Round 1 Pick 22; Quay Walker, LB Georgia

Packerraymond

4 hours ago, snackattack said:

I hope this guy pans out, but does anyone else feel like he’s kind of a weak finisher? I just dont see much aggressiveness or dog in him and am worried that he wont have the physicality to be super successful in the NFL.

Disclaimer: This is based solely on my extensive YouTube research 15 minutes before bed last night.

I seem to remember a lot of us questioned Gute taking Gary in 2019.  I think that move turned out okay.  😎

3 minutes ago, Chili said:

Lloyd will be 24 when the season kicks off. That might be why. Walker is 22 and a far superior physical specimen...always go with higher upside in this case.

Wyatt on the other hand is the best remaining in his position and far superior athlete so being 24 is not a deal breaker in this instance.

Makes sense I suppose, but I think Lloyd is considered to the be the much better college player.   I get it though .. it's more what they can become than what they have been. 

1 minute ago, Pugger said:

I wouldn't characterize the guys still available in the second round chopped liver.

The comment you're responding to was made 12 hours ago - after we failed to nab a WR on Day one with our 28th pick.

I had limited draft "wants" coming into this thing. My goal was to replenish the WR room by pairing that pick with one of the day 2/3 guys - and accomplishing the task

The 2nd round is set up much like the 1st was:  perceived "top guys" are slated to go earlier than our 53rd pick - much as the top guys yesterday were all gone - as expected.

Now - it wouldnt be quite as expensive to move up and I saw some Twitter blurb indicating that Gute tried to trade up with MN in hopes of nabbing Pickens. If remotely true - I welcome the effort! Do it again today with somebody else and get that guy.

We'll see how it plays out.

4 hours ago, Chili said:

Now I remember why I hate watching Linebacker tapes. It's usually very dry watching. They're always hovering in that no man's land during the play so you don't see many splash plays. They might drop back, they might go downhill but most of the time they're just hovering and cleaning up. It's hard to get a read if they're any good.

I've always wanted the Packers to draft an athletic and tall linebacker for years so I suppose I finally got what I wanted.

I thought 22 was a fantastic spot to draft a WR and all we had to do was wait and have one fall to our laps but that didn't turn out to be the case because QBs weren't getting drafted. A couple more QBs and we might be talking about landing Burks.

Yes, that crazy run on WRs in the first round last night was pretty wild.  Who knows if Gute even tried to make a deal.  I don't know if any of those kids will be as good as Justin Jefferson or J'marr Chase tho...

11 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Makes sense I suppose, but I think Lloyd is considered to the be the much better college player.   I get it though .. it's more what they can become than wha they have been. 

Rashan Garry anyone ? The Packers feel Wallker's upside is why they picked him at 22. He was moving up draft boards very quickly. I watched some of his tape today and he looked great. Wyatt is just a beast, 

2 minutes ago, gizmo2012 said:

Rashan Garry anyone ? The Packers feel Wallker's upside is why they picked him at 22. He was moving up draft boards very quickly. I watched some of his tape today and he looked great. Wyatt is just a beast, 

Wasn't expecting Walker at #22, but thought Wyatt was pretty great value at #28.  I figured he was a top 20 pick going in. 

19 minutes ago, Leader said:

The comment you're responding to was made 12 hours ago - after we failed to nab a WR on Day one with our 28th pick.

I had limited draft "wants" coming into this thing. My goal was to replenish the WR room by pairing that pick with one of the day 2/3 guys - and accomplishing the task

The 2nd round is set up much like the 1st was:  perceived "top guys" are slated to go earlier than our 53rd pick - much as the top guys yesterday were all gone - as expected.

Now - it wouldnt be quite as expensive to move up and I saw some Twitter blurb indicating that Gute tried to trade up with MN in hopes of nabbing Pickens. If remotely true - I welcome the effort! Do it again today with somebody else and get that guy.

We'll see how it plays out.

I too had hoped we could have drafted a WR last night but the way that crazy round went all the good ones with a first round grade were long gone.  I suppose we'll never know if Gute tried to move up or not.

30 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I wouldn't characterize the guys still available in the second round chopped liver.

I wanted Olave bad.  Could easily have been sold on Wilson or Williams, too.

But to me?  They were overdrafted.  There's value at WR in the second round.  Now we need to make a move to go snag one.

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I wanted Olave bad.  Could easily have been sold on Wilson or Williams, too.

But to me?  They were overdrafted.  There's value at WR in the second round.  Now we need to make a move to go snag one.

I was pretty convinced we were going to snag Williams, Wilson, Olave, London or Burks. To get none of them was like a punch in the gut to me last night. I was very disappointed. 

26 minutes ago, Chili said:

Lloyd will be 24 when the season kicks off. That might be why. Walker is 22 and a similar athletic profile...always go with higher upside in this case.

Wyatt on the other hand is the best remaining in his position and far superior athlete so being 24 is not a deal breaker in this instance.

I didn't watch Lloyd, did you?

I don't know if he was the Mike or Will.

Walker is the Will, we have an all pro Mike.  And I feel like Walker can also play Mike, say when Campbell is no longer here.

If Lloyd is a Mike, it is a pretty easy call to make.

I'm so pumped by this defense that I may want to go to a camp practice now.  If Rodgers goes against the 1's, it may make him sharper, because he may not see a defense like that all that often in the regular season.

I was really perplexed by the pick when it happened. We were under the assumption for a long time that off-ball linebacker was an undervalued position with GB and this was true until Barry arrived. I just didn't have ILB on my radar at all or at least not early.

Back when I was watching Devonte Wyatt you can't help but notice how good Nakobe Dean is. His instincts are elite but unfortunately for him he is undersized. Gute values traits and Walker has solid traits. I went back and watched Walker specifically and you notice those traits pretty quickly however he doesn't seem to have the decisiveness/read and react that Dean has. I trust Gute in company though with this pick even though I don't necessarily agree with the positional value.

What does this pick say about Krys Barnes? Barnes has played very well for a UDFA but he doesn't have the athletic profile of Walker. Barnes has be slightly susceptible to injury as well. Overall though, between this pick and Devonte Wyatt I am even more excited about the direction of our defense. Defense wins Championships!

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I was pretty convinced we were going to snag Williams, Wilson, Olave, London or Burks. To get none of them was like a punch in the gut to me last night. I was very disappointed. 

Sorry man.

But let me ask you this.  It looked like to get up there, it was #21 and a second round pick.

Would you have been happier with one of those guys and Wyatt, but losing a second round pick?

Or with Walker, Wyatt and 2 second rounders to come?

I'm pretty pumped about our picks, but I can't answer that question until this second round is finished.  Thoughts?