DC Movie Universe

devils1854

Cavill is great in the role so i'm happy that he'll continue to play it.  It'd be weird if he doesn't get any stand alone movies since Man of Steel was my favorite DCEU movie, but then again, that's essentially what Marvel did with Iron Man after Iron Man 3 which came out in early phase 2.  They need storylines to have him off world though like the MCU did with Thor and Hulk, because Superman is essentially the every answer to any other solo movie if he is on earth.

On 5/28/2020 at 7:52 PM, THE DUKE said:

Cavill is great in the role so i'm happy that he'll continue to play it.  It'd be weird if he doesn't get any stand alone movies since Man of Steel was my favorite DCEU movie, but then again, that's essentially what Marvel did with Iron Man after Iron Man 3 which came out in early phase 2.  They need storylines to have him off world though like the MCU did with Thor and Hulk, because Superman is essentially the every answer to any other solo movie if he is on earth.

Yeah, but Iron Man had 3 solo movies and was part of a well established universe.

Love or hate Man of Steel, Superman has been poorly developed in a trainwreck of a  cinematic universe that doesnt even really exist any more and if it does connect, its going to be pretty pathetic.

On 5/28/2020 at 6:00 PM, FourThreeMafia said:

Cavill is apparently returning as Superman, but may be used similar to how Hulk was used in the MCU....no standalone films, but a large presence in the universe.  Apparently he is likely to be in the next Shazam.

Sounds like this may have just been old rumors recirculating with the “reports” now attaching the planned/scheduled DC movies to it, when prior it was just a vague “will appear in other movies, not his own”. 

Not that they won’t do this, but doesn’t seem like there is any new truth to these than there were months ago

We all know they won’t, but they should just run out the current cast they have, make the money on a few more WW and Aquaman Films, maybe even another Shazam and a Flash movie, then reset in like 2025 or whatever. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Sounds like this may have just been old rumors recirculating with the “reports” now attaching the planned/scheduled DC movies to it, when prior it was just a vague “will appear in other movies, not his own”. 

Not that they won’t do this, but doesn’t seem like there is any new truth to these than there were months ago

We all know they won’t, but they should just run out the current cast they have, make the money on a few more WW and Aquaman Films, maybe even another Shazam and a Flash movie, then reset in like 2025 or whatever. 

This is what I’m hoping for.  I know with how much they’ve got in production or pre-production, we’re not getting a fresh DCEU for at least 5 years.

What I’m afraid of is a monster hit for them.  I’m really hoping Wonder Woman 2 bombs and bombs hard.

If Batman is a major hit I could have hope that they will use that as the new launching point, but I’m terrified that Aquaman 2 or Wonder Woman 2 or Shazam 2 are monster hits because that would just make them do a third and delay the reboot.

14 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

You can reset and still keep Cavill, Gal, Mamoa.

Recast flash if you need to have, his movie reset the universe 

Sure you could, weve all acknowledged that long ago. But they wont.

Im not sure they are smart enough, and pretty confident they are not adept enough to successfully pull that off. So what I am proposing, is instead of ruining another reboot of a Universe ontop of this burning trash pile, just have them make their money on what is established, and prep for a totally fresh restart as those current iterations putter out  

16 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

What I’m afraid of is a monster hit for them.  I’m really hoping Wonder Woman 2 bombs and bombs hard.

While I never hope for a movie to bomb, I dont think we have to worry about WW84 being the film to rejuvenate the entire DCEU.

Her first movie wasnt amazing (really falls apart on rewatch) and now that weve gotten a Captain Marvel, and will also have Black Widow by then, the novelty that propelled WW's longevity on its initial run wont be there. It will have to do it solely on its one film merits. And I just dont trust any track record of the current WB/DC suits to let a film ever be that good, they will have to insert themselves in some way. (plus, frankly, I dont think what we know if the story they story they chose will allow it to find huge success) They are about 3 years late to cash in on the 80s nostalgia

Aquaman 2 im not worried will do that. They dont seem to know how to handle his best stories, and are looking toward lesser things (like the Trench) instead anyway. Shazam! was already great and no one went to see it, so unless they throw both Cavil's Superman and The Rock's Black Adam in there, I dont think it poses much of a threat either.

On 5/30/2020 at 4:01 PM, FourThreeMafia said:

Yeah, but Iron Man had 3 solo movies and was part of a well established universe.

