Round 1 Pick 22; Quay Walker, LB Georgia

Packerraymond

3 minutes ago, R T said:

Rather than living life in a panic, how about if they draft one of those players with the 53rd or 59th pick. The Packers call it 'drafting the best player available', crazy concept isn't it.  

lmao you think they'll be there? I mean maybe... but I highly doubt it. 

Quay Walker was NOT the best player available. Crazy.

1 minute ago, Danger said:

lmao you think they'll be there? I mean maybe... but I highly doubt it. 

Quay Walker was NOT the best player available. Crazy.

If he wasn't the BPA than explain what he was. Are you trying to say it was a need reach? The only crazy thing here would be someone trying to claim that Walker wasn't the top player on their board when they picked him. 

• Like 2

I think the blitz concept is interesting.  Packers usually hate to blitz and rarely try it, so may not be much of a factor at all.  But the Packers pass rush has tended to be fairly conservative outside-rushes that take a couple of seconds to compress, with modest pressure up the middle.  Adding possible penetration pressure from Wyatt, and possibly a fast ILB blitzer in Walker, could perhaps allow for a little more surprise and make QB's a bit less comfortable.  

I'm pretty much a Gute/Packers-scouting truster.  Positional value etc. is known to them.  Yet they made this choice.  I trust that they have pretty good logic for the choice, even if I don't fully understand it.

Offenses always attack the most vulnerable aspects of a defense.  *If* you hypothetically get a really good player, even at non-positional-value position, it can still help.  

I assume they see qualities within the player and within their scheme that makes a player impactful.  Barnes is a nice tackler and a work-hard guy, I love the cheap UDFA-makes-good story.  But he's not a chase-to-the-boundaries guy, and he can't cover.  The defense has been vulnerable to short passing over the middle seemingly forever; and been vulnerable to scrambling QB's; etc..  With Stokes and Jaire on the boundaries, the vulnerability would seem to be inside. 

Hopefully Quay proves to be really good at what he's asked to do, and Gute is at least vindicated in that, even if that's not at a positional-value spot.   

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Danger said:

Yeah I'm not trying to say they were.

But Quay Walker clearly wasn't BPA, so his point is moot.

We won’t know clearly who the BPA was for at least a couple of years. Definitely will have to watch Jermaine Johnson’s arc as well as Lloyd and some of the OL, who will be harder to judge. He was Gute’s BPA. 

5 minutes ago, Danger said:

Whatever helps y'all sleep at night I guess. 

Was Jaire the best player available on your board? Stokes? Half of you complained that you had never even heard of Stokes. Everyone complained about Gary and now we’re about to have an elite EDGE.

I am the one who should be grumpy over this. He’s an ILB and I still trust Gute.

He has not missed in the first round except for maybe Love and you’re doubting him now when Walker is another athletic freak?

You’re the only one with trouble sleeping.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Danger said:

at 28, Sky Moore? Christian Watson?

45 minutes ago, Danger said:

George Pickens also an option.

Take a deep breath, and relax.  All three of those guys are still available.  We also have the ammo to get any one of them, should we be so inclined.

I don't like taking an ILB either.  We just paid Campbell, and I have been happy with the progression of Barnes.  The Packers haven't, and this forum generally doesn't, value the ILB position super highly for quite a while.  But it seems that they may have changed philosophy a little.  If Walker hits, we have two bigger ILBs that can be effective with a blitz and in coverage.  There are scenarios where one could rush and the other drop, and the OL won't know.  I would have picked Jermaine Johnson.  Let's let this guy suck first before we slap the bust label on him.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Danger said:

Yeah I'm not trying to say they were.

But Quay Walker clearly wasn't BPA, so his point is moot.

He was on the board of the Packers. The difference between the media big boards and who teams covet has never been more apparent. All of a sudden before the draft you hear guys like Walker, Elam, Drake Jackson, Travon Walker, etc.. all have this big helium and are flying up boards. Just simply was never the case, they've been there the whole time, teams just lead them the other way. "Hey what do you think of Quay Walker?" "Yeah he's pretty good, but man that other LB Dean, he's so gritty and tough, damn what a leader." 

It's like a great fishing spot, anyone asks you and you happily lead them to the lake just down the road from where you truly go. 

• Like 4