49ers OTAs Thread

49erurtaza

13 minutes ago, StevenK said:

I agree, but I don’t feel I can rationalize with Kinlaw. The main concern I have with the whole situation is that he allowed Grant Cohn (or any reporter for that matter) rent free space in his head. He allowed his words to get those reactions out of Javon. Words. Grant doesn’t pay that man, he’s not one of his employees, nothing. He’s a reporter who is talking/writing about a player/team that he is required to write about or chose to. In the end, Javon decided to act the way he did, unprofessionally and personally disrespectfully about it. When you already have the spotlight on yourself for being a professional athlete, you can’t do things like this. Even if you are not an athlete, in your own work environment, if some random person comes up to me and says i’m trash. I don’t care! He doesn’t pay me! I need to prove to my coaches/boss that I can perform. 

I completely agree. However, I can rationalize the feeling a player would have struggling to stay healthy and living up to the hype a 1st round ick is expected to live up to, even when they may not have it in them to do so. His actions I can't rationalize. Mainly because he personalized it with his comments. I get people thinking that his career is personal, but its analysis and it is part of the spectrum he has to exist in to be a pro athlete. Talking heads are going to talk.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

When I first heard about this, I assumed it was during the OTAs yesterday but it was a live video? Kinda ballsy to invite someone who you know really doesn't like you.....

Pretty sure kinlaw asked to go on. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

When he throw out all negativity at some point you will hit on stuff. Hes wrong 90 percent of the time. But what context does he actually bring for fans? It's really pointless opinion. I can talk to my friends about opinions. He has no factual context to his articles or videos. 

I don't know that I'd say he's 90% wrong. He doesn't really throw out a lot of objective data sets. He writes opinion hit pieces on players and the front office. Most of the time when I see him spout actual data, he's usually not inaccurate though it often lacks context or nuance or is just a pure hot take. Example: 

Like, he's not wrong in what he's saying, but its also asinine. No team hits 100% of their draft picks. He's saying this just to rile people up. 

He does that time and again. He's also a hindsight warrior, which is something people have called him out on time and again (like, he'll give shanny and co crap for not taking Watson / Mahomes, but he hated that draft class if I remember right). 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

So Cohn calls Kinlaw unprofessional?! What a hypocrite! Coming from a guy who makes his money baiting/poking others calls the reaction he gets 'unprofessional'? Again, what irony!!

But that is okay for Cohn. Being a hypocrite does not hurt him. It's not all that dissimilar from politicians LOL 

So he can be a hypocrite and a troll, but people already expect him to be. When he hooks someone, he really digs it in there. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John232 said:

JK rightfully looks awful, but Grant doubling down on the vitriol is a show of true colors. PLENTY of writers rail on players and the team. Grant seems to be the only one who gets this sort of reaction. 

I don't know that the 49ers have plenty of writers who are there who do that. There are certainly writers like that across the league, you just don't see it much with the niners. There's a not to insubstantial subset of people who think that the 49ers beat writers are really just a big joke. 

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

But that is okay for Cohn. Being a hypocrite does not hurt him. It's not all that dissimilar from politicians LOL 

So he can be a hypocrite and a troll, but people already expect him to be. When he hooks someone, he really digs it in there. 

100%. Its understanding the schtick. We all know what to expect from him when you read or listen. It's no different than tuning into 49ers postgame and knowing the only guy thats going to really say anything of substance in Whitner. Being outraged over the same song and dance doesn't make sense. It's like JK saying nobody F's with Grant when he is in the chat and on the damn livestream. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't know that the 49ers have plenty of writers who are there who do that. There are certainly writers like that across the league, you just don't see it much with the niners. There's a not to insubstantial subset of people who think that the 49ers beat writers are really just a big joke. 

I actually agree with this sentiment. I like Barrows and Maiocco as writers, but neither of them openly criticize. TK on the other hand will go at heads and not worry about peoples feelings. Grant and TK arent that different other than time in the game and their overall delivery. Both guys are willing to expose hypocrisy and call people to the carpet. Tim just does it with less abrasiveness.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, clarkfn2284 said:

I actually agree with this sentiment. I like Barrows and Maiocco as writers, but neither of them openly criticize. TK on the other hand will go at heads and not worry about peoples feelings. Grant and TK arent that different other than time in the game and their overall delivery. Both guys are willing to expose hypocrisy and call people to the carpet. Tim just does it with less abrasiveness.

Good call on Tim. Forgot about him, but yeah, he'd fall into that group. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Forge said:

Im blocked from Tim who I use to like his takes. But since he blocked me due to a Mac Jones question I have I forget he's alive. Lol

• Like 2

19 hours ago, P_locniners said:

I just watched Cohns video, that is hilarious and Kinlaw is probably saying what all the NINERS players, and many fans, really think of Cohn

….but, that it was a bit immature and he needs to just shut up and prove Cohn wrong. Cohns loves that stuff and it validates him, as sad as that may seem.

funny, but he shouldn’t have done it

If Grant can make the story about himself, he's happy. He's not a journalist. He doesn't want to write/report a story. He wants to create the story. He succeeded.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Forge said:

i was primarily thinking of Tim. Ann Killion, Ray Ratto and Skip when he was with the Mercury news. all of them’ were railing on 49ers, especially during jed york years. and when i say rail, it’s done in that SF smarmy way. 

grant and lowell are just the lowest of the low. it’s actually amazing to watch the apple call, and rot not far from the tree.

id also throw some big name podcasters, who though i find annoying, are at least genuine and professional.

Edited by John232