Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2022 (All Up)

goldfishwars

The Washington draft has the potential to be 26th or 6th, imo.

From what I understand? Dotson is very similar to Scary Terry on & off the field. If he produces like Terry? He will be well worth the #16th pick.

Mathis is the only true head scratcher, imo. But I know why they did it. Apparently, he was coming off the board in the next 10 picks, had we not taken him. Payne's future with the team is in doubt & we let Settles & the Greek walk. Still not a fan of the pick. Hopefully, he's a stud.

Robinson was a good pick, imo. We don't have a true power back that Robinson can provide. A short yardage thumper. Too high for him where we took him? Perhaps....But it will be worth it when we're closing out games with a 2 TD lead vs teams & Gibson is watching Robinson doing it from the sidelines & not fumbling.

Percy Butler ran a 4.36-4.37 40. 2nd fastest time of all Safety prospects. If you're a Madden guy like me? That means his speed will be around 95/96/97...uh....that's fast. How will he do in real life? I have no idea...lol But you can't teach speed.

Howell in the 5th? Might be the steal of the draft. Warner liked him over all other QB's in this draft. He's got a great arm, is very mobile, smart...scored high on Wonderlic,  can hit on all levels on the field. He just doesn't have the prototypical size you look for in a QB. So Howell, could be nothing.........or he could be Drew Brees part 2. Well worth a 5th rounder.

Cole Taylor was a very good pick. TE who is 6'7" 250 lbs  from Nevada. QB Carson Stong's big target. I thought this pick was awesome.

• Like 1

I like the Bears draft fairly well and would probably rank it in the middle. Gordon and Brisker were both great choices, Braxton and Thomas should develop into quality linemen for Fields, Jones and Ebner are both major threats on special teams, and Robinson is one of several underrated pass rushers. 

It's not flashy, but good rebuilds seldom are. This may be the draft where they finally start to turn around.

• Like 2

24. Denver Broncos

Be the GM: Broncos 2022 Vote Mock 2.0 - Mile High Report

This Class In One Sentence:

Another team with a trade addition eating up draft capital, but with added sensible picks

Pre-Draft Needs

RT, EDGE, CB, TE, RB

Selections

Round 2 64. Nik Bonitto  | EDGE | Oklahoma

Round 3 80. Greg Dulcich  | TE | UCLA

Round 4 115. Damarri Mathis  | CB | Pittsburgh

Round 4 116. Eyioma Uwazurike  | DT | Iowa State

Round 5 152. Delarrin Turner-Yell  | S | Oklahoma

Round 5 162. Montrell Washington  | WR | Samford

Round 5 171. Luke Wattenberg  | C | Washington

Round 6 206. Matt Henningsen  | DT | Wisconsin

Round 7 232. Faion Hicks  | DB | Wisconsin

What I liked:

No picks until 64, but I really liked the two selections on day two – Paton has done a phenomenal job in whipping this roster in shape. Bonitto, at minimum, offers a juiced-up third and long rusher – he has every trait you want to see except ideal size. I like Dulcich a lot, a diet Noah Fant who was packaged to Seattle as part of the Wilson deal. He’s got some ability as a receiver. I like the Mathis pick at 115 too, he’s uber-athletic and can play a role at a number of spots in Denver’s sub packages. Montrell Washington is a good kick returner.

What I didn’t like:

There was no expected attempt to shore up a troublesome right tackle spot, which will now be left to Billy Turner and Tom Compton to battle it out. Other than that, it’s a draft to fill roles and stretch the depth out rather than that injects exciting starting calibre talent. There isn’t really a day three selection to get excited about. Luke Wattenberg kind of sucked, I’m surprised he got drafted that high.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

You seem upset, man

misinformation is something that can lead to the decline of society, need to address it whenever possible.  For example, the Saints only used 18, 98, 101, 120, 237 the '23 1st and '24 2nd for picks #11, #19,and #194.  Depending on how you grade future picks, that's a damn near even trade for the Saints based of trade charts.  On top of that the Saints couldn't have realistically traded for AJ Brown and paid him that contract even if they could've made room.  They finally are getting their cap situation close to under control and having nearly $50 million tied up in WRs is just a bad place to be in.

2 minutes ago, Raves said:

misinformation is something that can lead to the decline of society, need to address it whenever possible.  For example, the Saints only used 18, 98, 101, 120, 237 the '23 1st and '24 2nd for picks #11, #19,and #194.  Depending on how you grade future picks, that's a damn near even trade for the Saints based of trade charts.  On top of that the Saints couldn't have realistically traded for AJ Brown and paid him that contract even if they could've made room.  They finally are getting their cap situation close to under control and having nearly $50 million tied up in WRs is just a bad place to be in.

Okay, sorry it was a good draft

• Like 6

Should just be a rule, if you're not getting a top 12 pick in the draft, you don't give up your future 1st. The Saints threw in a future 2nd to top it off. 

A team without a franchise QB with 4 combined day 1 + day 2 picks over the next 2 years. Sounds like a poorly run operation to me.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Raves said:

For example, the Saints only used 18, 98, 101, 120, 237 the '23 1st and '24 2nd for picks #11, #19,and #194.  

That still seems ridiculous no matter how you slice it. Especially in this draft, with like 15 good WR prospects.

The only way this turns out well for you, imo, is if you make it to the second round of the playoffs. That way your 1st next year is at the bottom of the draft.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Some would say the Bears didn’t give Fields anyone to throw the ball to but I think he’s gonna be throwing Gordon and Brisker the ball a whole lot in practice with that OL and those Receivers.

Poles' plan is to return kicks with his 2 new kick returners. Go run, run, pass.  Punt on 4th down with his new punter.  Play defense with his new toys. Repeat process.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Raves said:

So they only gave up roughly a full draft class worth of picks for those 3 picks.

I don't really think the issue is whether or not those trades were fair by whatever draft pick value chart you want to use. The word GFW used for it was "odd," and I think that's fair. Had the Saints invested this much in picking up a franchise QB, I don't think anyone would question this. Had a team like Green Bay or Buffalo or KC, a team that already has a franchise QB looking to patch final holes and make the final push for next year's superbowl shot, showed this kind of aggressive investment of future capital for immediate value, I don't think anyone would question it. KC and LAR have done things like this (though typically for vets, not rookies) and there has been little question as it aligns with the teams' positions in the league. But spending all those picks that will result in young, cheap, players, to get basically just the two, feels like a team saying that they are those two players away from winning the superbowl next year. And while New Orleans has a very strong roster, one would think they'd want those young players as they continue to navigate their cap issues, one would think they'd want the draft capital to try to get a QB better than Winston at some point, and honestly, given their history of drafting and developing talent, I'd think that alone would be reason for them to want a lot of picks. They do good work with them, traditionally. Trading future high picks is generally the mark of a team saying okay, this will hurt us in a few years, but we'll be better right now in exchange. And it just doesn't seem like that's what the Saints should be doing. These are generally your superbowl or bust kind of moves. If they still had Payton and Brees, sure. But with Dennis Allen and Jameis Winston? It just seems insanely optimistic, and way too likely to backfire.

• Like 4

Just now, Matts4313 said:

@goldfishwars => have you explained how where you are picking plays a role? Like having the Jets resources vs a playoff team really isnt fair from the start. But if its "how well you did with what you had" it makes it a little more fair. 

Definitely more of the latter, but if a team set themselves up well and executes a good class then of course that's not equal to the Rams only taking 4th rounders onwards. 

• Like 1