The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

50 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

A lockdown #! CB is irrelevant?  Double teaming a WR on every play is a good thing?  

Having a CB who can shutdown a teams #1 WR is an invaluable asset and allows the Safety you want allocated to doubling that WR to roam the field and play the ball.  Having that safety be able to roam free will help in the run game and also put him in a position to play the ball while it's in the air and cause turnovers.  

Having a safety and CB matchup on one player because the CB can't do his job is never a good thing.  The lockdown CB that I am describing (Ramsey, Alexander, White etc.) are invaluable assets versus the pass, run and pass rushing aspects of football both directly and indirectly.  This is exactly why CB's are so highly coveted on draft day. 

How many lockdown CB's are there? Easier said than done.

1 hour ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

A lockdown #! CB is irrelevant?  Double teaming a WR on every play is a good thing?  

Having a CB who can shutdown a teams #1 WR is an invaluable asset and allows the Safety you want allocated to doubling that WR to roam the field and play the ball.  Having that safety be able to roam free will help in the run game and also put him in a position to play the ball while it's in the air and cause turnovers.  

Having a safety and CB matchup on one player because the CB can't do his job is never a good thing.  The lockdown CB that I am describing (Ramsey, Alexander, White etc.) are invaluable assets versus the pass, run and pass rushing aspects of football both directly and indirectly.  This is exactly why CB's are so highly coveted on draft day. 

Terrell already a top 10 corner too. 

7 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

How many lockdown CB's are there? Easier said than done.

Here are a few off the top of my head.  Ramsey, White, Alexander, Humphrey, Ward and Terrell.  Having a CB who can shut down an opposing teams #1 WR one on one is an invaluable asset. 

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

7 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

He absolutely is.  The guy is a stud. 

We drafted a worthless piece of garbage in Arnette.  Absolutely inexcusable by Grudock and shows how little they know about football.  Five 1st round picks in 2 years and all are trash minus Jacobs. 

Whoever turned in Gruden did a fantastic thing for this franchise as we finally have a real HC/GM combo. 

Edited by Frankie2Gunz
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Here are a few off the top of my head.  Ramsey, White, Alexander, Humphrey, Ward and Terrell.  Having a CB who can shut down an opposing teams #1 WR one on one is an invaluable asset. 

And they're super hard to find. You could literally say this about any premium position.

9 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

I would have been fine drafting Terrell but I was not pounding the table for him.  That year it seemed like 95% of the board was pounding the table for him and from what I remember the team wanted to draft him also.  Not saying he would have turned out the same as Arnette but CBs sometimes are trash or treasure depending on the team they go to.  If we did draft him he could have been just an average DB in our system.  Also possible he would have been better too.  Like @Frankie2Gunz said who ever turned Gruden in did us a huge favor.  I am not saying our new guys are going to be great because they still need to prove themselves but it would be hard to be worse then the last group.

3 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I would have been fine drafting Terrell but I was not pounding the table for him.  That year it seemed like 95% of the board was pounding the table for him and from what I remember the team wanted to draft him also.  Not saying he would have turned out the same as Arnette but CBs sometimes are trash or treasure depending on the team they go to.  If we did draft him he could have been just an average DB in our system.  Also possible he would have been better too.  Like @Frankie2Gunz said who ever turned Gruden in did us a huge favor.  I am not saying our new guys are going to be great because they still need to prove themselves but it would be hard to be worse then the last group.

I remember people really wanted Terell and Jaylon Johnson... I'm 90 percent confident Terrell was our guy and then we reached on a bum... Losing Gruden and MM was a blessing in disguise. 

6 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

I remember people really wanted Terell and Jaylon Johnson... I'm 90 percent confident Terrell was our guy and then we reached on a bum... Losing Gruden and MM was a blessing in disguise. 

I wanted to wait til 2nd and like Johnson in our system if he was there in the 2nd. Didn't like any CB's in the first by our pick...Hindsight T Wilfs and then trade up for WR Lamb. Got a CB round two probably Johnson but Arnette there would have been better than 19th

15 hours ago, G said:

I wanted to wait til 2nd and like Johnson in our system if he was there in the 2nd. Didn't like any CB's in the first by our pick...Hindsight T Wilfs and then trade up for WR Lamb. Got a CB round two probably Johnson but Arnette there would have been better than 19th

In hindsight I go with Wirfs and I still go with Jefferson at 19.  I did not want any CBs until the 2nd.  Looking back at the Mack trade it hurts giving back a #2 to Chi which is what I did not like the most from that trade.  Would have been the 43rd pick and there was some good talent still there including Johnson and Diggs.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

In hindsight I go with Wirfs and I still go with Jefferson at 19.  I did not want any CBs until the 2nd.  Looking back at the Mack trade it hurts giving back a #2 to Chi which is what I did not like the most from that trade.  Would have been the 43rd pick and there was some good talent still there including Johnson and Diggs.

imagine that. we nail both those picks so we have less holes, so we don't get scared to trade up. in 2021 we trade up for Parsons who was mocked to us in many drafts. imagine Wirfs, Jefferson, Parsons. we could have a dynasty with all those picks. crazy to think about in hindsight 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

imagine that. we nail both those picks so we have less holes, so we don't get scared to trade up. in 2021 we trade up for Parsons who was mocked to us in many drafts. imagine Wirfs, Jefferson, Parsons. we could have a dynasty with all those picks. crazy to think about in hindsight 

I was hoping Parson's would fall to our pick. Hitting picks totally alters the following drafts. Wirfs means no Leatherwood. 😃

• Like 1

On 7/23/2022 at 12:41 PM, G said:

I was hoping Parson's would fall to our pick. Hitting picks totally alters the following drafts. Wirfs means no Leatherwood. 😃

That would be nice but I am hoping the positive reports are accurate about Leatherwood.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bullslugg said:

My Hot Take, Leatherwood will be pro-bowler in next 3 years....Yah I said It!

Be ballsy and say at what position though....

Edited by Totty