Round 5 Pick 179; Kingsley Enagbare, EDGE South Carolina

Packerraymond

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I've read that he should be able to play the run well early on .. maybe that gets him on the field a bit on early downs when Gary and Preston Smith need a blow.

We seem to like that power edge more than a quick/finesse edge.  Probably for run d.  Also....our DL is going to collapse a few pockets, should be good to squeeze the pocket around the QB.  I really like this kid.  He had more bend in some clips I watched that gets me frisky.  Like he can engage a blocker, move them, then dip a shoulder and get off the block quickly when he needs to.  

I ran the pff mock simulator a lot.  They really liked Kingsley.

He's not like those other two, though.  They had pretty unreal burst and change of direction.

Kingsley is about power with just enough bend to dip a shoulder and get free when he wants to.  But he's not threatening anybody with quickness on the EDGE.  

He's not going to ever "pop" like in preseason.  He will be the guy that is part of a swarm sack when a QB moves and ends up next to him, then the next thing you know, he is on the ground.  I found great value with that pick and that skillset for us.  But, I don't think that skillset is for everyone.  Our scheme, though, seems to like it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

People forget just how poor of an athlete Z was/is. What the combine couldn't measure is that Z plays with a relentless, savage mentality. Hopefully Enagbare has the same traits and he'll be good.

His arm length + explosion (on vert) definitely translates. He has a real chance.

• Like 1

Enagbare is the perfect example of what everyone internally knows but won't openly admit. The Combine matters as much or more than your film.

Watch Enagbare on tape, look at the body type, look at the production. What's different from Travon Walker? Then you see them workout in shorts and Walker becomes pick #1 and Enagbare is pick #179.

The lie that the film is first and foremost and the Combine is just a box you need to check off is just an outdated Draft adage.

• Like 2

Look at the RAS for Whitney Mercilus.

https://ras.football/2020/01/23/whitney-mercilus-ras/

He was a lot faster.  But everything else is about even.  Last season, Mercilus was not running a 4.68 either.  Was he stronger after 10 seasons in the NFL?  Almost definitely.  But I am saying we have made this type work as recently as last season. 

31 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Enagbare is the perfect example of what everyone internally knows but won't openly admit. The Combine matters as much or more than your film.

Watch Enagbare on tape, look at the body type, look at the production. What's different from Travon Walker? Then you see them workout in shorts and Walker becomes pick #1 and Enagbare is pick #179.

The lie that the film is first and foremost and the Combine is just a box you need to check off is just an outdated Draft adage.

**** is crazy. Walker has to be the biggest "projection over production" 1st overall pick, maybe ever. 

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

You think Gary was the first top 10 pick based on projection? Been happening for years. 

Well, he was the last one, at the same position, had the same complaints (i.e. lack of production) and had the same response to the excuse (i.e. "college scheme").  So I'd be willing to bet that Rashan Gary's name came up in the Jacksonville draft room.  If the last edge rusher projection based on traits to go in the top 10 didn't work out, would they have been gunshy?

11 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Well, he was the last one, at the same position, had the same complaints (i.e. lack of production) and had the same response to the excuse (i.e. "college scheme").  So I'd be willing to bet that Rashan Gary's name came up in the Jacksonville draft room.  If the last edge rusher projection based on traits to go in the top 10 didn't work out, would they have been gunshy?

Trent Baalke selected Aldon Smith over JJ Watt, Robert Quinn and Ryan Kerrigan because of traits, his beliefs seem deep rooted and probably stronger than just the Gray situation. Baalke and Gutes may be fairly similar.