Round 2 Pick 34; Christian Watson, WR, NDSU

Packerraymond

So, can he not run routes?  Or was he asked to not run many routes?

I saw clips of him at the Senior Bowl.  Release clips of him beating press coverage by real corners.  Dude has a lot of wiggle in him on the LOS.  Guys were trying to mug him and they hardly got a hand on him.  And were left in the dust quickly.

But again, we are coming back to the offense he was in and what he was asked to do.  Regarding routes.

No question at all that the NFL is going to be a huge learning curve for him.  He's going to need a lot of coaching if he is going to be more than a "go", "stop" or "drag" kind of WR.  Given his high Wonderlic score, I'm hoping that translates over to "coachable".

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I saw clips of him at the Senior Bowl.  Release clips of him beating press coverage by real corners.  Dude has a lot of wiggle in him on the LOS.  Guys were trying to mug him and they hardly got a hand on him.  And were left in the dust quickly.

But again, we are coming back to the offense he was in and what he was asked to do.  Regarding routes.

No question at all that the NFL is going to be a huge learning curve for him.  He's going to need a lot of coaching if he is going to be more than a "go", "stop" or "drag" kind of WR.  Given his high Wonderlic score, I'm hoping that translates over to "coachable".

Exactly. Dude is confusing "wasn't asked" with "can't." We saw more than enough at the senior bowl to determine he can run more than a go route. 

This is just like when we drafted Dillon. People clamoring that he had stone hands. Noooo, that wasn't the case, he just wasn't asked to do much pass catching at BC. He's proven very capable in the NFL

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I feel like some peoples expectations for route running is exponentially high after what we've had in Davante Adams for a while. That bar is set so high right now for some I think it's clouding what greatness looks like compared to a guy who's probably average right now, not bad. It's not like Watson is struggling running them at all or not understanding how a route is run. The senior bowl proved he knows how to run them. They're just raw and not refined coming out compared to others.

26 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

Exactly. Dude is confusing "wasn't asked" with "can't." We saw more than enough at the senior bowl to determine he can run more than a go route. 

This is just like when we drafted Dillon. People clamoring that he had stone hands. Noooo, that wasn't the case, he just wasn't asked to do much pass catching at BC. He's proven very capable in the NFL

Same confusion people have with "Didn't win the Super Bowl" and "Couldn't win the Super Bowl  or "Didn't draft x position" with "Wouldn't draft x position"

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

Watsons total drop rate was very high at NDSU.  I believe he improved a lot the last year.  I think his role will be a valuable part of the offense in time, but needless to say, you gotta catch the ball when it comes your way, he needs to make that a priority because Rodgers will make it a priority in Watsons targets.

50 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

Yep. If you watched the clips of Watson vs. Doubs side by side from Senior Bowl practices, you'd say Watson ran routes/beat press better.

19 hours ago, JordanLoveFTW said:

Watson does not have high upside as a route runner. His in breaking and out breaking routes are clumsy. 

Remember how Jonathan Taylor wasn't a good receiving RB coming out of Wisconsin?  You're looking for glimpses of it, and you're projecting that they'll continue to develop.  Are you convinced he's a good route runner with an expanded route running tree based off his tape this year?  Absolutely not.  Can he be?  That's up to him.

56 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I just am having a difficult time figuring out what kind of troll it is.  

The kind that gets 17 replies to every post he makes.

(Except when he bailed really hard on the 3rd round OL and nobody took the bait, that was amazing.)

27 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Remember how Jonathan Taylor wasn't a good receiving RB coming out of Wisconsin?  You're looking for glimpses of it, and you're projecting that they'll continue to develop.  Are you convinced he's a good route runner with an expanded route running tree based off his tape this year?  Absolutely not.  Can he be?  That's up to him.

No he can't. He can't do it. He has no upside in RRing, do you not read the oracle's posts? He said it. That makes it true.

2 hours ago, TheEagle said:

Yep. If you watched the clips of Watson vs. Doubs side by side from Senior Bowl practices, you'd say Watson ran routes/beat press better.

In his draft interview, Packers lead scout Sullivan said that Doubs "has the God-given ability to be a VERY good route runner in time.  Is he a little raw?  I'd say that's fair.  But we feel like he can turn himself into a really good route runner."  

I assume they project that for Watson as well.  

4 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

Watsons total drop rate was very high at NDSU.  I believe he improved a lot the last year.  I think his role will be a valuable part of the offense in time, but needless to say, you gotta catch the ball when it comes your way, he needs to make that a priority because Rodgers will make it a priority in Watsons targets.

Replace Watson with Adams and you have the beginning of Davante’s career