Round 1 Pick 22; Quay Walker, LB Georgia

Packerraymond

These are just not plays that Kris Barnes can make. I've been preaching how critical defending the alleys from stretch, outside zone and sweep are in today's NFL. We've always been behind the 8 ball, Martinez, Barrington, Barnes, all good players, not the kind of athlete who can do that.

We've got two backers capable of defending the horizontal stretch of today's offenses. I've never been more excited for a defense, this is a modern defense.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, wgbeethree said:

Young (21), long (~80" wingspan), athletic (9.63 RAS). Lot's to like. I'm wondering what he would look like in Waldo's formula at OLB given he's 240ish.

Could be fun on third downs. Move Gary inside and you can have either Preston or Walker do just about anything from the OLB spots. It'll definitely make disguising what your doing easy from a personnel standpoint.

I think he looks like an option as a 3rd EDGE with his cone and shuttle times.  Vert and broad are not stellar in those from what I recall seeing

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

I think he looks like an option as a 3rd EDGE with his cone and shuttle times.  Vert and broad are not stellar in those from what I recall seeing

The backers jump after they run 40s and workout, they really need to revamp the whole combine. Think they should jump and lift on one day, run/agility/workout the next. Surprised he didn't jump at the Pro Day. Either way, guy is not an explosion red, I can tell you that. 

44 minutes ago, Danger said:

lmao you think they'll be there? I mean maybe... but I highly doubt it. 

Quay Walker was NOT the best player available. Crazy.

things we learned from that scout/GM 

@Norm I think I found another scout that reads/posts on the forum

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Yeah if he can provide some pass rush value I'll like this pick a lot more.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

The backers jump after they run 40s and workout, they really need to revamp the whole combine. Think they should jump and lift on one day, run/agility/workout the next. Surprised he didn't jump at the Pro Day. Either way, guy is not an explosion red, I can tell you that. 

Good point on the timing of the tests at the combine.  

1 hour ago, Danger said:

lmao you think they'll be there? I mean maybe... but I highly doubt it. 

Quay Walker was NOT the best player available. Crazy.

To you, or to GB?

I'm guessing he was their BPA, since it wasn't really a big positional need necessarily. 

• Like 1