2022 NFL Draft Discussion Thread (NO SPOILERS!!!)

CWood21

1 hour ago, R T said:

Wondering where the folks are that just a couple of days ago insisted that the Packers don't draft the BPA on their board, but really just draft for need. Little did any of us know that ILB was the Packers greatest need. Lol   

They did it a little different way.  We needed that hybrid S/ILB type.  Though they would go Cine.   S that can play down in the box and hit.  Also cover.  Quay makes sense after hearing Gutey.  Thought they would target Chenal a little later on.  Same type of player thought maybe 3rd round.  He's the best left may go earlier now. If you think about it they just drafted 2 impact guys that will play immediately.  No problem with it.  By why Quay over Lloyd?

R2: Pickens*, Watson*, Pierce*, Shakir, Tolbert, Thornton*

R3: Velus Jones*, Skyy Moore, Ezukanma, Bell

R4-5: Metchie, Doubs, Austin Jr, Gray, Weston*

The stars indicates the players I like the most.

My gut feeling is we will double dip on WR tonight. Either both in the 2nd round or one in each round. There's lots of flexibility for different type of WR pairings.

For example if we draft Pickens or Pierce and, if we're lucky, we can pair him with Watson. If they're both gone maybe we can pair Watson with Thornton, Shakir or Tolbert.

If Watson is gone then Velus Jones becomes a key player for us as he can paired well with any one of Pickens, Pierce, Tolbert, Shakir and Thornton.

Weston is in play only if we fail to draft a big WR.

I can see at least 5 teams ahead of us who might want to draft a WR: Texans, Bears, Colts, Browns, Ravens.

Edited by Chili

1 hour ago, R T said:

Wondering where the folks are that just a couple of days ago insisted that the Packers don't draft the BPA on their board, but really just draft for need. Little did any of us know that ILB was the Packers greatest need. Lol   

I've been calling for GB to invest more heavily in the position for years and was routinely countered by dissertation length posts why the position wasnt worth it. 

Well - watching Tampa and Pittsburgh's ILBs fly all over the field (sideline / sideline / 20yds down) making plays seemed to disprove that -  but it wasnt till we snagged Campbell off the reclamation pile and (thankfully) he still had gas in his tank - that we learned of the potential benefits.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

I've been calling for GB to invest more heavily in the position for years and was routinely countered by dissertation length posts why the position wasnt worth it. 

Well - watching Tampa and Pittsburgh's ILBs fly all over the field (sideline / sideline / 20yds down) making plays seemed to disprove that -  but it wasnt till we snagged Campbell off the reclamation pile and (thankfully) he still had gas in his tank - that we learned of the potential benefits.

The ILB comment was sarcasm directed at the folks that insist that the Packers draft for need and not BPA. The picking of Walker can be debated as to why, but it hints at a win now move for a team that really doesn't have a 'need' on their roster. Mike Clay tracks the strength of rosters and has the Packers with the deepest, best roster in the NFL yet many Packer fans will be gripping all day about what they 'need'. 

4 minutes ago, R T said:

The ILB comment was sarcasm directed at the folks that insist that the Packers draft for need and not BPA. The picking of Walker can be debated as to why, but it hints at a win now move for a team that really doesn't have a 'need' on their roster. Mike Clay tracks the strength of rosters and has the Packers with the deepest, best roster in the NFL yet many Packer fans will be gripping all day about what they 'need'. 

Okay. I didnt pick up on the thread of your comments...enough to realize you were responding sarcastically to someone.

I actually dont have a problem with the players we selected. I'm all for dynamic play makers - but obviously (as you already well know......) I've been wanting just such a player at a different position.

Nuf sed. We'll see how today / tomorrow plays out.

I can buy into the schemed offense approach. What I have some problem chewing and swallowing is how the offense will suddenly get better by depleting it of dynamic play makers. But - I'm a glass half full kinda guy and hope will spring eternal....until it's crushed like a cockroach by our GM! :)

41 minutes ago, berndt_toast said:

If they were willing to trade up at the end of the 1st, they really only need to jump ahead of the Bears or Ravens to get their pick of WRs, if that is what they decide to do.

Vikings are only willing to make **** trades and get terrible value with the cellar dwellers of the NFCN, not the Champs. 

8 minutes ago, R T said:

If this is the best roster, where are the Lombardi's?   We have too many people both inside and outside the organization happy to be good and accepting the product even though it hasn't been good enough to win.

The organizations strategies have been to remain good rather then to do what it takes to win a Super Bowl.  Accepting the special teams last year was a perfect example.    They were terrible and everyone could see it.   Why the organization acted surprised when it cost them in the playoffs was terrible.   It was out there for everyone to see.

The OL failures over the past 2 years were out there for everyone to see.   Will they fix it going into next year?

• Like 1