Can Shanny/Lynch survive in San fran Trey Lance if he busts?

Kiwibrown

On 5/9/2022 at 6:04 PM, Forge said:

This would be a very interesting situation. 

Shanny is not a great in game decision maker. His entire coaching tree is ridiculously conservative it feels like

I started thinking about this after I read it and wow you’re right. 

17 hours ago, SkippyX said:

Ask John Fox in Denver, Jim Caldwell in Indy, or Doug Pederson in Philly.

Coaching is a tough gig.

These coaches are in much different situations.  Two of them had Payton Manning, the other had a QB who was still traded for FRP after sulking.  The Eagles also had what seemed to be one of the more toxic end to seasons before Doug got canned.

Shanny took a team poor in talent and got them to a superbowl, then a down season with injuries and back to the NFCCG.  We cant even pawn off Jimmy G for a 3rd round pick right now.  After Doug was removed (or as dont recall) they still got a first for Wentz.  I know there is a history but coaches being in the hot seat but I hope the Yorks are not that stupid.

If Shanny was let go he could choose which of 10 franchises he wanted to coach.

• Like 1

So, did I miss something? Do they not still have Jimmy G?  I don't think Jimmy is very good, but he has shown enough to be able to get the team to the playoffs.  Let's say Lance just stinks.  Like liability awful.  They keep Jimmy G and make the playoffs.  Is that grounds for firing? 

15 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

So, did I miss something? Do they not still have Jimmy G?  I don't think Jimmy is very good, but he has shown enough to be able to get the team to the playoffs.  Let's say Lance just stinks.  Like liability awful.  They keep Jimmy G and make the playoffs.  Is that grounds for firing? 

There are probably 20 QBs who have shown enough for Shanny to be able to coach them to the playoffs, I do respect what Jimmy has done for the team and how he has handled himself but to claim that he was a significant reason for reaching the super bowl or NFCCG you would be wrong.  If you want to use Shannys record with vs without Jimmy be sure you understand the QBs who are in that without list:  Mullens, CJ Beathard, Hoyer.  

Jimmy is not still on the roster because the team does not believe in Lance, Jimmy is on the roster because the FO has not received a deal that they believe approaches Jimmys worth.  

This is similar the the KC situation with Mahomes and Smith, but Smith had enough value to be traded.  If Mahomes didn't pan out do you feel that Reid should have been shown the door?  And if this is the case no HC should feel comfortable without an established top 5 QB.  

As this is a forum and we post opinions, my opinion is that the 49ers would be foolish to remove Shanny as HC.  The 49ers would be back in the purgatory of trying to find a decent head coach while wadding through such people as Nolan, Tomsula, Kelly, Singletary.  My opinion is that there is not another coach in the league I would feel would be an upgrade to Shanny if the 49ers were able to swap coaches.  

If Lance does bust could there be a shift in power/personnel control?  Yes that would be much more likely than a removal of Shanny from the HC position.  

• Like 4

If the team busts with him, then no, they can't.  If Lance busts, but the team stays competitive, I think they can weather that storm, even with the substantial price they paid to get him.  Before last season, I felt they were more directly tied to Lance's success than I do now.   

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, burlow said:

There are probably 20 QBs who have shown enough for Shanny to be able to coach them to the playoffs, I do respect what Jimmy has done for the team and how he has handled himself but to claim that he was a significant reason for reaching the super bowl or NFCCG you would be wrong.  If you want to use Shannys record with vs without Jimmy be sure you understand the QBs who are in that without list:  Mullens, CJ Beathard, Hoyer.  

Jimmy is not still on the roster because the team does not believe in Lance, Jimmy is on the roster because the FO has not received a deal that they believe approaches Jimmys worth.  

This is similar the the KC situation with Mahomes and Smith, but Smith had enough value to be traded.  If Mahomes didn't pan out do you feel that Reid should have been shown the door?  And if this is the case no HC should feel comfortable without an established top 5 QB.  

As this is a forum and we post opinions, my opinion is that the 49ers would be foolish to remove Shanny as HC.  The 49ers would be back in the purgatory of trying to find a decent head coach while wadding through such people as Nolan, Tomsula, Kelly, Singletary.  My opinion is that there is not another coach in the league I would feel would be an upgrade to Shanny if the 49ers were able to swap coaches.  

If Lance does bust could there be a shift in power/personnel control?  Yes that would be much more likely than a removal of Shanny from the HC position.  

Right.  I don't disagree with any of that.

I am saying that IF Lance is terribad, they have a diaper already.  If the team remains competitive, I don't see anyone being fired, except Lance.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Right.  I don't disagree with any of that.

I am saying that IF Lance is terribad, they have a diaper already.  If the team remains competitive, I don't see anyone being fired, except Lance.   

I don't see any chance they give up on Lance after one year. Even if he is bad..... he would have to be legendarily bad for that to happen IMO. Especially considering what they gave up for him.

But I get your point. If he reaches that level of bad and the team believes that he's the weakest link then, yes, Shanny is safe. I hope no GM is that stupid to fire Shanny at this stage.

Even in that worst case scenario though....they may start evaluating the QB position but I think Lance gets at least 1.5 years before they decide to fully move on for him.

Now, if Lance is declared a bust after those 2 full years as a starter and the team isn't very competitive moving into 2024 then the seat may get red hot for Shanny.  HCs get short leashes.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2022 at 10:24 PM, Kiwibrown said:

There are grumblings that Trey might not be it. I'm not saying it is the case, rather in the hypothetical situation that Trey is an out and out bust will it cause thendpwnfallnof Shanny and Lynch in san fran?

A lot of the grumblings are from the Chris Simms of the world who didn't show up to a single practice in camp last season. Chris uses the terms like anybody or everybody, but doesn't ask everybody. Granted he is close to Kyle, but I think by now we know Kyle doesn't show his cards. 

As for the answer to the question, I don't think Lynch makes it out alive, Kyle does. Kyle is renowned as a playcaller and play sequencer. John is a former player and hasn't made his name as an evaluator.

I think it's really hard to say there have been rumblings either way when we're at the very beginning stages of OTAs. 

I think one thing that probably works in their favor is that none of the rookie QB's played very well last season outside of Mac Jones, who really wouldn't have added anything that Jimmy G didn't already provide for them.

16 hours ago, StatKing said:

There's zero chance they fire Shanahan. He will coach there as long as he wants.

I'm sorry, what has he done to warrant that kind of job security? Last I checked he has a losing record as HC and hasn't won a SB.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2022 at 8:42 PM, Malfatron said:

He survived when jimmy g busted.

It just depends on how the rest of the team is

Did Jimmy G really bust though? In the two seasons he has been healthy they went 22-9, nearly won a super bowl, and nearly made it to another one last season, lol.