The Marvel Cinematic Universe- Silver Surfer cast

Acgott

On 12/14/2017 at 3:37 PM, HorizontoZenith said:

Unfortunatelier, Tom Hardy is in the stupid Venom movie and that probably eliminates him from contention. 

Unless it bombs. Chris Evans was Johnny Storm before becoming Captain America. So there is a chance.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Desperado82 said:

A better, more lethal version of Ultron on screen would be great. 

Thing is with these movies, the bad guys almost always suck because they have about 30 minutes to try and build an arc and then crush it.

Ultron

Hela

Ronan

Malekith

Thanos is a great character partly because of this film but they've been leading up to this for a very long time.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

Thing is with these movies, the bad guys almost always suck because they have about 30 minutes to try and build an arc and then crush it.

Ultron

Hela

Ronan

Malekith

Thanos is a great character partly because of this film but they've been leading up to this for a very long time.

Ultron benefits from having already been established. We know his backstory a little bit, and him coming back better and more violent (well, as violent as he can be for a PG-13 movie) would be nice.

21 minutes ago, Desperado82 said:

Ultron benefits from having already been established. We know his backstory a little bit, and him coming back better and more violent (well, as violent as he can be for a PG-13 movie) would be nice.

I think the violence of Ultron wasn't the issue - I think it was the he (it?) was hastily thrown together. If he was an AI that was used by Justin Hammer and repurposed by Stark, or perhaps a bit of tech introduced by Killian in Iron Man 3, then maybe there's something to develop.

The issue with Ultron was that he was talked about for 10 or so minutes between Stark and Banner, a montage of tech crunch by the two and POOF - he's aware.

• Like 1

As good as the marvel universe is, I'm beginning to have concerns about solo movies.

Iron Man solo movies: Faces a villain who gets Ironman tech

Captain America Movie 1 & 2: Faces villains who get Superhuman serum tech

Hulk Solo movies (albiet outdated) Faced villains who got Hulk gamma-radiation serum

Ant Man and Ant Man and The Wasp: Faces villains who get shrinking tech. 

Dr Strange: faces villains who are the same as him

etc, etc. It was fine at first, but it's getting redundant now 22 movies in.

At least Thor and Guardians face unique villains. But I'd really like to see more solo movies that face unique villains that have their own unique traits. There are so many good villains out there to take advantage of, Spiderman did this very well. 

On 4/30/2018 at 8:44 PM, NickButera said:

As good as the marvel universe is, I'm beginning to have concerns about solo movies.

Hulk Solo movies (albiet outdated) Faced villains who got Hulk gamma-radiation serum

At least Thor and Guardians face unique villains. But I'd really like to see more solo movies that face unique villains that have their own unique traits. There are so many good villains out there to take advantage of, Spiderman did this very well. 

The Marvel origin stories using Big Bads who weren't Deux Ex Machina level isn't a bad thing.   Origin stories are meant to create background and develop the hero(ine) and their support team so we care about them.   

To be honest, the lack of a credible Black Hat isn't the DCU problem.   They haven't done enough movies which make you care much about the character.   MoS was probably the only one that did until WW.   There, the choice of actor/director, and the focus on a non-stop violent final act (with no drama/tragedy/comedy to break it up), were key mistakes.   It's no coincidence WW's final act, still had moments which helped make WW a more layered character (her goodbye to Steve Trevor, or more accurately, his goodbye to her).     Not just action, but true character growth and development.   Snyder was awful at that.    Batman literally had zero background other than some flashback scenes and a few throwaway scenes (like Robin's suit) that meant nothing if you weren't full read on the comic verse.  THAT is not how you develop characters.    Look at even the Marvel movies that fans love the most, you see character growth/development scenes to break up the action in the final act, and a ton of character development in opening and middle acts, way more than you see with Snyder's DCU movies (except MoS).   

Even in Age of Ultron, which I really disliked - you saw Black Widow reactivate the Hulk instead of leaving together, and you saw Hawkeye giving the what-is-a-hero talk to Scarlet Witch.   That was very clunky - but it served a purpose you see in the great movies - it's not just non-stop action.  There's still character growth / comedy moments so it's not just a Transformers-movie ending.  GotG had this in spades (Kevin Bacon jokes, Groot's sacrifice, danceoff in GOTG 1, and then in GOTG 2, another compelling sacrifice, PacMan showing up - but doing fewer of those, GOTG's final chapter was more fatiguing to me that GOTG 1's, IMO).   Snyder's DC is all action to the climax, no character moments (other than when someone dies, how it impacts others), all done with the subtlety of a sledgehammer.

