Packers trade WR Davante Adams to the Raiders

deltarich87

I don't mind giving MVS a considerable 2-3 year deal with low guarantees. It gives us time to develop a WR and he can take over once MVS hits FA again.

You're not going to replace Adams. There's literally no-one of his talent level on the market right now. Maybe we will get lucky in the draft and find an immediate elite contributor otherwise we're relying on spreading the wealth, be more team orientated and be patient developing our next future stars.

Julio is interesting having played in Shanahan's system before but I rather invest money on someone who is likely to play rather than nursing an injury on the sidelines. Why have Julio when MVS can be that guy. He too knows the system and he has the size, speed and athletic ability to futher flesh out his game.

1 minute ago, Chili said:

Julio is interesting having played in Shanahan's system before but I rather invest money on someone who is likely to play rather than nursing an injury on the sidelines. Why have Julio when MVS can be that guy. He too knows the system and he has the size, speed and athletic ability to futher flesh out his game.

There's no upside with MVS.  He's a decent deep threat, but doesn't offer much else.  If Julio Jones regains his form, you're getting an All-Pro WR for dirt cheap.  If he struggles to stay healthy, your young WRs get valuable reps and are forced to produce.  I don't really see that middle ground for Julio Jones.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

There's no upside with MVS.  He's a decent deep threat, but doesn't offer much else.  If Julio Jones regains his form, you're getting an All-Pro WR for dirt cheap.  If he struggles to stay healthy, your young WRs get valuable reps and are forced to produce.  I don't really see that middle ground for Julio Jones.

Julio Jones is 33 years old and oft injured and MVS is the one with no updside?

23 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

Serious question, what are the particulars behind Julio being washed up? How much of a step has he lost? Has he not refined his route running and the like to compensate for it? Is it entirely injury-related?

Here's a cut-up with most of his catches from last season. Judge for yourself.

Julio'21

He appears to be little more than a possession receiver at this point. He still plays a physical game and has plus ball skills but the elite explosion is definitely gone. 

1 minute ago, Les Punting said:

Julio'21

He appears to be little more than a possession receiver at this point. He still plays a physical game and has plus ball skills but the elite explosion is definitely gone. 

How was he as a blocker? I honestly never thought about it.

1 minute ago, Les Punting said:

Julio'21

He’s had so many lower body injuries, he’s a shell of his former self at this point. But if he’s cheap, sure why not

22 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

spoken like someone who's probably never spent any real time there :)

Today it's bright and sunny, (as it is 95% of the time) 70+ degrees, and if I step outside I'm gazing at the Strip in one direction and then I turn and face mountains so close it feels like you could reach out and touch them. Davante chose a spectacular place to live. Not so sure on his choice of teams to play for, but he's going to love living here.

Side note: The house he's buying (went under contract 2/13, closes 3/28) was just purchased 15 months ago for $5.7M, He's presumably paying at or near the list price of $12M. Quite the win for the sellers doubling their investment in less than a year and a half. And Davante must have had a pretty good notion that either he'd get to Vegas this year or next.

Edited by Mr Anonymous

1 minute ago, Arthur Penske said:

Julio Jones is 33 years old and oft injured and MVS is the one with no updside?

Yes.  MVS has put up the same numbers all four years in the league.  His bulk numbers might go up a little bit because of the volume of passing attempts, but the production isn't going to change drastically.  He's a solid WR, but he's the exact same type of player you let walk as a FA.  Let someone else overpay.  I'm not saying Julio Jones will return to his All-Pro form, but he's shown the ability to be an elite receiver.  Hell, I'd argue that 75% of Julio Jones is significantly better then 100% MVS.

1 minute ago, gopackgo972 said:

He’s had so many lower body injuries, he’s a shell of his former self at this point. But if he’s cheap, sure why not

Physically?  Yes.  He's no longer that 4.39 WR he was coming out of college.

7 minutes ago, Les Punting said:

Julio'21

I don't think he's quite as explosive but, to be fair, his production from last year was probably capped by Tannehill/the Titan's offensive system. 

Even AJ Brown, who is an explosive threat in his own right, had down years in terms of yards per reception (13.8) and yards per target (8.3). Jones was at 14.0 and 9.0.

Edited by Striker

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Yes.  MVS has put up the same numbers all four years in the league.  His bulk numbers might go up a little bit because of the volume of passing attempts, but the production isn't going to change drastically.  He's a solid WR, but he's the exact same type of player you let walk as a FA.  Let someone else overpay.  I'm not saying Julio Jones will return to his All-Pro form, but he's shown the ability to be an elite receiver.  Hell, I'd argue that 75% of Julio Jones is significantly better then 100% MVS.

If we got Julio on a deal, I’d be all for it but with this WR market, I feel like someone will pay for the name alone. He would look great in GB, but definitely a gamble if we pay a premium. 

4 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Today it's bright and sunny, (as it is 95% of the time) 70+ degrees, and if I step outside I'm gazing at the Strip in one direction and then I turn and face mountains so close it feels like you could reach out and touch them. Davante chose a spectacular place to live. Not so sure on his choice of teams to play for, but he's going to love living here.

Side note: The house he's buying (went under contract 2/13, closes 3/28) was just purchased 15 months ago for $5.7M, He's presumably paying at or near the list price of $12M. Quite the win for the sellers doubling their investment in less than a year and a half. And Davante must have had a pretty good notion that either he'd get to Vegas this year or next.

His mom lives in Vegas… I think Adams just wanted a house by his mom and was likely to get it regardless. Remember Rodgers is getting a house in Nashville and has had a Malibu and or San Diego home for years while in GB.

I think the house means nothing. It was a chance to have a nice place near his family and if he wasn’t a packer he was likely going to force his way to LV to be with Carr.