WR Antonio Brown won't undergo required ankle surgery until team signs him

RaidersAreOne

18 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'll say it:

I'm tired of the complete trump card that people give AB for "potential mental illness". Maybe he has it and maybe he doesn't, but he's still accountable for his actions, so I'm personally not giving him a pass for acting like a petulant child.

Feel free to disagree with me. I'll respect your opinion and agree to disagree and move on.

Honestly, I agree 100%. Listen, not to make my business public, not gonna get into details, but I understand that mental illness is a real issue, it's a complex one, it's different for everyone. I speak from experience.

But at some point, it's gotta stop being used as an excuse. He has to be able to just act like an adult and take responsibility for his actions.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

Honestly, I agree 100%. Listen, not to make my business public, not gonna get into details, but I understand that mental illness is a real issue, it's a complex one, it's different for everyone. I speak from experience.

But at some point, it's gotta stop being used as an excuse. He has to be able to just act like an adult and take responsibility for his actions.

No doubt!

Mental illness is 100% a thing and if he has it, I hope he gets help. He also has to admit he has a problem and needs help, and he clearly isn't interested in that yet. Accountability has turned into a 4 letter word in our society and we have really started to irrationally embrace the "villains" as victims in too many cases.

JMHO

• Like 10

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Seems entirely possible that it's a cover for being broke. Assuming you have to formally retire to get access to the former player insurance coveage.

And he's not under contract, either.   He certainly has enough service time to qualify, but if he's unsigned, I do think he has to be retired to start his post-career clock.

As crazy as it sounds, he could be in a situation where he can't afford it.   If he can afford it, well, it's a bad decision.  But it's one in a string of bad decisions, so wouldn't be a shocker, either.

1 hour ago, soflbillsfan said:

So you want a team to pay you to sit at home recovering from surgery?

Absent the surrounding circumstances, this is really commonplace.

In baseball, there are pitchers who have ended the previous year needing Tommy John Surgery, and they tend to sign 2 year deals with a really low salary in year 1, and then what they would normally make in year 2. That way they can spend the year rehabbing with the same training staff they're going to be working with once they formally sign.

But obviously with AB the situation is different.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

And he's not under contract, either.   He certainly has enough service time to qualify, but if he's unsigned, I do think he has to be retired to start his post-career clock.

As crazy as it sounds, he could be in a situation where he can't afford it.   If he can afford it, well, it's a bad decision.  But it's one in a string of bad decisions, so wouldn't be a shocker, either.

He'd be paying out of pocket, going to a premier surgeon, and the amount of physical therapy he'd need is going to produce a massive bill. I wouldn't be surprised at all if all told a relatively routine surgery with a good chunk of PT after for a top of the line pro athlete ran over a million bucks.

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

He'd be paying out of pocket, going to a premier surgeon, and the amount of physical therapy he'd need is going to produce a massive bill. I wouldn't be surprised at all if all told a relatively routine surgery with a good chunk of PT after for a top of the line pro athlete ran over a million bucks.

I was thinking 500K, but yes, it's massive.     Again, it wouldn't be a shocker if he doesn't have it anymore.   And more importantly, he might see this is an unfair situation - the irony of course being that he forced the issue of not having surgery by basically losing it on the field that Sunday afternoon.

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I was thinking 500K, but yes, it's massive.     Again, it wouldn't be a shocker if he doesn't have it anymore.   And more importantly, he might see this is an unfair situation - the irony of course being that he forced the issue of not having surgery by basically losing it on the field that Sunday afternoon.

Yeah he wouldn't have health coverage since he hasn't signed, and it's been more than 60 days since the Bucs cut him so COBRA would be out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

why would he be paying out of pocket? Just cause he is a free agent doesnt mean he isnt on the NFL insurance policy. Players who are still in the league or recently retired on a team or not are covered with insurance for up to 5 years as long as he has been in the league more then the minimum requirement of 3 years. 

7 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Absent the surrounding circumstances, this is really commonplace.

In baseball, there are pitchers who have ended the previous year needing Tommy John Surgery, and they tend to sign 2 year deals with a really low salary in year 1, and then what they would normally make in year 2. That way they can spend the year rehabbing with the same training staff they're going to be working with once they formally sign.

But obviously with AB the situation is different.

Situation is definitely different baseball It is all guarantees and he is also about to be 34 years old. Waiting for a team to make the decision to have surgery is only going to turn teams off as off season workouts will be coming up and any team he signs to that isnt Tampa he has to build a chemistry with his qb, not to mention how much he is seeking. If he quit on Tampa due to his ankle bothering him that much why wait to get the surgery, another reason why teams should avoid him as that is another item added to the mental baggage he carries.

7 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

why would he be paying out of pocket? Just cause he is a free agent doesnt mean he isnt on the NFL insurance policy. Players who are still in the league or recently retired on a team or not are covered with insurance for up to 5 years as long as he has been in the league more then the minimum requirement of 3 years.

https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/website/Departments/Benefits/NFL-PIP-SPD-Final-15.pdf

In general, a Player is eligible for benefits if, on a regular or post-season game date of his Club, he has a Qualifying Benefit Status, which is limited to the following designations:

• Active

• Higher Risk Opt-Out Player (2020 Plan Year Only)

• Inactive

• Opt-Out Player who either earned a Credited Season under the Pension Plan and/or for Minimum Salary purposes for the 2019 Season or is a 2020 College Drafted Player (2020 Plan Year Only)

• Reserve/COVID-19 (2020 Plan Year Only)

• Reserve/Injured

• Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform

• Practice Squad

• International Practice Squad

• Practice Squad Exception

• Practice Squad; Injured

AB doesn't qualify for any of those as far as I can tell. And he's not officially retired, so would he be eligible as a former player?

EDIT: @soflbillsfan, you're right. There's an 18 month COBRA period that's offered to veteran players as a standard. Page 9, and then 57-58.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 2

it's certainly a thing to want to get away from your work place ASAP if they're causing you harm

but doing it in a way that gets you off their insurance with months of repair & rehab looming is unfortunate

sometimes the learning curve is steep, the grass isn't greener

maybe players get better individual treatment when they stay with their franchise and have fan support/endorsements and other intangibles to get the front office to manage their meltdowns

14 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

There's an 18 month COBRA period that's offered to veteran players as a standard.

Yes, but AB is responsible for paying the full cost of the premiums- and since this is a Deluxe Cadillac plan - its super expensive. NFL players are considered high risk and they are entitled to the best of the best for surgery etc. So their premiums are HUGE - and there's no team to eat half of it right now

I've seen estimates around $3000 per month for each player on a team, so I'm guessing its  north of $ 6k/ month for AB's COBRA payment and I'm not sure how many kids/moms he is including- which can make it even more expensive. We also know that AB struggles to pay people who work for him -  so it isn't a surprise that he chafes at writing the COBRA check each month. There might be a deductible he has to hit too.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Yes, but AB is responsible for paying the full cost of the premiums- and since this is a Deluxe Cadillac plan - its super expensive. NFL players are considered high risk and they are entitled to the best of the best for surgery etc. So their premiums are HUGE - and there's no team to eat half of it right now

I've seen estimates around $3000 per month for each player on a team, so I'm guessing its  north of $ 6k/ month for AB's COBRA payment and I'm not sure how many kids/moms he is including- which can make it even more expensive. We also know that AB struggles to pay people who work for him -  so it isn't a surprise that he chafes at writing the COBRA check each month. There might be a deductible he has to hit too.

Now listen here, you three.  I get enough of the HR talk at home.  I don't need it brought up and discussed in one of my escape avenues.

• Like 4