Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2022 (All Up)

goldfishwars

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Yeah, that’s my take. High picks sets a high bar. Hutch was a fine pick, but I don’t think he’s the best prospect in the class like a lot of others, and I am definitely lower on Williams than most.

Paschal I thought was a reach, and everything else was ok value in my mind. Not a top draft to me.

They did get good value trading up though.

I liked Pascal as the 3rd pick, then I looked at the 2nd-round slot and felt less thrilled. 

The bottom line is that no one gets worse on draft day but some teams get much better. We rank them on who improve the most.

9 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Skipping on QB in this draft class only makes it look better to me.

I dont understand that complaint

Aw damn they missed out on…Kenny Pickett. Desmond Ridder….Howell? 

All this crap this QB Class gets, one of these guys is gonna end up a HOFer now watch

2 hours ago, Chiefer said:

I dont understand that complaint

Aw damn they missed out on…Kenny Pickett. Desmond Ridder….Howell? 

All this crap this QB Class gets, one of these guys is gonna end up a HOFer now watch

That's a question.

Virtually every year there is at least one new HoF player who was not drafted in the 1st round. Who will it be this year? Will we have one from day #3?

3. Kansas City Chiefs

2022 NFL draft: Everything to know about Kansas City Chiefs on Day 2

This Class In One Sentence:                                                             

Man, just stop being good at everything

Pre-Draft Needs

CB, EDGE, WR, DT, TE

Selections

Round 1. 21. Trent McDuffie  | CB | Washington

Round 1. 30. George Karlaftis  | DE | Purdue

Round 2. 54. Skyy Moore  | WR | Western Michigan

Round 2. 62. Bryan Cook  | S | Cincinnati

Round 3. 103. Leo Chenal  | LB | Wisconsin

Round 4. 135. Joshua Williams  | CB | Fayetteville State

Round 5. 145. Darian Kinnard  | OT | Kentucky

Round 7. 243. Jaylen Watson  | CB | Washington State

Round 7. 251. Isaih Pacheco  | RB | Rutgers

Round 7. 259. Nazeeh Johnson  | S | Marshall

What I liked:

You know who is a good GM? Little Brett Veach. He never panics and always puts his team in a good position to succeed. And what’s more, he doesn’t have John Dorsey’s fetish for naughty boys. Certainly some if the wolves were circling after Tyreek was traded and the roster was looking a little worn through. That big-play threat from anywhere on the field was gone. That’s a significant tactical loss, defenses were going to load up on Kelce and everyone’s life was going to be harder in KC. But man, they’ve bounced back in a way that didn’t seem possible.

The team needed a cornerback, so they moved up and found a dumb-dumb partner in New England who should have stayed there and drafted McDuffie, which is what the Chiefs did. He is slightly undersized, but he’s twitchy, feisty and good against the run. He really has the exact skill-set which has flourished in smaller talent packages in KC. The good news for Pats fans is that they could relax and think about a certain pass-rusher of Greek origin floating their way.

The Chiefs needed to beef up the pass-rush, and landed George Karlaftis much to everyone’s annoyance. He’s long, powerful and everything Spagnuolo adores at the position. They could have gone in a number of directions at that same spot, but I couldn’t have imagined a world where he would have been available a couple of weeks before – he was just always in the backfield at Purdue even if he wasn’t lighting up the stat sheet.

Skyy Moore is a gift at 54, coming off a ludicrously dominant final season at Western Michigan with 10 TDs and 1,300 yards in where he showed off his insane acceleration and soft hands. That just seemed like two magnets being drawn together. The Chiefs might not have a singular explosive weapon on offense, but man they're heading into 2022 with a much deeper corps than they've carried. Elsewhere in round 2, I like the Bryan Cook selection. He's a big, capable safety and was team captain at Cinci. He's a player who thrives in hoovering trash around the box.  

Leo Chenal joins recent draft picks Nick Bolton and Willie Gay in a re-tooled linebacking group, where he adds a blend of size and power, and some additional pass-rush from the second level. He could be very good if they know what to do with him. I also like the 5th round selection on Darian Kinnard, who offers a considerable size/power combination and the ability to fill-in or develop at a couple of spots. Joshua Williams is a very decent bet on size and athleticism at corner or safety, something to marinate. 

