Round 4 Pick 132; Romeo Doubs, WR Nevada

Packerraymond

On 5/1/2022 at 11:53 AM, Mazrimiv said:

Even when healthy, ESB never did anything that stood out to me.  He was always a fringe player with enough ST value to stay on the roster.  That's fine for a late round pick on a rookie deal, but not someone who gets a 2nd contract.

seems like he never really understood the offense well enough to earn legit reps. maybe injury has something to do with that. regardless it is a cautionary tale of a megaman speedster  holding a roster spot for their entire rookie contract and producing near-nothing

10 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

"Ugly girlfriend which shows a lack of confidence, wouldn't take him"

Maybe he wants to avoid the Johnny Depp issues. Dem Crazy babes. Ugly ain't cheating or taking you money. 

See the source image

• Like 2

I love the collection of McGinn's scouting comments.  I think it so helpfully assembles the diversity of scouting perspectives.  One scout says "he's just tight", another "he doesn't have quickness", but the last scout says "thing is, he's really quick".  

I think it's also hard to capture the context of a question, and the frame of reference the scouts are comparing.  The "mentally frail" scout says "he's probably no better than a 3rd-day guy".  There were what, 13 WR taken in rounds 1 and 2?  I think some of the fault-finding may be why a guy isn't up with those guys.  But may not imply he doesn't have good NFL long-term capacity, or be a good value at the bottom of round 4?

There was reference to "hard worker who handles his business", right after the "quirky personality" comment.  I'm kinda guessing that MLF has a pretty friendly coaching staff.  Green Bay might perhaps be the best team chemistry for a quirky personality to be supported and developed?  

I just think the variance of perspective reflects what a wide diversity of analysis the same player can get form different scouts and different teams.  

On 5/1/2022 at 1:22 PM, Arthur Penske said:

Because only really extroverted WRs like Jordy Nelson have success in the NFL.

I do think many successfully WRs have extroverted personalities but thinking a guy can’t be successful because he’s introverted is dumb.

I can't think of any names off the top of my head but I've seen several stories about top players who are quiet guys but "when he talks everyone listens"

Edited by Mr Bad Example

On 5/1/2022 at 10:54 AM, Leader said:

Tyler Dunne -

ROMEO DOUBS, WR, Nevada

• Rd. 4/132.

• Height: 6-2.

• Weight: 204.

• 40: Did not run.

• Wonderlic: 20.

• Hometown: Los Angeles.

Fact/Stat: Fourth-year senior, four-year starter … Production improved each season … Finished with 225 receptions for 3,322 yards (14.8-yard average) and 26 touchdowns … Attended the combine but didn’t participate, apparently due to a knee injury; didn’t work at pro day, either, but did appear and do some drills at a later workout.

AFC scout: “Early third-day guy. Stretch-the-field, linear-type runner. Not a very refined route runner in multi-breaking routes because there’s some tightness to him. He does have speed to stretch a defense. He’s kind of a one-trick pony in that sense. He’s not a great multi-breaking route runner. It shows. He’s just tight … Borderline introverted type personality.”

AFC scout: “He caught my eye at the Senior Bowl. He is very mentally frail. That was very much a concern that our scouts had. He’s probably no better than a third-day guy, at best.”

NFC scout: “I think he’s a third-day guy. All he’s got is size. I don’t like him. He can’t run routes. He doesn’t have quickness … All that stuff (at the combine) doesn’t scare me. They all say what a good kid he is.”

NFC scout: “He’s an athletic and productive receiver who adjusts well to the ball and flashes deep-threat ability. Lacks dominance in contested situations, finish as a blocker and consistent ability to separate. Backup … He was raised in the inner city of LA and had very little growing up. He’ll need help to develop life skills after leaving school, and will need guidance at the next level. Still learning how to take notes and study the game. Quirky personality. Hard worker who handles his business.”

AFC scout: “He’s a really good football player. He runs good. Explosive, big-play ability. Since he played at Nevada I was skeptical about him. He’s a really good traffic catcher, too. Thing is, he’s really quick. I don’t know how they got him there.”

These dudes sound like ******* Dr Phil

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Norm said:

These dudes sound like ******* Dr Phil

I read these "scout comments" and I wonder if some teams still have a group of prejudiced, mentally lazy fatsos spewing the clichés that get printed as super secret inside info on sports media.

More likely, they are professionals getting a perverse kick out of seeing their dumbest comments eaten up and regurgitated in print. As a scout, that would certainly amuse me. "Check it out, Larry, my 'mentally frail' line made it into Tyler Dunne's column. You owe me a doughnut."

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

I read these "scout comments" and I wonder if some teams still have a group of prejudiced, mentally lazy fatsos spewing the clichés that get printed as super secret inside info on sports media.

More likely, they are professionals getting a perverse kick out of seeing their dumbest comments eaten up and regurgitated in print. As a scout, that would certainly amuse me. "Check it out, Larry, my 'mentally frail' line made it into Tyler Dunne's column. You owe me a doughnut."

LOL. I want to believe it's the second one so bad. 

On 5/1/2022 at 10:53 AM, Mazrimiv said:

Even when healthy, ESB never did anything that stood out to me.  He was always a fringe player with enough ST value to stay on the roster.  That's fine for a late round pick on a rookie deal, but not someone who gets a 2nd contract.

He had a little juice when he was a rookie.  He had only three games over 50 yards receiving, and they were all his rookie year.  But everything was just down hill after that.  Always hurt. and just never the guy we saw at Notre Dame.  MVS was better than him, I believe he was picked before EQ, but Lazard and Malik Taylor were UDFAs and both easily out played him in the preseason. I don't even think he offered much on STs, he was just tall and fast.  He only had 8 tackles across his 37 games.  

Maybe he was just buried on the depth chart, and will show out with the Bears.  But I would guess that he doesn't make the team.