With the 86th pick the Titans select QB Malik Willis

615finest

5 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

here's a question for everyone:

what do you think we do if ryan tannehill...

A. returns to 2019-2020 form this year, leads the team to the playoffs while putting up strong numbers, but underperforms in the playoffs again?

B. returns to 2019-2020 form this year, leads the team to the playoffs while putting up strong numbers, AND leads the team on a deep playoff run while balling out?

I think both answers depend on how far Willis comes this year. In A, if Willis is close to ready, they either cut or trade Tanny. If he’s not, they keep Tanny through the end of his contract and do the wait and see. I know they have an out after this year, but IIRC, Tanny’s still under contract for 2023.

In B, I think Tanny stays on another year unless Willis absolutely balls out. Tanny will have a ton of trade value at that point, so if they think they can get decent play from Willis, they trade Tanny for a haul.

If Willis is struggling, but Tanny is balling out, they probably try to do a short extension and keep Willis on as backup.

It’s so silly that they’re trying to turn this into something. If it comes out that he’s refusing to work or talk with him, there’s a problem. 

But he’s entering arguably the most important year of his career. If things go south, he’s probably never entering another season as an unquestioned starter again. His overall goal should be to make sure Willis never takes the field. If he’s a ****, that’s one thing. But it’s not like he’s looking to ride off into the sunset and hand the reins over to Willis in a year.

It is his job to mentor him I remember mike vrabel said this when he became HC, your job as a teammate is to help make the next guy better, simply because if you get hurt your teammate has to be ready to play your position. He can mentor him & compete with him, though it’s not a competition cause you’re the starter by default cut it out Ryan. Dude knows his time is bout to be up, do me a favor manage the game you cost us a SB 

• Like 1

I love that mentality by Warner. That’s a competitor mentality. I ultimately think that is a team first mentality. Every position should be helping each other get better. To me a mentor doesn’t mean you need to be his dad. You just need to guide him in moments that you have learned from in your career that you deem crucial, as you see Malik hitting those crossroads.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, twotonebluenation said:

I love that mentality by Warner. That’s a competitor mentality. I ultimately think that is a team first mentality. Every position should be helping each other get better. To me a mentor doesn’t mean you need to be his dad. You just need to guide him in moments that you have learned from in your career that you deem crucial, as you see Malik hitting those crossroads.

Mike vrabel said this his press conference introduction as HC that was 1 of his key points that made me feel that he was a coach that was going to play the best player that help us win games. He was like I don’t care what round you were drafted how much money you make, your job is to push your teammate help yo brother get better while also competing. Dude is still in a dark place clearly he knows he cost us a SB 

1 hour ago, 615finest said:

Look at Kurt Warner weighing in 

He's right. That's the kind of mentality that takes you to the Hall of Fame.

A loser mentality is I'm not here to mentor anyone, I'm too busy killing my team's season by throwing three picks in the playoffs.

All that said, I don't trust the Titans organization to be able to help Malik reach his ceiling. Had he gone to another team he may have developed properly.

And if by some reason he did pan out, I'm sure we'll just lock him out and trade him away. Not like this franchise has done something like that before.

I wonder how many people who are complaining about this actually heard the press conference.

I would wager most of them heard the comment out of context that the media is trying to spin negatively.

Not a story.

Edited by TitanSS
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I wonder how many people who are complaining about this actually heard the press conference.

I would wager most of them heard the comment out of context that the media is trying to spin negatively.

Not a story.

I heard the entire press conference he basically said I’m not going to be hands on helping the kid he has to take notes & learn by watching him. Please don’t try to justify this I know you love the guy but that’s exactly what he said. 

4 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Not a story.

You mean since the very next words out of his mouth were, “but if he learns something from watching me that would be a great thing.” 

• Like 1

I actually find it pretty shameful that on the day a guy confessed to having trouble sleeping at night, being in a dark place and seeking professional help, a bunch of people are trashing him publicly for the line, “It’s not my job to be a mentor, but if he learns from me, that’s a great thing.”

Which is like, a completely accurate and honest statement. I get that people want him to go full cliche, but instead he went with the real answer that echoes what almost anyone would actually do in his situation.