The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

19 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

You’d be surprised man. I already see it coming. “Raiders plan to use Skoronski as RT!” Fans: “Oh that’s not too bad then!”. *Facepalm*. That’s just Team PR cleaning things up. His career will be guard, even if they use him at RT his first season. 

First we have a few options at RT and guard is a bigger need. It just doesn't make sense and nobody falling for it.

The CB debate is interesting though. Gonzalez is my Top CB but are Banks, Gonzalez, Witherspoon, and Porter all far apart? No. They’re all close. So if we want a CB, I can see the argument of trading down for value and still nabbing one of the four. All four CB’s are heavily favored to go in the Top 19 picks though, so we can’t trade down too far. Even Banks is a heavy heavy favorite to go in the Top 19. 

Edited by BayRaider

3 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Also regarding cornerback, getting a top cornerback makes the whole defense better. Makes other assignments easier.

DL is obvious more impactful, but we can get a good DL in the 2nd round this draft is incredibly deep there.

If you begin to list the number of edge players that project to go late first and into day 2, it’s pretty wild:

McDonald, Ojualari, Keion White, Tuli, Ade Ade, Derrick Hall, FAU, Byron Young, Foskey….

Plus, there’s a few developmental prospects later on.

My preference is CB round 1 - either at 7 or a trade back - then Edge and linebacker in whichever order the next 2 picks.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, reddevil said:

If you begin to list the number of edge players that project to go late first and into day 2, it’s pretty wild:

McDonald, Ojualari, Keion White, Tuli, Ade Ade, Derrick Hall, FAU, Byron Young, Foskey….

Plus, there’s a few developmental prospects later on.

My preference is CB round 1 - either at 7 or a trade back - then Edge and linebacker in whichever order the next 2 picks.  

This. I think we can get a better Edge than CB in the 2nd round. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, raidr4life said:

Again the depth at Edge is strong and there are guys in the 2nd round who are going to end up better than some of the 1st round guys, so if I can get a potential all pro CB and still get a demon pass rusher in the 2nd that's the smartest route. Taking a pass rusher then being left with mediocre CB's that will need more time to develop is less appealing and the pass rusher who ever it is most likely will be platooning with Chandler Jones anyway.

To be fair, your first line can be said about every position, even CB. Smith, Turner, and Forbes could all be there w/ our second pick and end up being great. I would hardly call them "mediocre" but to each their own.

With a trade back, I wouldn't hate Skoronski. He's a technician with all pro potential. He's a culture fit as far as being humble, working hard and team first. 

It wouldn't be the worst pick, but it'd be underwhelming. If they can add more picks in the top 100 and secure a plug and play all pro potential OT/G in the process, then I can get behind that. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

With a trade back, I wouldn't hate Skoronski. He's a technician with all pro potential. He's a culture fit as far as being humble, working hard and team first. 

It wouldn't be the worst pick, but it'd be underwhelming. If they can add more picks in the top 100 and secure a plug and play all pro potential OT/G in the process, then I can get behind that. 

I’m fine with him at like 17…. Maybe 15 I can live with. 7 though? On a guard? Pro Bowl or not, not a great use of a Top 7 pick. 

The draft is a lot of hype. I've read most GMs place first round grade on 15-17 players. 

DT is really thin. You got a lot of guys being pushed up because of it. 

CB is deep. Half the guys taken round 1 will bust (hello Joey Porter Jr.). You are going to find potential starters later on in the draft. 

Edge is deep, but outside Anderson (who some question, I don't) they all have some issues. It's a lot of projection at that position. 

I'd have trouble passing on Carter at 7 if there. Given I can get a CB (maybe 2) in rounds 2-4. Same with edge. 

Pretty clear, DZ wants culture fits. Going to be looking for a lot team first guys that are known for their work ethic. Witherspoon, Gonzo, Banks all fit the mold. Skoronski, Nolan Smith, Zay Flowers, etc. all check a box. 

3 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Todd Mcshay reports we will select Skonronski 

This would be another huge reach at 7

If we passed on Stroud for that T-Rex Offensive Guard (Skoronski) I’d lose my mind.  I’m very confident, like people, that he’ll Be a really good G in the league, but there are quality G’s that can be had in round 4.  How much different is the “production” of a round 4 G versus what Skoronski will bring?  I don’t that it’s sizeable.  The highest id ever draft a guard is round 2 and id only do that if it’s a major need and there aren’t other positions of need with good value on the board.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

I’m fine with him at like 17…. Maybe 15 I can live with. 7 though? On a guard? Pro Bowl or not, not a great use of a Top 7 pick. 

I'll throw my hate in the he's going to be a solid OT in the NFL before you think fans will try to spin it if taken. 

He has LT feet and quickness. You win blocks with your feet. Between that and his smooth technique and study habits, I think he's a standout OT. 

Just now, big_palooka said:

I'll throw my hate in the he's going to be a solid OT in the NFL before you think fans will try to spin it if taken. 

He has LT feet and quickness. You win blocks with your feet. Between that and his smooth technique and study habits, I think he's a standout OT. 

What LT’s have been successful and pro bowlers with his arm length? Probably quite the short list. Usually under 33”you are a RT at best (and usually guard) and under 32” you are a guard for sure. Penn is a rare example of short arms succeeding at Tackle and he had 33.0 inch arms. Skor is like 32.1 inch… him succeeding at Tackle, even Right Tackle, goes against a lot of history. 

I’d be very happy with Stroud at 7. Although not as happy as most of the other posters who think Stroud is this very polished, can’t miss prospect and clear #2 QB to Young. The fact is Stroud is the one QB of the four that doesn’t have superstar potential. Top 10 QB, Pro Bowl QB potential, yes. He also is not as polished as people hype him up to be. He is primarily a first read guy just like Levis and Richardson. From a mental standpoint and progression standpoint, the three are closer than you think. Where Stroud outshines those two is his mechanics and footwork are light years ahead of those two. But Levis and Richardson arm strength and also mobility are light years ahead of Stroud. Just pick your flavor basically… Stroud starting to get less love in the draft process is not surprising. I still have him going #2 to the Texans, but him falling a bit wouldn’t be surprising. Also Stroud had one of the best WR cores ever assembled. And one of the best OL’s too. The other three had way worse cores, especially Richardson and Levis. 

With that said, I’m still picking Stroud at 7 without question (unless Richardson is on the board too) but Stroud is not this slam dunk polished prospect people on this subforum make him out to be. 

Edited by BayRaider