Packers trade WR Davante Adams to the Raiders

deltarich87

10 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

which brings us to the FF packer forum's favorite debate: do players WANT to play in GB

IN this case.... NO!

Except, do we actually believe the packers offered a better contract?  Or did they agree to say that to save face?

It’s based on structure… Adams wanted guarantees past year 1. I bet GB offered more, but Adams didn’t like the structure.

Because remember all these contracts can be fake as hell… you need to look at the guarantees and structure.

I bet GB fell short here because… you can’t pay everyone and with guys like Gary and Alexander and Jenkins coming up… GB needed relief somewhere.

1 minute ago, Gopackgonerd said:

The more surprising thing to me is Adams didnt wanna play for us anymore even if we paid him the same or higher. 

Davante was Derek Carr's best man at his wedding.

Davante grew up a huge Raiders fan and it was his lifelong dream to play for them.

It shouldn't be surprising

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gopackgonerd said:

The more surprising thing to me is Adams didnt wanna play for us anymore even if we paid him the same or higher. 

Eh… is it? He had a chance to go play with his college QB, who he clearly really likes…if not genuinely loves like a brother.

His GB QB is actively talking retirement, signed basically a 2 year commitment and then we will see deal. Adams likely feels he will see all 5 years of that deal in LV… I doubt he would here in GB.

7 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I was told Lazard is a great #2 because of his excellent blocking

In LaFleur’s system that’s true. I mean… There’s a reason why Aaron Rodgers played better without Adams than with him.

The problem isn’t Lazard being our #2, the problem is Rodgers expecting Lazard to be able to do what he wants him to do, not what the system dictates he do.

When your QB knows what he’s supposed to do and doesn’t and you can see on film that if he had done what he was supposed to do it was better than what he did, that’s a pretty good indication that the system is fine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I do say it is a bit of a relief to not be betting huge on a great player staying great in his 30s.  For sure this has happened, but it hasn't always happened.

Julio is busted at 31/32. Adams has potentially 2 more years of greatness. He needs to hope he stays healthy because that got Julio.

Adams needs to hope he has a Larry Fitzgerald type back end of his career.

3 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Easy call for Adams.

Play and live in Las Vegas vs Green Bay.

The uncertainty of Rodgers future, is he playing 1 year, 2 years, 3 years???

Adams likely gets 5 years with Carr vs a unknown QB in years 3-5 in Green Bay. 

Easy call.

• Like 1

Thank you Davante for everything you have done for GB. You will forever be one of my all-time favorites. He absolutely deserved to be the top paid WR in the league and it's cool that he will be able to play for the team he grew up rooting for and with college QB.

I am still shocked by the trade. A first and second round pick plus 20 million in cap space is a tremendous return for a WR going on 30. If you would've told me before the offseason that Rodgers would be extended and Adams was jettisoned out of town I would've call you crazy. Really thought this would be the other way around. Really wonder if Adams was growing tired with Rodgers antics the last few season? I feel like it definitely a contributing factor for him leaving GB.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, PackFan13 said:

I think it's funny people instantly write off Julio. He's an all time talent and for the right price he'd be a big get. He's not what he was but he's still far better than anything we currently have at wr

When you see numbers fall off drastically two years in row it's going to raise some red flags.  If it's a minimum deal with incentives I'd take a shot, but I would want to count on him to be my #1 option.

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

that’s a pretty good indication that the system is fine.

The "system" was originally designed to support an aging QB with: scheme and a powerful running game.
Elway rode it to back to back SBs on the back of Terrell Davis. The system has been modified massively since then - but the underlying impetus for creating it was that its very hard to find a franchise QB. So designing an offense that doesn't require a franchise QB to be successful is a cheat code for the NFL. Bill Walsh did the same thing with the WCO because he didn't have a strong armed QB in Cincy. Necessity is the Mother of invention

And even when you do have a franchise QB, they age and their play dips...and the system/scheme takes care of that- extending the SB window for teams with senior citizens at QB.

• Like 1