What I didn’t like:

I mean, there was very little not to be impressed by. The Chiefs were set-up to pretty well, got a little luck along the way, and delivered a seriously impressive haul. I guess as a fan of an AFC football team, my only relief comes from the team’s ongoing reluctance to give Chris Jones more help on the interior of that defense.

• Like 6

I was getting ready to be mad about the Chiefs being ranked so highly, but I forgot how many great picks they made in the later rounds.  Moore and Cook were great values, Chenal and Kinnard were steals.

I probably have them below one or two of these others that were in the top 10, but yeah.  They nailed it.

Karlaftis is perfect for Spags's defense, as he compares really favorably to Justin Tuck. Rumor was Reid and Co wanted Wan'Dale Robinson in the 2nd, but they had to settle for Skyy Moore, who may be a better prospect and very well could turn out to be a better pro anyway. I also love the Pacheco pick for them. 

• Like 1

Chiefs were my #2 draft after the Ravens at #1, they found great value in the later portion of round day 1 and 2. Love that they stuck it to the pundits too and didn't take a WR round 1. Though they aren't getting blasted for it like GB.

Everyone is slobbering over the Jets draft, but when you have all the capital they did, kind of assume you're going to get some good players. Think the media got more hyped over a few days at the Senior Bowl for Johnson than his actual tape. Top 50 player for sure, but he doesn't win routinely enough to be a top 15 pick. Lots of really good FO's from picks 15-25 passed on him, should raise some concerns.

Great read as always, interested to see which of those two end up #1 for you. 

This is about right for the Chiefs since they didn't have the Jets' wealth of draft capital. Their draft capital was very comparable to the Ravens which makes for an intersting side-by-side comparison. Choosing among the three is a matter of taste and the Chiefs had an expensive trade-up against them. 

Here are a few points which are not well circulated.

• Every draft profile on Leo Chenal says he hits hard, tests well, and blitzes very well. No one connects that with playing Edge because he was strictly off-ball in college. The Chiefs plan to use him as Sam and backup Mike. I would not be surprised if it becomes an OLB/DE hybrid, playing a 2-point DE in a rush line. 
  • If Chenal is a stand-up DE it's because Karlaftis can slide inside. 
  • Veach may not have a penchant for bad boys but he does have a preference for hitters. Karlaftis, Cook, Chenal, Kinnard, and even 7th round RB Pacheco are all known for it. Add that to Bolton and Trey Smith from the 2021 class and the team identity looks a lot tougher.
  • I would have liked to have seen some commentary on the other day #3 picks. Williams and Watson are the sort of under-the-radar DB that the team has used for years. Williams is a very productive Div II player and Watson is from an afterthought school in the Pac 12. Both are long, tall, fast, athletic, and greener than grass after a storm.
  • There was a definite eye in the draft for special teams. Over 2000 ST snaps are no longer on the roster. Five DBs and a LB will make up for a lot of that. Skyy Moore has obvious potential as a PR. Pacheo's sub 4.4 speed says KR. The last pick was a, "Who's that?" Nazeeh Johson is an older, versatile, fast DB with a ton of leadership chops. I am guessing he was drafted to replace Dorian O'Daniel. They also added UDFA LB Mike Rose.
  • Speaking of UDFA, they signed Clemson WR Justyn Ross. 
  • Unlike a lot of teams, the Chiefs mostly went with younger players. Nazeeh Johson is the notable exception.
Edited by onejayhawk
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

KC and Baltimore were 2 of the very few AFC teams who didn’t go bananas in FA or make a huge trade this offseason.

And they both (seemingly) crushed the draft.

The AFC is annoying.

The Chiefs signed or traded for JuJu Smith-Schuster, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Justin Reid, and Lonnie Johnson. That's a fair haul.

Of course they lost Tyrann Mathieu and Tyreek Hill. Those are big shoes to fill. 

Edited by onejayhawk