Round 1 Pick 22; Quay Walker, LB Georgia

Packerraymond

4 minutes ago, Norm said:

To you, or to GB?

I'm guessing he was their BPA, since it wasn't really a big positional need necessarily. 

After hearing Gutey guess it was.  They were looking for a ILB that didn't have to come off the field on 3rd down.  Gives the D more flexibility and makes them less predictable.  Viewed it as a hole going in but thought they would stick to tradition and grab a guy in the later rounds.  Never thought I see the Pack go ILB in the 1st.  

4 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Move over brett Hundley 

Omg, HOF confirmed.

It has been too long since the Packers have had a number 7.

I will accept the irony of Walker becoming my favorite player because if he does it will mean he’s better than Jaire.

So ready to be proven irrefutably wrong on picking ILB before 24, but hoping he’s more of an ILB/EDGE/S so I can say it doesn’t count.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Omg, HOF confirmed.

It has been too long since the Packers have had a number 7.

I will accept the irony of Walker becoming my favorite player because if he does it will mean he’s better than Jaire.

So ready to be proven irrefutably wrong on picking ILB before 24, but hoping he’s more of an ILB/EDGE/S so I can say it doesn’t count.

Hopefully he pretty much kills Blacks chance of PT.

39 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Walker had quite a few QB pressures last year, including 6 in the national title game. Anybody know if he was lining up at Edge at times, or were those all from off the ball blitzes?

In passing situations he was lining up as the DE on a 4 man defensive line quite a bit.

What's funny to me is even after all these years where we all have completely misread the draft here and there we still have people with the audacity to say anyone is "clearly not the BPA".  Nothing is clear about the draft, not even to the guys getting paid big money to do it for a living and certainly not to us doing it as a hobby.  Have your opinions all you want but I will laugh anytime someone tries to tell me their opinion is fact regarding the draft.

That being said I love the pick.  Barnes is a fine player but the dude gets pulled off the field on passing downs forcing us to bring in a third safety which severely limits our blitz looks and run defense.  He's another athletic freak who flat out knows how to tackle, if he can be a three down LB this defense just took a major step up.  Hyped to see our All Pro get a first round compliment, people say the position is undervalued now and while true it's still a major part of any defense.  Considering the Wyatt and Reed additions these guys should be getting a lot of free paths.

Run defense has been a problem for GB for a long time now.  Yes we have a great secondary and a great pass rush duo, but none of that matters until you actually force them to throw the ball.  Now you have multiple guys who can go sideline to sideline

Edited by Blink
  • Like 4