Around the NFL: (2022 Edition)

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Not hoping JG leaves but am hoping a back Door deal is in place with Vic, assuming JG is gone after the NFCCG/SB. 

Great thing if Sean Payton is going to Denver, he’s obviously not going back there to DC.

Was reports that he wanted Vic.

3 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Slick Nick getting snubbed for the coach of the year award. Should have at least been a finalist. 

I was a little surprised he wasn't a finalist, but not at all surprised that he wasn't going to win the award. 

The voters do not reward coaches who have MVP level Quarterbacks. Look at how Lafleur finished with Rodgers or Reid with Mahomes, etc. The primary outlier to this in recent years was John Harbaugh with Lamar, and that was mostly because people didn't think the ravens were going to be good that year (their projected win total was like 6). The award typically goes to the team that outplays it's preseason expectation or a team that overcomes massive injuries. I think that makes voters feel like the coaches are actually doing something and having a real impact.  You really have to shred the league...finish 16-1, 15-2 to make it happen otherwise, imo. Those type of wins are kind of outliers. Once they lost the Minshew games, I figured it killed any chance that he had to win the award 

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

I was a little surprised he wasn't a finalist, but not at all surprised that he wasn't going to win the award. 

The voters do not reward coaches who have MVP level Quarterbacks. Look at how Lafleur finished with Rodgers or Reid with Mahomes, etc. The primary outlier to this in recent years was John Harbaugh with Lamar, and that was mostly because people didn't think the ravens were going to be good that year (their projected win total was like 6). The award typically goes to the team that outplays it's preseason expectation or a team that overcomes massive injuries. I think that makes voters feel like the coaches are actually doing something and having a real impact.  You really have to shred the league...finish 16-1, 15-2 to make it happen otherwise, imo. Those type of wins are kind of outliers. Once they lost the Minshew games, I figured it killed any chance that he had to win the award 

Did anyone think the eagles would win 14 games though before this season started? Shouldn't Nick be awarded for making a QB most people thought was trash an MVP candidate? 

2 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

Did anyone think the eagles would win 14 games though before this season started? Shouldn't Nick be awarded for making a QB most people thought was trash an MVP candidate? 

Doesn't matter to the voters imo. They still thought the eagles were going to be a good team. That's the difference between that Harbaugh / Ravens team and this eagles team. The eagles were the betting favorites to win the east out of Caesar's sports books before the season started. People didn't think that they would be this good, of course, but I think the history of the award has shown more favoritism to teams and coaches that were expected to be bad and ended up good (Daboll / giants) than teams that were expected to be good and then just exceeded those expectations. 

I do believe that he would have likely won if they had finished 16-1. I thought he would have still been a finalist even now, little shocked that he wasn't. 

Also, this is just my take of how the voters give the award by looking out over past winners. Bad teams who ended up good or teams overcoming injuries.

25 minutes ago, Forge said:

I tend to agree. For him not to be mentioned is a little crazy though. I guess we’re more likely for GM of the year but coaching a team to both top 5 offense and defense while turning your QB into an MVP candidate is more impressive than some of these guys mentioned, IMO. 

Looks like Steichen’s interview didn’t go well with Carolina.

Sounds like if people want Gannon hired then better hope Ryans chooses Denver.

Also, lol @ Indy. They interviewed so many different candidates and Irsay still wants to go with Saturday. I’m so glad we have Lurie.