2022 NFL Draft Discussion Thread (NO SPOILERS!!!)

CWood21

Just now, beekay414 said:

I just think the talent on the board at WR is still ridiculously deep. Don't feel there's a need to go up and get one when you can sit back and take one where you're at.

I got it. I just think (for no good reason apparently....) there's a spread between the Pickens/Cincy kid & Watson (to a lesser degree as I think him more an unfinished product) and the rest of the field - and it's a position group I want more than a body at.

4 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Nah man he didn't inherit a good team.  We were a dumpster fire in 2018.  He turned around the team quick and has had us in contention for the last 3 years.   Between his numerous hits on draft picks and FA signings he's done a hell of a job. 

Personally think Gute is better than Wolf or TT.  He's the best GM I've ever seen in GB in all my time watching the Packers.  Only one team wins the Superbowl every year.  It's damn hard.  You need health and a little bit of luck.  Dude you should have been around in the 70's and 80's.  

I was around in the 70's and 80's.   Living through that is why you need to take advantage when the opportunity is there.  We have thrown away a lot of opportunities during seasons with stellar QB play.   To win 2 SB in the last 30 years with Favre and Rodgers is disappointing.

Wolf was easily the best GM of the 3.   He took a dumpster fire and built the organization.   TT was a caretaker who was kept too long at the end tarnishing his overall legacy.   Gute hasn't done much.  He made a mess of the last 3 years and brought a ton of drama that should never have taken place.   He has left big holes in the organization.  he has done nothing with ST over his duration.  He has left the WR room go from fantastic to a dumpster fire all while having an MVP QB.  

I understand that it is hard to win a SB.  That is why leaving big holes is so frustrating.   The ST last year should not have been that difficult to fix- and he did nothing.    If our ST were even average last year we have a great shot at winning it all.

Just now, Leader said:

I'm gonna hang on to the remnant of the dream....till it's crushed.....some 4-5 hours from now.

It would nice if Pickens was their top guy and they find away to land him in GB, but in the pre draft process I had a Terrace Marshall Jr vibe with him and though the media was to high on him. It wouldn't surprise if he is the first pick today and equally it wouldn't surprise if he is there at 53 and the Packers take someone else.  

10 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Nah man he didn't inherit a good team.  We were a dumpster fire in 2018.  He turned around the team quick and has had us in contention for the last 3 years.   Between his numerous hits on draft picks and FA signings he's done a hell of a job. 

Personally think Gute is better than Wolf or TT.  He's the best GM I've ever seen in GB in all my time watching the Packers.  Only one team wins the Superbowl every year.  It's damn hard.  You need health and a little bit of luck.  Dude you should have been around in the 70's and 80's.  

Well stated and supported. Gute's roster turnover has been really good, not perfect but darn good. Again well said Score.

9 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Around 40th.

6 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I would 100% love getting TyQuan Thornton. He's a home run threat and has extremely quick afterburners. You get him in space and he's a threat to house it every time. Would much, much rather trade up from 92 to secure him than trading up using 92 or standing pat to get another WR, even if it's Pickens, Watson or Pierce. I like the value elsewhere for 53 and 59.

I differ, just a little bit.  I really like Christian Watson.  To me, trading 92 and one of the 50s to get to 40 and secure Watson is worth it.  But your mileage may vary.  That is a mold that suckers me every time though, I like the tall and fast WRs, they can learn to be WR later.  I really liked:  Javon Walker, Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones, MVS, EQ, DGB (some obviously were better than others).  

Thornton + Lazard is a pretty good combo, that would stress safeties.  I think Lazard is criminally underrated though.  

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

I'm gonna hang on to the remnant of the dream....till it's crushed.....some 4-5 hours from now.

Even worse if he becomes a Bear.  Don't know the medicals on the kid or his character.  So who knows what the Packers think.  Talent is there though.  All I know.  They may like some other guys better who knows.  Gutey will take some small school WR and we'll be like huh?   Sure he has guys in mind. 

1 minute ago, R T said:

It would nice if Pickens was their top guy and they find away to land him in GB, but in the pre draft process I had a Terrace Marshall Jr vibe with him and though the media was to high on him. It wouldn't surprise if he is the first pick today and equally it wouldn't surprise if he is there at 53 and the Packers take someone else.  

Perhaps that would be best. Then I can finally stop giving a **** about this entire process, sit back and relax!  :)

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Didn't Gute already say he was trying to trade, but couldn't find anything that worked?

That can mean a lot of things.  We could have asked MN for 32 for 52 and a 6th, and they could have been like, "future first or nothing."  

Just now, PACKRULE said:

Well stated and supported. Gute's roster turnover has been really good, not perfect but darn good. Again well said Score.

Wake me when Gute wins a Super Bowl.

I mean, the disrespect to Wolf here is ridiculous.

The team he inherited was a dumpster fire from top of the roster to the bottom.  And in the front office.

That dude re-built the entire franchise.  TT kept it going, so is Gute.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Leader said:

I got it. I just think (for no good reason apparently....) there's a spread between the Pickens/Cincy kid & Watson (to a lesser degree as I think him more an unfinished product) and the rest of the field - and it's a position group I want more than a body at.

It's WR, my man. These dudes can be found anywhere in the draft. If TyQuan Thornton had better QB play (Shapen and Bohannon are absolutely terrible throwers of the football), he's probably more well thought of. He's a hands catcher, has legitimate body control and is a home run threat every time he touches it. The only issue I can think of with him is production (already accounted for with the QB play) and route running. He needs seasoning but he's got potential. 

And that's just one of the guys were talking about here. I think Gute knows this.