Eagles legend Frank Gore to retire

Forge

3 hours ago, Forge said:

I'm pretty sure that he's going to get in.  I won't be mad about it. I also understand why people wouldn't vote for him and I wouldn't be mad about that and him not getting in either.  

Very weird case. I'm not even sure who the comparable is besides the obvious Curtis Martin.  Maybe Rivers?  I'm not even sure you can cross positional lines like that. At least not QB to RB. 

John Riggins. Didn't have that many dominant years. No one ever sees highlights of his prime when was a Jet. But Riggins does have the hallmark Super Bowl win as a Redskin in addition to a signature moment in Super Bowl 17 which got him the MVP. Gore at least getting a Super Bowl ring would help his case even at running back. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

I don’t think he’s a HOF, how many years was he considered top 5 at his position? Top 3? He was basically a compiler  the last 7 years. 

If he retired after 2014, he's a Hall of Famer. People just view his career negatively post SF because he was an average player. But that's because he stayed in the league too long and I'm not sure he should be punished for that.

The man's seven year prime of 2006-2012 can compete with almost any RB's prime. And seven years is already a long long time for a RB. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HerbertGOAT said:

Longevity is a very underrated skill in a sport where the average career is 3 years.

Especially at RB.

HOF doesn't always have to mean being the absolute best; you can make it in if you have a story to tell.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, biggie. said:

Especially at RB.

HOF doesn't always have to mean being the absolute best; you can make it in if you have a story to tell.

That said, is there really a story with Gore? He was tough as nails and lasted forever. Became a bit of a meme. He'll likely make it in and I'm not losing any sleep over it but its a pass from me, especially given the log jam with so many other players.

Just now, Teen Girl Squad said:

That said, is there really a story with Gore? He was tough as nails and lasted forever. Became a bit of a meme. He'll likely make it in and I'm not losing any sleep over it but its a pass from me, especially given the log jam with so many other players.

The longevity is the story, tbh. He destroyed his knees multiple times in college (and his shoulder) and people didn't think he was going to last. His body would betray him. Then he goes on to that kind of career. It's a good story (and one you will no doubt hear regurgitated multiple times if he's inducted).

The fact that the media loves Gore and ate up that story is going to help him quite a bit as well. 

• Like 1

Frank Gore is a guy who's been in the league so long people forget how great he was in his prime, and I think most of it is because by the time the 49ers even became good, Gore was already on the decline.

In this prime, there's a reason the "Inconvenient Truth" ran all over people, Gore was legit. I think he should be in the HOF regardless of longevity, but that sure as heck helps his case.

• Like 6