The DCU should do more origin stories.  Get directors who don't just think non-stop action will make up for 2-dimensional heroes and villains.   And stop hiring actors to do one theme (dark/brooding) and don't have any other range.  That's Saturday morning cartoon TV.   

EDIT: Realize this is a MCU thread, but couldn't help but draw the parallels between the 2 given the differences here.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

On 4/30/2018 at 8:44 PM, NickButera said:

Villians that hold up a mirror to your hero are much more dynamic, layered, and impactful. 

11 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Villians that hold up a mirror to your hero are much more dynamic, layered, and impactful. 

Except when its done in about half of their films, to the point is is so redundant that it becomes predictable.

You guys wanting for all of these XMen villains, are really going to be disappointed when we dont see a single mention of them for atleast the next 5 years

7 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Except when its done in about half of their films, to the point is is so redundant that it becomes predictable.

You guys wanting for all of these XMen villains, are really going to be disappointed when we dont see a single mention of them for atleast the next 5 years

Did anyone think five years ago Spider Man would be in an Avengers movie?

8 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

A. predictable is not always a bad thing

B. we have been using the same story telling methods since the beginning of time. This is just another that you probably never noticed is used in almost EVERY story/book/movie/tv show you have ever seen. It is just more obvious when you throw heroes and powers into it. 

Been re watching all of the MCU as I prepare to watch Infinity Wars. I have to say Civil War was not nearly as good as I remembered it. In theaters I came away loving it, but I now think I was just  mesmerized from seeing every hero and the admittedly awesome fight scene. However, having watched all the films in quick succession, I do not think it holds a candle to Winter Soldier as a film. The overall plot as well as the smaller points that build up to the major fight sequences both fall flat to me. I also really do not like how they handled Bucky as a character in the film,  especially now when I know he likely will take the mantle of Captain America considering his contract and Chris Evans' reluctance to play the role anymore. 

Before this whole re-watch Civil War was my 2nd favorite MCU film, but I'm not sure it's even in my top 5 anymore. 

28 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Been re watching all of the MCU as I prepare to watch Infinity Wars. I have to say Civil War was not nearly as good as I remembered it. In theaters I came away loving it, but I now think I was just  mesmerized from seeing every hero and the admittedly awesome fight scene. However, having watched all the films in quick succession, I do not think it holds a candle to Winter Soldier as a film. The overall plot as well as the smaller points that build up to the major fight sequences both fall flat to me. I also really do not like how they handled Bucky as a character in the film,  especially now when I know he likely will take the mantle of Captain America considering his contract and Chris Evans' reluctance to play the role anymore. 

Before this whole re-watch Civil War was my 2nd favorite MCU film, but I'm not sure it's even in my top 5 anymore. 

I agree Civil War takes a hit as you watch it more, but for different reasons:

1.  The characters' positions on the Sokovia accords were incredibly arbitrary.   Rhodes, I totally get.   But Vision's

2.  Too many characters that needed expansion/introduction.  If you recall, Sharon Carter was a key player, along with T'Challa, Everett Ross, and of course, Spidey.  And of course, we needed to learn about Zemo.   Plus, Vision & Maximoff were being integrated from AoU into the group, so they needed developmennt.   My rule of thumb - you can only introduce 1-2 key characters in an ensemble movie and do it well - BvS introduced WW, and that was reasonably well done (her origin piece is what killed it).  But JL had too many to introduce, and suffered badly for it.   The same happened here, IMO.     I forgot to add that Civil War also needed to develop the Banner & Romanoff romance - but that was very well done, FWIW, so I don't include it in the problem list.    But overall CW had too much new character development / expansion that it could handle in its timeframe, and that led to...

3.  An awful Black Hat.  Death sentence to a good hero movie.   Not enough time, or character choice, or both - but whatever the reason, the Black Hat Zemo wasn't threatening at all.   And frankly, it was pretty implausible how he could turn everyone to his agenda so easily.   Didn't explore how he could have played the field, and really didn't explore his motivations until the end...and then it was just by-the-numbers...just zero payoff. 

Civil Wars was awesome because it was a great premise - and it introduced characters we wanted to see more of.  But there is no way that it holds up to A1, or Winter Soldier..or Infinity Wars.    It's not even close IMO.  

• Like 1

• Acgott changed the title to The Marvel Cinematic Universe- Silver Surfer cast