Love or hate Man of Steel, Superman has been poorly developed in a trainwreck of a  cinematic universe that doesnt even really exist any more and if it does connect, its going to be pretty pathetic.

The Snyder films were supposed to be all about Supermans arc. From birth (MoS) to death (BvS) to resurrection (JL 1 and 2) as well as MoS2 that never got made. If allowed to happen it would of been an amazing storyline arc for Superman

The director of BoP tried to dispel the deleted scene rumors on Twitter. In her attempt to do this she basically admitted everything was true. The one distinction was instead of a picture of real genetalia it was picture of a statue of him that had small genetalia. That was still the focus of the scene and was replaced in the final cut. Insane.

2 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

The director of BoP tried to dispel the deleted scene rumors on Twitter. In her attempt to do this she basically admitted everything was true. The one distinction was instead of a picture of real genetalia it was picture of a statue of him that had small genetalia. That was still the focus of the scene and was replaced in the final cut. Insane.

It seems you are misrepresenting what Cathy Yan actually said.

She lashed back at Grace Randolph (who Ive already balked at once in this thread when someone tried to use her as a source of information) who is continuing to peddle the lie of **** Pics being used in the plot of BoP. I cant find anywhere that Yan admitted anything about Pics or a Statue or anything. There were other "insiders" under the back and forth between Yan/Randolph that then go into the potential of the Statue that you mention.But unless Im missing it, which wouldnt be hard to do since her timeline is filled with much more salient topics right now, I dont see her admitting anything.

And even if said statue (of which it is clearly shown he is an art collector) was the focus at one point, I and plenty of others around here had to bang the table over and over that there is no way WB/DC would allow that to be part of the final cut, especially with a young girl being the one to get ahold of the McGuffin. So what does it even matter?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

It seems you are misrepresenting what Cathy Yan actually said.

She lashed back at Grace Randolph (who Ive already balked at once in this thread when someone tried to use her as a source of information) who is continuing to peddle the lie of **** Pics being used in the plot of BoP. I cant find anywhere that Yan admitted anything about Pics or a Statue or anything. There were other "insiders" under the back and forth between Yan/Randolph that then go into the potential of the Statue that you mention.But unless Im missing it, which wouldnt be hard to do since her timeline is filled with much more salient topics right now, I dont see her admitting anything.

And even if said statue (of which it is clearly shown he is an art collector) was the focus at one point, I and plenty of others around here had to bang the table over and over that there is no way WB/DC would allow that to be part of the final cut, especially with a young girl being the one to get ahold of the McGuffin. So what does it even matter?

Yan: And I thank you for the support. But let's set the record straight: there were never D pics. You peddling a pedophilia rumour is not journalism. Peddling any gossip is not journalism. I know. I was one.

Randolph: MULTIPLE reporters confirmed that story after I reported it, said it was great & should be kept in film & didn't like it taken out.

And D picks aren't pedophilia 

Plus as former journalist you should realize the optics of now pretending you have a suddenly better "Yan cut"

Randolph shows retweet of another reviewer who saw the test screening referring to D pics

Randolph: The storyline was that you could see Roman's D on the statue in the picture of the diamond - and he was upset it looked so 'small' so that's why he was fixated on getting it back.

A picture of a statue's ****, especially in this context, is a **** pic.

Yan:  This is not true. There has never been any discussion of Roman's d. I can't believe I even have to write that! The original script called for an image of Roman as Michelangelo's David. You know? Art? 

If that's a **** pic then louvre is full of them.

Fan: Honest question. If the pic was tasteful why was he so hellbent on getting it back?

Yan: It was a joke to show how narcissist he is. It didn't work - we all agreed - s we rewrote some ADR. That's it. Absolutely no reshoots we're devoted devoted to this nonsense.

Was the genitalia in the film? Yes, confirmed.

Was the scene removed? Yes, confirmed.

Was the main plot centered around the genitalia? Inconclusive.

1 hour ago, Bullet Club said:

Yan:  This is not true. There has never been any discussion of Roman's d. I can't believe I even have to write that! The original script called for an image of Roman as Michelangelo's David. You know? Art? 

If that's a **** pic then louvre is full of them.

Fan: Honest question. If the pic was tasteful why was he so hellbent on getting it back?

