49ers Re-sign Jason Verrett to a One year Deal

You can't rely on him but we don't need to with the corners we have on the roster right now. There's really no downside to bringing him back. Last year we relied on him to be our #1 CB just like he was in 2020 and that was a mistake. Now that won't be the case in 2022. 

• Like 4

Do we think he can play the slot? maybe not a good idea to have him inside with bigger bodies around him, but perhaps he is the third corner that comes on the field in the nickel, with eman moving inside? 

At this point, I feel like Verrett is just going to stick around until the end. I don't know if he's interested in coaching, after his playing career. There are some players that I feel will turn out to be coaches, and they kinda select their playing destination based on the coaches. I have this feeling Nate Sudfeld will end up being a coach, one day, and that's the reason he wanted to come play for Kyle Shanahan. It's not based on an interview or anything. Just a feeling. Verrett is just one of those players that's just so smart on the field. He could follow in the footsteps of Demeco Ryans. Whether he plays a significant role on the field this year, I think Verrett will play a significant role on the sideline and on the practice field. Didn't he spend the year with the team? I think he and Mostert were on the sidelines during the playoffs. 

• Like 2

This really is a win-win all the way around and helps to strengthen the chances of having a healthy CB group all year long. 

If we only go with 4 safeties, we could carry 6 corners. We know that C Ward, Moseley, Thomas, Lenoir, and Womack are locks, which leaves 1 spot for Verrett, Johnson, Castro-Fields, and Dennard to battle for.

If Verrett has a good camp, he could grab the last spot and the Niners can send Castro-Fields and Johnson to the PS. If Verrett has a good camp but Castro-Fields or someone else has an amazing camp, we can try and get Verrett to the PS, or have him on a short list to bring back when an injury happens. 

There's really no down side to this move. 

• Like 1