Packers trade WR Davante Adams to the Raiders

deltarich87

If I'm Metcalf I want out of Seattle..badly.    Drew Lock as my starting QB heading into my contract year? 🤑

Brandin Cooks has been over 1000 yards in 6 of the last 7 years - Goff couldn't get him the ball in the other year.   5th in receiving yards since 2015...one spot behind Davante Adams.   Smaller receiver but isn't exclusively a slot receiver.  Also on an expiring contract.   Would have to be willing to leave the All-Pro Davis Mills though

Tyler Lockett - Same as Metcalf.    Age 29 at half the cost of Davante.

Cordarelle Patterson - would be interesting and Falcons gave a blueprint on how he should be used but with Jones and Dillon already in town he wouldn't get anywhere close to the 150 carries he received and that limits his value

•  

49 minutes ago, Pugger said:

One guy wants to be in GB and other wanted out.  I'll take the one happy to be in GB.

As I said months ago, the Packers aren't bringing disgruntled players into their locker room. I thought this would go into the Summer, but I'm not surprised in the least.   

Derek Carr just came off a 10-7 season with a 94 QB rating (previous two were 100+), 4th consecutive 67.3-70+ completion %, 4800 yards and absolutely no one to throw the ball to other than the 9 games Waller was actually healthy.  He is criminally underrated.   Hate to see Davante go but he's going to a good spot with the Raiders and 3x Pro Bowler Carr.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

Derek Carr just came off a 10-7 season with a 94 QB rating (previous two were 100+), 4th consecutive 67.3-70+ completion %, 4800 yards and absolutely no one to throw the ball to other than the 9 games Waller was actually healthy.  He is criminally underrated.   Hate to see Davante go but he's going to a good spot with the Raiders and 3x Pro Bowler Carr.

He's properly rated. He's a mid-tier, borderline top 10 QB depending on the year. Watching his games is more telling than his stats tbqh. Just never see it with him when you're watching a full game. Lot of dead possessions due to his decisions, whether they be audibles or reads. He's fine but he's nothing to ever be excited about. He's basically a better Jimmy G with more operating room in calling the pass game.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

Obviously sad to lose one of my favourite players, but it was the right decision. I lost faith when I saw that we offered him more money than the Raiders did. Just a terrible business decision to pay a WR almost $30M when you don't have a discount QB. 

Also, what a terrible move for the Raiders. I will never support trading 1st round picks for a player to then give them a massive contract. Said it with Khalil Mack and Frank Clark, will say it when it happens again. No way is Adams worth $28M on top of two 4 year affordable starters. 

• Like 2

It will be interesting to watch what the Packers do with these picks.  Are they gearing towards a post Rodgers team?  Are they still all in for the Rodgers era?

I'm not sure you can draft rookie WRs and expect them to perform at a Super Bowl level?  

It should be interesting to see how we back fill the loss of Adams.  I've seen a few free agents names being suggested, but none are really exciting (imagine that).  Most of the names I've seen listed are either really old or are slot receivers (Jarvis Landry) and we already have Cobb for that.  So while I'm not excited about those players, one of them is probably coming to town.  On the trad front, we'd probably have to give up a high draft pick to get someone like Metcalf out of Seattle (even though I've heard rumblings he wants out) and he only has one year left on his contract so you certainly would not want to give up a first for him.  But overall it would be good to bring in one experience big receiver like a Julio Jones on a one or two year deal.

So that brings us to the draft.  Its pretty obvious that we are probably going to use one of the 4 top 60 picks in this draft on a wide receiver....maybe even two of them.  Taking a wide receiver in the draft has been shown to be a hit or miss proposition.  If your lucky enough to draft a guy like Jefferson like the Vikings did, your GM looks like a hero.  Another plus you get to pay a first or second round draft pick a lot less than what Adams got paid so it really helps our salary cap.  Downside is that there have been a ton of first round busts too.  Luckily there are a ton of promising wide receivers in this year's draft class.  So let's hope that our luck in drafting wide receivers continues.  My personal favorites here are Jameson Williams who I believe has the best extra gear and instant acceleration for a wide receiver in this draft and Garret Wilson who reminds me of Greg Jennings in the first round.  Williams has the much better chance of being there at our pick due to his ACL injury which will pull him down into the later half of the first round (good news is that his ACL was a simple tear with no other damage so the healing should go quicker and better).  Problem is he won't be available until November or December and he is a rookie so he still needs to learn the offense.

Finally, we really need a tight end big time now.  Tonyan is still available, but he tore his ACL in early November so he probably will not be ready by the beginning of the season.  I've heard we are interested in Hooper, the free agent tight end from Cleveland.  This is definitely a hole we need to plug and I wish we could have gotten the Raiders to throw their tight end Moreau into the trade we made.  I really like him as he is a solid all around tight end.  Very good blocker and he is slowly becoming a better route runner and receiver.  Caught 30 passes last year and really showed some good things.

One last thought on a different front.  There are some real QB desperate teams out there, so I expect a trade of Love to one of those teams that I hope gets us a 2nd round pick.  If we get that pick it gets us the ammo to trade up in the first round for one of the top wide receivers. 

All I can say is that watching this year's draft is going to be exciting.  Four picks in the top 60.

27 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Cole Beasley is like 80 years old. Why do people want him?

Because he's still pretty good? We have oft-injured Cobb coming off 28 catches and Amari Rodgers couldn't even crack the rotation. These are the slots people are supposedly comfortable with.

Edited by Bullet Club
  • Like 1

Lance Zierlein -   The Texans got a 2nd rounder for Deandre Hopkins when he was the best WR in football and was headed for a new contract (and they had to take on David Johnson's bad contract).

GB got 1st and 2nd round picks for the best WR in football and didn't have to take on a bad contract.