Round 1 Pick 22; Quay Walker, LB Georgia

Packerraymond

There’s plenty of chatter out there that Quay wasn’t going to be available after the first round. It’s not like Gute is known for taking no names who don’t pan out in the first, he’s got the track record in the first at this point where it’s pretty safe to say he knows what he’s doing there.

A few scouts opinions.

NFC scout: “I trust this kid. He played inside off the ball. He’s big but he moves liken a smaller guy. He’s got good range. He’ll strike you. He’ll be a mike. He’ll be able to match guys athletically in coverage. People didn’t think he’d run as well as he did. It’s hard to find those ones that are that big still and can run like that … Maybe not Year 1 (run the show) but you can get him caught up to speed where he can be functional. I don’t hear anything that says he can’t.”

AFC scout: “He might be more of an outside backer in a 3-4. He’s not super instinctive and reactive as an off-the-line player, but once he sees it he can absolutely fly. He’s a height-weight-speed prospect with questionable instincts. He was a rotational kind of guy at Georgia. Is he a great player? I wouldn’t go that far. If he was there in the second round I’d say go ahead and do it. You’re not going to miss on the athlete or the height-weight-speed numbers. If you miss it would be his (instincts). He can’t be the green dot.”

NFC scout: “I didn’t see much there. All those other guys (at Georgia) go 100 miles an hour. He looks like he’s going about 60. Not a great athlete. Not very physical. Not very productive. He moved around to different spots. They used him (to cover) but I don’t think he’s very good. He’s very similar to Lorenzo Carter (Giants) who came out of there a few years ago (2018). Something’s missing with him.”

AFC scout: “He probably wouldn’t wear the green dot.”

AFC scout: “Really like him. He plays in a rotation but he has the traits to be a good starting player.”

AFC scout: “Good size and athletic. Best on a straight line. Good tackler. Lacks instincts in the run and the pass. It’d be a concern if he’s on the field full-time.”

AFC scout: “Very quiet and keeps to himself. Not a bad kid but poor communicator at times and emotional. Can be hard to deal with outside of football. Off-ball linebacker not completely natural to him. Able to learn the defense. Not a leader. Instincts slow him down some. Is at his best when he can just chase and hit.”

NFC scout: “I think they (his instincts) suck. But the guy can run. He’s going in the first round. In the 20’s, guys are going to take a shot on him. He’s a good kid. No instincts. No way (he can wear green dot).”

AFC scout: “Tested out well. He was more athlete than player. He was a defensive end out of high school. Big, athletic and fast. Has twitch and speed. Very good lateral pursuit speed. He’s physical taking on blocks. Needs to have a better blitz plan. He just kind of runs straight ahead. Reacted better to routes in front of him than in zone. I wasn’t sure how instinctive he is or what he’s seeing at times. Flashes a quick trigger but will take false steps or pause to read at times. Played on special teams but didn’t jump off the film. Second or third round. Too big and fast not to go on Day 2. He’s athletic and fast enough to play will. I don’t know if you’d want to have him as your mike. He’s the third of three (linebackers) from Georgia. He is an athlete.”

AFC scout: “Like him. He plays the run. Steps up and fills. He took people on more than (Nakobe) Dean whereas Dean was the guy out in space.”

AFC scout: “He’s green. Only started for one year. Can’t run the defense. He can play on all three downs. He’s big and tall and can run. He’s better than (Patrick) Queen.”

AFC scout: “He can run. Strong, good range. Solid vs. the run and the pass. Not a great blitzer. Could probably play all three spots. Second round.”

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JordanLoveFTW said:

A few scouts opinions.

NFC scout: “I trust this kid. He played inside off the ball. He’s big but he moves liken a smaller guy. He’s got good range. He’ll strike you. He’ll be a mike. He’ll be able to match guys athletically in coverage. People didn’t think he’d run as well as he did. It’s hard to find those ones that are that big still and can run like that … Maybe not Year 1 (run the show) but you can get him caught up to speed where he can be functional. I don’t hear anything that says he can’t.”

