Packers trade WR Davante Adams to the Raiders

deltarich87

Gutekunst has proved over and again he really is hard to predict, whether it is the surprise draft picks they've made the last two years, the free agents brought in, or who is kept and who is traded. Jump back in time about a month and tell me if you predicted all this. No-one would have got it all right, and probably most are way off on several of the recent deals/releases/trades. For example how many thought Davante would be gone (and for a first and second round pick) when Rodgers was signed (even though he, Rodgers, was in the loop and knew he would be without Davante). How many thought we could keep Campbell ?

With four picks in the first two rounds there are many ways to go. Even though it isn't a good year for DTs, four picks gives the Packers multiple chances to get one the few good D lineman many of us have wanted for years, to play alongside Kenny Clark. With those picks you could take a WR, Edge, DL and TE, all of whom you would hope are future starters. Maybe a talented developmental OT to round things out in round three.

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm pretty sure there was a conversation between TT and a reported YEARS ago (back after Corey Williams was tagged and traded) and he said that tagging and trading is a last resort.  Corey Williams is the only Packer player I remember being tagged with the intention of trading.

I think it's extremely clear this FO operates VERY differently from Wolf/TT et al.

Applying those rules to this team is setting yourself up for surprise

• Like 1

From an emotional standpoint, it sucks losing Davante Adams.  He's one of the easiest players to root for, and watch.  Losing Greg Jennings hurts, but he just never had that same charisma that Davante Adams.  Jordy Nelson was up there with Davante Adams as far as players you just can't stop rooting for.  Even after it felt like everyone and their dog wanted to release Davante Adams after his disastrous sophomore season, he was a class act.

From an on-field standpoint, he averaged 154 passing attempts per season over the last four seasons on an average of 14 games per season.  That's not going to be easily replaceable.  The WR room is absolutely barren right now with Allen Lazard, Randall Cobb, and Amari Rodgers as your top 3 WRs and those 3 combined for 72 receptions, 933 receiving yards, and 13 TD receptions compared to 123 receptions, 1553 receiving yards, and 11 TD receptions for Adams this year.  And I don't think there's a SINGLE WR in FA that is available that is going to replace that production.

I'd imagine that the Packers will likely sign a veteran WR (Julio Jones makes sense to me in a short-term, incentive-based deal) and grab a couple of WRs relatively high in the draft.

Just now, skibrett15 said:

I think it's extremely clear this FO operates VERY differently from Wolf/TT et al.

Applying those rules to this team is setting yourself up for surprise

Did I say they wouldn't?  No.  I just said it was unlikely.  And given that the Packers reportedly offered him more money then the Raiders did, it's apparent that Gute made this deal to keep the whole Adams situation from blowing up further.

2 hours ago, JBURGE said:

I lost faith when I saw that we offered him more money than the Raiders did. Just a terrible business decision to pay a WR almost $30M when you don't have a discount QB. 

1 hour ago, VegasDan said:

But if we offered him more money (which I think was foolish) I am fine by all of this.

I’ve seen the tweets saying that Davante’s agents said we offered more but maybe that’s Adams’ way of saying that GB made an effort to make both sides look good.  It wouldn’t surprise me if we tried to match it but I doubt $30m/yr.  

I mean, if the Raiders were willing to offer more than the Packers could they'd just sign him to an offer sheet and give back basically the same compensation.  But in offering a trade and getting everybody to sign onto it you prevent the situation where the Packers do match and everybody lacks gruntlement.

15 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Let someone else overpay for him.  If someone wants to offer him $10M/year, I'll gladly collect the 5th round comp pick for letting him walk.  I think I'd rather go roll through the garbage bin of veteran WRs and buy low on someone and then draft a pair of WRs in the draft relatively early.

3 years.  $25M.  $13M guaranteed.  You doing that for MVS?

Now, since that is what I want, I'm usually wrong by 30% on these things.  So...

3 years.  $32.5M.  17M guaranteed.  You doing that deal?

(I'm a yes to option 1, no to option 2.)  Just curious.  

3 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

I’ve seen the tweets saying that Davante’s agents said we offered more but maybe that’s Adams’ way of saying that GB made an effort to make both sides look good.  It wouldn’t surprise me if we tried to match it but I doubt $30m/yr.  

This is where I was going with that earlier. Made it looked like we tried but it was his decision. Doesn't matter either way but that same thought crossed my mind. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gopackgo972 said:

The only players on this list I’m even remotely interested in would be Crowder, Juju and maybe Watkins. Other that’s it’s a trash heap. 

3463-B48-E-528-A-4-E28-AADC-FD4-C3-E534-

Watkins is a big no.  Always hurt, has like 1 good game every season to keep his name relevant.  He's 7 years removed from his only 1000 yard season (his next best being 673 in 2019.   I thought he was going to be an absolute superstar coming into the league.  Nope.

I want to like the idea of JuJu but man it better be a very cheap, very short-term prove it deal.  He's young, tough, willing blocker, had 1 great season 4 years ago.   He's also averaged 8.6 Y/R over his last 21 games and nobody seems to want to touch the guy this year or last.   8.6 Y/R is terrible for any non-RB and it can't be just because Roethlisberger has a noodle arm at this point.  Marcedes Lewis only averaged less than that 1 time in his 16 yr career.

Not going to move the needle and he's a #4 type but Zach Pascal is a better player than ESB was/is and should be cheap

I think people have the impression that Vegas=The Strip, when that's really not true at all.  It's very easy to live in Vegas and just never go there.  You get 3 blocks away and it's basically like any other modern city (there's a great place for pancakes not far away from the craziness).

The reasons for not wanting to live in Vegas have more to do with the climate (you are literally living in the desert) than anything else.  But people also choose to live in Arizona.

• Like 2