Round 1 Pick 22; Quay Walker, LB Georgia

Packerraymond

I like Walker. I just question picking him that high at #22. However, we don't know the Packers board. They might have had him ranked higher on their board than the fan draft sites did like PFF, TDN, etc. We also don't know if they tried to trade down from #22 but simply were unsuccessful in securing a fair trade with another team. Here's hoping he proves to have been worthy of pick #22!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DWhitehurst said:

I like Walker. I just question picking him that high at #22. However, we don't know the Packers board. They might have had him ranked higher on their board than the fan draft sites did like PFF, TDN, etc. We also don't know if they tried to trade down from #22 but simply were unsuccessful in securing a fair trade with another team. Here's hoping he proves to have been worthy of pick #22!

Honestly its absolutely fair to say he was their BPA. With Campbell under new contract this wasnt some need reach.

Just adjust your view. Rewatch his cut ups and look for the positives that maybe you missed on the first look. They miss on prospects too but they know 100% what theyre looking for. So i just like to look at what they see and maybe what were going to look at doing. I dont think we'll be going to dime near as easy. Were going to have some big bodies up front with some excellent rangy backers behind. Well get to watch them rack up the stats. Honestly he should be on the droy watch almost immediately as i think he'll only be put in situations to shine.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Honestly its absolutely fair to say he was their BPA. With Campbell under new contract this wasnt some need reach.

Just adjust your view. Rewatch his cut ups and look for the positives that maybe you missed on the first look. They miss on prospects too but they know 100% what theyre looking for. So i just like to look at what they see and maybe what were going to look at doing. I dont think we'll be going to dime near as easy. Were going to have some big bodies up front with some excellent rangy backers behind. Well get to watch them rack up the stats. Honestly he should be on the droy watch almost immediately as i think he'll only be put in situations to shine.

For sure. I have no objective basis (at this point) to assert that they 'reached' for Walker. He is an example of a player where the typical fan rankings "board" from amateur websites had him ranked lower than actual teams like the Packers did...and then us fans react by questioning if it was a reach, basing it on the faulty assumptive presupposition that our "board" from the local website is as accurate as a team's board. I get that. A.J. Dillon was an example of that a couple drafts ago--many websites having him rated as a 5th round pick when the Packers took him in round two and many fans then declared it to be a massive reach. The Packers were proven correct. The fans were proven wrong. Again, if that same thing holds with Walker, it will be exciting to watch. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Just listen to Gutes own words.  They clearly thought that they really needed another 3 down LB so that they wouldnt have to resort to the 3 safety looks as often.  If Walker is anything as advertised he will bring you the same as a Redmond type in coverage but vastly more against the run and the blitz game.

I'm happier than anyone that Campbell is here long term and in All Pro form, but I 100% agree that the defense can take another step up if you add a second three down LB.

10 hours ago, dcerb44 said:

I really liked Dean, but the pec injury and short arms would scare me. 

Quay is an athlete. Gute swinging for the fence here. High upside pick. 

Watching Dean’s highlights I was watching Walker instead. I enjoyed that. On one play, while Dean made a good play on the interior, Walker clamped onto a slot receiver in coverage and blanketed him all the way up into the end zone. 

Still not sure what to make of this one. He has modern LB skills with his blitz and coverage ability. That, combined with his athleticism is exciting. But he looks like he's a high tackler, which concerns me a bit in the NFL. Will be fun to see our defense with legitimate ILBs who can blitz, though.