Round 1 Pick 22; Quay Walker, LB Georgia

Packerraymond

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Yeah I just don't see what you see when I watch it. Think I'm spot on with my comparison. Dean isn't an NFL player, he'll be out of the league in 2-3 years. 

We can just agree to disagree then! I may be more harsh on what I'm seeing here considering we spent the 22nd pick overall on this guy. Expected to see more instinctual play at full speed. I saw some flashes, but I saw Dean and Tindall as the  more consistent, superior players in that department. 

2 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

We can just agree to disagree then! I may be more harsh on what I'm seeing here considering we spent the 22nd pick overall on this guy. Expected to see more instinctual play at full speed. I saw some flashes, but I saw Dean and Tindall as the  more consistent, superior players in that department. 

And no one here is surprised by this at all.

Yeah I don't understand this him not being physical enough, and against blockers, tons of times you see him taking on blocks very well. He isn't always flowing at a 100 miles per hour like the other 2, but the man can surely take on blocks and lay the rock when he gets there. When I watch him I don't see anything flashy but he's just a really solid football player on film, I don't see too many mistakes being made or him getting out physical'd or shaken. He definitely needs to hustle on a few plays here and there and be quicker diagnosing plays. When he figures it out he's going to be a very good LB for us, those tools will be used to their fullest extent.

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

He blitzed, first, right?  Occupied the center so Dean could get a clean shot?  Dean missed and Walker kept fighting the center (backward), shed and got in on the tackle?

Yes, clear example of why Dean got the numbers, Dean rarely covers, rarely is the "take on" guy. Walker or Tindall usually take that role on. 

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

And no one here is surprised by this at all.

My evaluation is not solely based off of double A gap blitzes lol. Sure Walker opened up holes for Dean to get to the QB, but those are only a fraction of plays that I watched. 

Sure, Dean doesn't have the elite size and RAS scores(that we know of). But he's a better football player, and it showed all over the field, outside of the double A gap blitzes that Walker did the dirty work on, that I'm already noticing a few of you crutching on...

2 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

My evaluation is not solely based off of double A gap blitzes lol. Sure Walker opened up holes for Dean to get to the QB, but those are only a fraction of plays that I watched. 

Sure, Dean doesn't have the elite size and RAS scores(that we know of). But he's a better football player, and it showed all over the field, outside of the double A gap blitzes that Walker did the dirty work on, that I'm already noticing a few of you crutching on...

Again, no one is shocked that you are down on the pick.

9 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Yeah I don't understand this him not being physical enough, and against blockers, tons of times you see him taking on blocks very well. He isn't always flowing at a 100 miles per hour like the other 2, but the man can surely take on blocks and lay the rock when he gets there. When I watch him I don't see anything flashy but he's just a really solid football player on film, I don't see too many mistakes being made or him getting out physical'd or shaken. He definitely needs to hustle on a few plays here and there and be quicker diagnosing plays. When he figures it out he's going to be a very good LB for us, those tools will be used to their fullest extent.

The physical tools are certainly there. Instincts? Not so sure.

His potential could make him a better pro than college player.

I'm just not so sure I wanna spend the 22nd pick overall on said player!

Just now, ReadyToThump said:

I've given Walker credit where I feel it's due. 

I see more of an athlete than football player.

I expected more on film, especially considering who he had in front of him. 

It is what it is.

Again, no one is shocked.  In fact, I'll bet @Norm won $50 on that post of yours.

6 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

No one is crutching to it, that's weak. 

Dean played 6% of his snaps out of the box last year, Walker played 24% of them outside the box. Georgia hides Dean, that's not propping up a player we picked, it's just a fact. Walker comes down to the LOS to hold up a blocker at the POA, he slides out to the slot in trips. He's a tough eval because of how many different things Georgia has him do. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ReadyToThump said:

The physical tools are certainly there. Instincts? Not so sure.

His potential could make him a better pro than college player.

I'm just not so sure I wanna spend the 22nd pick overall on said player!

I do not see the same thing you are seeing. Mind you I only watched his full snaps from Alabama and Michigan so far but I see a guy who is generally in the right position and making the right reads. I don't know if your just wanting to see him have no instincts or if its because he is a physical freak that the assumption is he doesn't have instincts but he certainly looks above average in that area. I don't see the lack of instincts at all. He isn't Jaire Alexander out there but he isn't Burks either. 

Not that I know enough about the players but I have to admit I'm happy as a clam we went D on both firsts. That was my projection and hope. WE have some good RB's a decent Oline and an all world QB. We're light in the WR room but who cares toss something together prior to the season and let all world sort it out. What we have lacked since 2010 is a top defense. We have all complained about our DT set up beyond that of Clark. We have all lamented our ILB play for years. 

With that said some of the best defences we play have 2 ILB's that stay on the field. San Fran and Tampa over the last couple years shut down top offences. Seattle a few years back had great ILB and DL play. I welcome this and think this was an A++ first round.

I hope to see Edge, OL, WR and TE tonight in any order with the premium being on BPA and impact. I could even see RB if one is there that is a great pas catcher / slot guy on a gamble pick. 

Regardless that's my 2 cents on the pics, looking forward to tonight...............GO PACK. 

Edited by PACKRULE
  • Like 2