Yan: It was a joke to show how narcissist he is. It didn't work - we all agreed - s we rewrote some ADR. That's it. Absolutely no reshoots we're devoted devoted to this nonsense.

Yep, missed this, it was in her responses not regular tweets

But as she is pointing out, it was a joke that didnt work. Pretty sure I said this was EXACTLY the case, and some wannabe "insider" tried to spin this as some sort of pivotal plot point, and the reason that the movie was "a mess" or whatever. Thats the real point here, that a plot line that didnt work, with a joke that was distasteful and unfunny at best, which was Fixed pretty easily was turned into some erroneous report which lead to stories about pedophilia in this film. Thats just irresponsible 

39 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Yep, missed this, it was in her responses not regular tweets

But as she is pointing out, it was a joke that didnt work. Pretty sure I said this was EXACTLY the case, and some wannabe "insider" tried to spin this as some sort of pivotal plot point, and the reason that the movie was "a mess" or whatever. Thats the real point here, that a plot line that didnt work, with a joke that was distasteful and unfunny at best, which was Fixed pretty easily was turned into some erroneous report which lead to stories about pedophilia in this film. Thats just irresponsible 

I've never seen the pedo talk until today. My point is that it was there. It may have been exaggerated but it was legit and they did take it out.

So, for some reason, I went back and watched Justice League again, and gave it the best I could in regards to giving it a fair chance, but it didnt change a thing.  Its as bad as i remember and no amount of views is going to make it better.   In fact, its worse.

When it comes to Batman and the Justice League, I am not hard to please, either.    I love the characters WHEN DONE RIGHT, and thats the biggest issue.   The only one who I didnt have major issues with was Wonder Woman, and to a lesser extent, Cyborg (if only because he felt largely inconsequential)

I loved Batman and Affleck in BvS.   I couldve done without the killing, but I understood what they were driving at.      However, in Justice League I just felt like he was watered down.   He was supposedly turning over a new leaf in honor of Clark/Superman, but that entire story arc was terrible even in BvS, and it just gets worse in JL.     They rushed everything so much that nothing feels natural about the progression of the characters, especially the relationships....ESPECIALLY between Batman and Superman.      Its just like "Batman hates Superman because reasons.....and now he likes him because he died.     Stupid as F.    

Superman was necessarily bad, but again, the entire Death and Resurrection of Superman was terrible executed in every imaginable way.

As much as I liked Aquaman the movie, I did not like Mamoa or the character in JL, mostly due to horrendous writing.   They made him too much of a "dude" and forced in alot of humor that neither Mamoa or Aquaman shouldve had.    Aquaman, the movie, shouldve came before JL IMO.   Actually, several other movies shouldve came before the first JL, but whatever.  

Im going to say it now, Ezra Miller is not that good of an actor, and he absolutely sucked as the Flash.    I remember reading Ezra was cast as Flash mainly for his supposed comedic chops, but he isnt funny.     The writing didnt help, no doubt, but he reminds me more of someone that uncomfortably tries to be funnier than they actually are.      None of the jokes landed.     There was literally nothing I liked about him.

Cyborg....just kinda there.      Might be more critical of him if everything else wasnt a trainwreck.

The visual effects were largely awful and mostly unnecessary.    There is one scene where Diana and Cyborg are talking, and the street CG.  WHY?!?!?!?    You couldnt find a real ******* street to film on?     What is wrong with practical effects?     It felt like most of the movie was filmed on a green screen, and then they hired a junior graphics designer to do the effects.

The villain COULD have worked, even if he is largely uninteresting and boring, if only to set up Darkseid, but he wasnt set up well at all.     Still, if they did it the right way, Superman dying wouldve never been part of this and they couldve/shouldve taken on a character like Brainiac or the Sinestro Corps.

The only thing I can really say positive about this movie is much of the action was at least solid....but that doesnt come close to making up for everything else.

All this movie does is make me appreciate the MCU so much more.    The MCU isnt perfect, but for 10 years, it gave fans the hereoes the way they were meant to be (for the most part) and the creative liberties were done well.    And most of all, it didnt rush or force things like the DCEU did.      

Up until Justice League, I had hope for the DCEU turning it around.   JL put the final nail in the coffin for me, and I have zero faith going forward.

• Like 1