AFC scout: “He might be more of an outside backer in a 3-4. He’s not super instinctive and reactive as an off-the-line player, but once he sees it he can absolutely fly. He’s a height-weight-speed prospect with questionable instincts. He was a rotational kind of guy at Georgia. Is he a great player? I wouldn’t go that far. If he was there in the second round I’d say go ahead and do it. You’re not going to miss on the athlete or the height-weight-speed numbers. If you miss it would be his (instincts). He can’t be the green dot.”

NFC scout: “I didn’t see much there. All those other guys (at Georgia) go 100 miles an hour. He looks like he’s going about 60. Not a great athlete. Not very physical. Not very productive. He moved around to different spots. They used him (to cover) but I don’t think he’s very good. He’s very similar to Lorenzo Carter (Giants) who came out of there a few years ago (2018). Something’s missing with him.”

AFC scout: “He probably wouldn’t wear the green dot.”

AFC scout: “Really like him. He plays in a rotation but he has the traits to be a good starting player.”

AFC scout: “Good size and athletic. Best on a straight line. Good tackler. Lacks instincts in the run and the pass. It’d be a concern if he’s on the field full-time.”

AFC scout: “Very quiet and keeps to himself. Not a bad kid but poor communicator at times and emotional. Can be hard to deal with outside of football. Off-ball linebacker not completely natural to him. Able to learn the defense. Not a leader. Instincts slow him down some. Is at his best when he can just chase and hit.”

NFC scout: “I think they (his instincts) suck. But the guy can run. He’s going in the first round. In the 20’s, guys are going to take a shot on him. He’s a good kid. No instincts. No way (he can wear green dot).”

AFC scout: “Tested out well. He was more athlete than player. He was a defensive end out of high school. Big, athletic and fast. Has twitch and speed. Very good lateral pursuit speed. He’s physical taking on blocks. Needs to have a better blitz plan. He just kind of runs straight ahead. Reacted better to routes in front of him than in zone. I wasn’t sure how instinctive he is or what he’s seeing at times. Flashes a quick trigger but will take false steps or pause to read at times. Played on special teams but didn’t jump off the film. Second or third round. Too big and fast not to go on Day 2. He’s athletic and fast enough to play will. I don’t know if you’d want to have him as your mike. He’s the third of three (linebackers) from Georgia. He is an athlete.”

AFC scout: “Like him. He plays the run. Steps up and fills. He took people on more than (Nakobe) Dean whereas Dean was the guy out in space.”

AFC scout: “He’s green. Only started for one year. Can’t run the defense. He can play on all three downs. He’s big and tall and can run. He’s better than (Patrick) Queen.”

AFC scout: “He can run. Strong, good range. Solid vs. the run and the pass. Not a great blitzer. Could probably play all three spots. Second round.”

Always baffles me when scouts are saying different things about whether a guy can wear the green dot. 

That's a very simple question, you ask the DC and his LB coach. At a school like Georgia, they'll shoot you straight.

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Always baffles me when scouts are saying different things about whether a guy can wear the green dot. 

That's a very simple question, you ask the DC and his LB coach. At a school like Georgia, they'll shoot you straight.

You should head on over to youtube to check him out at his best. His highlight reel is 4 boring plays long. This guy is a big nothing. Bust.

28 minutes ago, JordanLoveFTW said:

You should head on over to youtube to check him out at his best. His highlight reel is 4 boring plays long. This guy is a big nothing. Bust.

This might be the most succinct presentation and subsequent dismantling of one's own thesis that I have ever encountered. Astounding. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JordanLoveFTW said:

Yeah. You can take the huge bust risk at 53. But you want a player at 22. This guy probably isn't one. Over half of draft picks bust. This has bust written all over it.

Your tag name says it all .. not sure it takes a bust to predict a bust .. LOL.  

1 hour ago, gopackgo972 said:

The complaints about his instincts are troubling. H/W/S are meaningless if you are out of position 

Yep, the physical traits are great.  The question is whether it will translate to Walker being a good football player.  Reviews seem to be mixed going in, so I'll be a homer for  now and assume Gute got this one right.

17 hours ago, JordanLoveFTW said:

A t.”

This scout watching the right player? Not an athlete? I think that can be objectively proven false by his athletic measurements.