The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

CB is so deep it’s hard for me to be so excited if Witherspoon or Gonzalez were the pick. 

Would rather trade down to where you can get a Nolan Smith or Myles Murphy and then trade up for Forbes. 14 picks in 3 years is not a fluke. Playmakers make plays. 

15 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

CB is so deep it’s hard for me to be so excited if Witherspoon or Gonzalez were the pick. 

Would rather trade down to where you can get a Nolan Smith or Myles Murphy and then trade up for Forbes. 14 picks in 3 years is not a fluke. Playmakers make plays. 

Are you worried he's the same weight as a high schooler? He has to be the lightest CB almost ever at 166 lbs?

9 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Are you worried he's the same weight as a high schooler? He has to be the lightest CB almost ever at 166 lbs?

It’s a concern but nothing a NFL weight room and nutritionist can’t fix. He’s got a long frame so it wouldn’t be an issue I assume. 

His play play making skills are elite and maybe the best in this draft. Get guys that know how to get the ball. 

Edited by agarcia34

9 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Are you basing that off the reddit post? Because seems paper thin. 

I’d admit, I was Just posting the rumor. Not that I believe it but it wouldn’t be far fetched. It would be a 100% owner overrule 

3 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

It’s a concern but nothing a NFL weight room and nutritionist can’t fix. He’s got a long frame so it wouldn’t be an issue I assume. 

His play play making skills are elite and maybe the best in this draft. Get guys that know how to get the ball. 

I get what you are saying and I have said that myself about small prospects in the past. But it's not like he hasn't had elite weight rooms/nutritionists at Mississippi St. Certainly not NFL level but it's not like he's eating grilled cheese and ramen 24/7.

If he put on 20 lbs of muscle he's still be on the very small side at 185. I wonder how much of what makes him so good is how nimble he is and if he infact put on a massive amount of weight, if he'd be anything close to the same player. 

27 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

The draft is so unpredictable. There’s gonna be 2-3 players selected in the top 10 that nobody expected.

I’d like Stroud at 7. However, would be happy with Witherspoon or Gonzalez.

I have a feeling that it is Paris Johnson though.

4 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I get what you are saying and I have said that myself about small prospects in the past. But it's not like he hasn't had elite weight rooms/nutritionists at Mississippi St. Certainly not NFL level but it's not like he's eating grilled cheese and ramen 24/7.

If he put on 20 lbs of muscle he's still be on the very small side at 185. I wonder how much of what makes him so good is how nimble he is and if he infact put on a massive amount of weight, if he'd be anything close to the same player. 

In the NFL it will be different. More time to put in the work in the weigh room and he will get a personalized plan that’s made for him to add weight. 

If this was 10 years ago then I would be concerned but with how the game is played I don’t think it’s an issue. Played in a very physical SEC and held up well

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

In the NFL it will be different. More time to put in the work in the weigh room and he will get a personalized plan that’s made for him to add weight. 

If this was 10 years ago then I would be concerned but with how the game is played I don’t think it’s an issue. Played in a very physical SEC and held up well

For me he's almost exclusively a zone corner. I much prefer Clark Phillips in the 2nd round.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 101Raider said:

Is this because they both played for Clemson?  Or are you inferring that Murphy lacks athleticism (despite the 9.71 RAS and being Feldman’s #3 on the Freaks List)?

Based on pro day #’s?

when did he work out 

• Like 1

On 4/13/2023 at 6:40 PM, 101Raider said:

Won’t happen, but I’ve been thinking about a DT combo of Dexter and Mazi.  With their strength and explosion, theyd absolutely destroy the middle of the field. 

Or they’d both dramatically underwhelm.

Mazi, for all his undoubted athleticism and amazing speed doesn’t actually finish or create that much IMO, looks like he has little technique and Dexter plays high and his leverage is very questionable plus he does seem to underwhelm for someone who should be dominating. 

Now, Benton and Adebawore or Kancey 😃

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Mr Flip Flop

Changing opinions as more happens is not flip flopping. I liked Stroud as someone who could come in and start. That was before Jimmy G was signed. I think Stroud has a low ceiling and high floor. 

I also don't like the rumors (smoke or not) of his testing and him being difficult to coach at times. 

And I still maintain the QB class in 2024 is better.