Round 5 Pick 179; Kingsley Enagbare, EDGE South Carolina

Packerraymond

On 12/20/2022 at 3:03 PM, Arthur Penske said:

I love pass rushers and you can never have enough of them. Some guys just know how to win in pass rush situations, no matter the athletic metrics. He seems to be one of them. 

So glad we got him in the 5th. Still need 2 more for next year though. 

For the record I’m mostly kidding. I’m well aware there are outliers, but if you don’t have an EDGE, you’re not getting them in the 5th.

With Smith and Gary, it was the perfect opportunity for us to take a flyer on Engabarle.

Also, I’m really ashamed none of you brought up Aaron Kampman or KGB to prove me wrong. Like… WTF?

We’ve literally had two hits in the fifth round at EDGE in the past 30 years and you’re picking players from different teams?

That’s the ceiling for KE though. 50-80 career sacks. If we get 50 career sacks out of him, we struck gold.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

So are we definitely content with him as 3dge next year and look for more pass rush development as a long term starter? Because I feel like that would’ve been worth like a 2nd or 3rd rounder I’m a redraft.

He's probably EDGE two until Gary is cleared to play. The kid is developing though and he's giving us more than I would have thought. Some guys don't test well but can just play. 

• Like 1

On 12/24/2022 at 5:56 PM, ChaRisMa said:

So are we definitely content with him as 3dge next year and look for more pass rush development as a long term starter? Because I feel like that would’ve been worth like a 2nd or 3rd rounder I’m a redraft.

Depends on whether or not P comes back, I guess.  If P is back, then I'm 50/50 with him being EDGE 3.

And that is only because of the draft and my hope that he take another EDGE in the first round.  And I'm all for that whether P is back or not.

As far as your statement goes for the value of EDGE 3....I won't fight yah on that one bit.  What I will say is that you probably don't want to spend a 2nd on an EDGE athlete that tested like Kingsley did.  3rd?  Fine.  But you hope for a better athlete.  And as stated...some guys just "football" better than others.

22 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

it is stunning that this defense got better after losing gary and stokes

We would be much better with them right now. Campbell going down and Walker not yet ready was an issue but mostly I think it was our DC trying to outsmart everyone and not just letting guys play to their strengths. RG with everyone else playing at this level would be feasting. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

it is stunning that this defense got better after losing gary and stokes

I mean until the Bears game we still were playing pretty pedestrian. Gave up 28/27/40 points. Stokes was definitely playing bad i'll give you that but Gary is still a piece that would of helped big time. The problem with the Defense was other key players like Clark and Amos  and Savage not playing well and overall the scheme was piss poor. And the other key component was the tackling which seems to be improved for the most part lately which helps the run d as well. I think the benching of Savage was really a solid move both ways, Ford really improved the defense with his aggressive play style and Savage seemingly took the benching well and is playing better. Clark and Amos are playing better too. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

i agree but hard to pay that guy 20million a year off the injury now that we know this defense can operate without him. 

You just paid Jenkins 17 million for a non-premium position. You fricking pay Gary and be glad you did. If you don't think this defense would be a long way better with him as a constant rush thread, I don't know what to tell you. 

I wouldn't entertain a trade for Gary unless one of the 2 first round picks was guaranteed top 10. Even then I likely wouldn't. Carolina turned down 2 - 1sts for Brian Burns. One of their few correct decisions. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

You just paid Jenkins 17 million for a non-premium position. You fricking pay Gary and be glad you did. If you don't think this defense would be a long way better with him as a constant rush thread, I don't know what to tell you. 

I wouldn't entertain a trade for Gary unless one of the 2 first round picks was guaranteed top 10. Even then I likely wouldn't. Carolina turned down 2 - 1sts for Brian Burns. One of their few correct decisions. 

OG is a much less explosive position than OLB... i need to see some production out of him post-acl to warrant it. i'd take 2 firsts in a blink.

defense would definitely be better with gary - don't get me wrong. but i would rather spend early picks on explosive talent and money elsewhere

• Like 1