Round 5 Pick 179; Kingsley Enagbare, EDGE South Carolina

Packerraymond

Enagbare flashed a lot more than I expected from day one actually.  Had to go double check his workout numbers, because I had remembered them being pretty weak and he looked more athletic than expected.  Turns out it was just a bad 40, 36.5" vert at 260 is no joke and his arms measured at 34.75", hands 10.675", so he's got the length in the upper body you want too.  Biggest thing though is the heavy hands showed up day one, and that's what catches my eye.  NFL OL are a big upgrade from even good college OL, because they're all big and fast comparatively.  Being able to stun a guy off the line with just your hands in the pro guy is a legitimate skill, and Kingsley punches guys into next week on the regular.  Doesn't quite have Z's practiced violence with em yet, but may have more pop on initial contact already than Z does. 

Part of why he's flashing so much is also that Barry runs a dumb front, and he's maybe the only healthy DL type that really excels in a power rush, two gap and crush the pocket style.  He hits hard enough off the line that he can both stuff the run and create a pass rush off attacking his man's chest directly and not trying to slip him; that's a huge boon when you're being asked to get control of your man's shoulder pads and just hold the line.

• Like 4

On 4/30/2022 at 2:58 PM, Outpost31 said:

Everybody stop hyping this guy please.

He’s a 5th round EDGE rusher. You don’t strike gold in the 5th round at EDGE.

There’s something wrong with him.

This is what I said on page 2 and I am doubling down on it.

I will not become a victim to hope, expectation and anticipation.

You don’t get good EDGE in the 5th round, and if you do you’re the luckiest or the best GM in the league.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

You don’t get good EDGE in the 5th round, and if you do you’re the luckiest or the best GM in the league.

Eh.  It happens.  But you are right, you need some luck.

Recent memory here.

Judon, 5'th round pick.

Z Smith, 4th round pick.

Shaq Barret, undrafted.

Cameron Wake (100 sacks), undrafted.

I'm sure I'm missing others.  But, it does happen.

To me, Enagbare has the skillset to be very similar to Preston.  Strong Edge, not quick.  All he has to do is learn how to be "slippery" like P is at times.  I think he can be a good power edge kid.  

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Z was a 4th rounder, Kevin Greene, James Harrison,Adalius Thomas, Jared Allen, Cameron Wake, etc all went 4th round or later. It's not common but not unprecidented either.

Kinglsey is gonna be a steal and its going to be glorious.

Edit @vegas492 submitted about the same time. We're on the same wavelength but I missed 

Judon and Shaq Barret

Edited by Arthur Penske
  • Like 1

I mean we're only 13 games into the guy's career, so it could obviously still go either way, but he sure looks like a great future complement piece to Gary.  He's a bit more explosive than he sometimes looks, he's got damn heavy hands, and he plays 100% every snap.  Doesn't bend well, but he's got great contact balance and he's got great instincts for finding the ball.  Good pass rush toolbox too, and doesn't need to win clean to generate pressure which is huge.  Need to see if he can keep his game on this level as teams get more tape on him.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Eh.  It happens.  But you are right, you need some luck.

Recent memory here.

Judon, 5'th round pick.

Z Smith, 4th round pick.

Shaq Barret, undrafted.

Cameron Wake (100 sacks), undrafted.

I'm sure I'm missing others.  But, it does happen.

To me, Enagbare has the skillset to be very similar to Preston.  Strong Edge, not quick.  All he has to do is learn how to be "slippery" like P is at times.  I think he can be a good power edge kid.  

How many EDGE were drafted during that period?  Pointing out a few random hits doesn't support your argument.

14 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

How many EDGE were drafted during that period?  Pointing out a few random hits doesn't support your argument.

Unless the argument is just that there is a precedent for day three picks becoming quality starters. Even if it's just 5%, Enagbare could be that statistic.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Sure it does.  If you would read the opening statement of my post I say "Eh.  It happens.  But you are right, you need some luck."

I mean recent memory gave me a few off the top of my head.  Z.  Judon.  Barret.  

After further thought, Alex Highsmith has 11 sacks this year.  His third year in the league after being drafted in the third round.

Even further thought.  Maxx Crosby.  11.5 sacks this year.  4th round pick.

Yannick Ngakoue, third round draft pick.  9 sacks this season.

Josh Sweat, fourth round pick.  9.5 sacks.

Thank you for making me think about it more.  I stand by my statement.  You need some luck, but it does happen.  And not as infrequently as you may think.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Sure it does.  If you would read the opening statement of my post I say "Eh.  It happens.  But you are right, you need some luck."

I mean recent memory gave me a few off the top of my head.  Z.  Judon.  Barret.  

After further thought, Alex Highsmith has 11 sacks this year.  His third year in the league after being drafted in the third round.

Even further thought.  Maxx Crosby.  11.5 sacks this year.  4th round pick.

Yannick Ngakoue, third round draft pick.  9 sacks this season.

Josh Sweat, fourth round pick.  9.5 sacks.

Thank you for making me think about it more.  I stand by my statement.  You need some luck, but it does happen.  And not as infrequently as you may think.

Yup, the draft is a crap shoot. That's why I don't believe in tanking. The evaluation process is just too imperfect. 

20 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Either he turns into something and I’m wrong in the way I don’t complain about, or I’m right and this is just another Jayrone Elliot.

you have mastered the art of either being happy or being right

22 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Either he turns into something and I’m wrong in the way I don’t complain about, or I’m right and this is just another Jayrone Elliot.

Whatever he becomes I think he's definitely more of a player than Elliott was already.  Elliott could bend and had a decent first step and pretty much nothing else; that was enough to light up the preseason, but he got overwhelmed a lot by starting tackles.  Enagbare is a solid power rusher and that's a pretty stable skill set that ages well.  I don't think he'll ever be a true stud pass rusher, just lacks the athletic tricks unless he develops into an elite technician/hands guy and keeps working on the body for a few years.  Thing is team already has Gary, so a good power rusher that can crush the pocket and reduce lanes the QB can escape Gary through is going to be worth his weight in gold over the next few years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Yup, the draft is a crap shoot. That's why I don't believe in tanking. The evaluation process is just too imperfect. 

Even if you consider the draft to be a "crap shoot" you can still increase the odds of getting a good player by having more draft capital.  This is proven year after year.

It's still high variance, of course!  

all_charts.png