The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

15 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

You can draft well outside the first if you're a good GM as well.

Even Mayock drafted good outside the 1st.  I think Mayock drafted well to be honest, but that’s cuz I think he wasn’t drafting the first round prospects for the most part.  He failed because he allowed      The coaches to make the 1st round picks, which is his fault for not being a real GM and why he was deservingly fired.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I’m not questioning you on the authenticity of the 35% stat but…

is that an actual stat or you giving a more or less accurate stat off the top of your head?

Actual stat, I saw someone post it on Twitter, I think they got it from PFF.

9 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Even Mayock drafted good outside the 1st.  I think Mayock drafted well to be honest, but that’s cuz I think he wasn’t drafting the first round prospects for the most part.  He failed because he allowed  The coaches to make the 1st round picks, which is his fault for not being a real GM and why he was deservingly fired.

Did Mayock really draft that well outside of the 1st round though?

* Bolded = starters still / Underlined = no longer here / Italic = still here

2021: Moehrig, Koonce, Deablo, Gillespie, Hobbs, Morrissey

2020: Bowden, Edwards, Muse, Simpson, Robertson

2019: MullenCrosby, Johnson, Moreau, Renfrow, Bell

Obviously Crosby was an amazing pick and Renfrow was great value as well. Moehrig / Hobbs seemed more like Gus Bradley guys and both regressed in year two. Other than that we got a couple other depth guys but not really much else. 

On 2/4/2023 at 7:05 PM, Geezy said:

No doubt, I feel DZ added some nice pieces in last years draft. I’d just like to see what he could do at the top of the draft. Also, I don’t think trading top picks every year is a recipe for sustained success. With ARod we’d be good for 2-3 years but then we will be in the same position we are in now without a young core to take over. Can we build a defense that can compete to make the move worth it? I feel we’re so far away on that side of the ball and there’s is some quality guys that can help this year. 

i really like how the 9ers and Eagles have built their team. Inside out, and made it where it’d be very hard for a QB to not be successful. ARod is an All Timer, but it’s a Bandaid solution. We have to deal with #15 for 10-15 years. 

Trading premium picks isn't a recipe for long term success, look at the Rams, it's for teams that are a piece or two away from being a legitimate contender.

10 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Whenever I hear people say “traits” I think of JaMarcus Russell and Kyle Boller.  That’s what drafting traits get you.  When you draft off traits your isolating one factor and ignoring the player’s combined talents.  Sure they can rifle a remarkable throw 35yds but that’s once a game on average.  Successful QBs are guys who can consistently get 1st downs.  I’ll take consistency over highlights 100% of the time.  Also, what makes anyone think McD can successfully develop such a massive project?

Traits guys are even riskier now because college offenses are so wide open and basically every good starting QB was good to elite in college. As you said traits are just physical talent but don't really say anything about how a guy commands an offense. And it's a little suspect that if a guy is so physically talented that he couldn't use those tools to dominate in college. 

It's not even necessarily about JMD, outside of Josh Allen how many other massive QB project type prospects have developed and become studs? It's difficult to teach a guy to be accurate. 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Traits guys are even riskier now because college offenses are so wide open and basically every good starting QB was good to elite in college. As you said traits are just physical talent but don't really say anything about how a guy commands an offense. And it's a little suspect that if a guy is so physically talented that he couldn't use those tools to dominate in college. 

It's not even necessarily about JMD, outside of Josh Allen how many other massive QB project type prospects have developed and become studs? It's difficult to teach a guy to be accurate. 

This is a very good point. Agreed, it’s concerning to say the least.

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

What would you say our 5 biggest needs are going into the offseason? For me:

1. Quarterback

2. Interior Defensive Line

3. Interior Offensive Line

4. Cornerback 

5. Linebacker 

That looks about right to me. I might switch LB for SS. But the Raiders need to get pressure up the middle to combat the QBs in the division. They also need the DEs to keep them from flushing out of the pocket which is why I’m totally in favor of drafting a blue chip DE. 

Just now, Chali21 said:

That looks about right to me. I might switch LB for SS. But the Raiders need to get pressure up the middle to combat the QBs in the division. They also need the DEs to keep them from flushing out of the pocket which is why I’m totally in favor of drafting a blue chip DE. 

I'd like to see Harmon back on another 1-2 year deal if he'll resign cheap. If we can bring him back I think Harmon/Moehrig is pretty serviceable. We really don't have anything at LB assuming that we're going to let Denzel Perryman walk. 

We could definitely use another edge rusher as well and I'd be cool with one at #7. I'm just not sure if it's really a pressing need because we still have Maxx/Chandler on the roster. Chandler wasn't very good but I think he'll still have a big role in the defense, mainly because of his contract. 

On 2/4/2023 at 2:56 PM, NYRaider said:

People fall in love with athletic QBs every year but ignore the fact that accuracy is the most important factor in a QB being successful. Richardson completed 35% of his passes past the LOS this season, he’s historically inaccurate lol

Drafting an athletic QB is like using the dark side, it’s quicker for success but it’s not the best long term solution. Look at Kyler and Burrow, and ask yourself who is going to be better in ten years. 

2 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

Drafting an athletic QB is like using the dark side, it’s quicker for success but it’s not the best long term solution. Look at Kyler and Burrow, and ask yourself who is going to be better in ten years. 

I'm not sure it really applies for Richardson though because he's still a year or two away from being ready to potentially start. Guys like Kyler, Lamar, Cam, Hurts, etc. were able to contribute early on but they were all elite college players. 

46 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I'm not sure it really applies for Richardson though because he's still a year or two away from being ready to potentially start. Guys like Kyler, Lamar, Cam, Hurts, etc. were able to contribute early on but they were all elite college players. 

None of them should've started the 1st year. They all could've used time to develop as a pocket passers but HCs need to win now so no one is going to lose there job to develop a QB.

1 minute ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

None of them should've started the 1st year. They all could've used time to develop as a pocket passers but HCs need to win now so no one is going to lose there job to develop a QB.

Those guys were elite college players and still needed time to develop. Richardson sucked in college, lol.