Tampa Bay signs Akiem Hicks (1 yr/$10M)

NYRaider

great move. going need him to stay healthy to make this pass rush go. Should see a ton of 1 on 1 work with Vea on the field. 

Suh will be missed. His veteran presence, week to week prep, and how he takes care of his body is one of a kind. He played injured and was still a factor. He has nothing left in the tank as a pass rusher but still is someone you dont wanna run at. Only successful run plays team got at running at Suh were those zone runs where his lateral quickness got exposed.

Damn, I guess that means Suh is out but it is a huge need position for the team.  Could be a great signing if Hicks can stay healthy, the dude looks like a straight up Hall of Famer against the Vikings almost yearly.  

Curious though is he better than Suh?  Not so sure, he is only a little young and clearly will not play the Minnesota Vikings every game.  

Good signing. I can get the health concerns, but at this stage in their careers, Hicks is definitely better than Suh.

Though, this adds the Bucs to the list of teams I really look forward to seeing how they navigate the cap last year. This either uses the remainder of their cap space, or this adds more void years to what they already have next year. Will be interesting to see what moves they make next year.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Damn, I guess that means Suh is out but it is a huge need position for the team.  Could be a great signing if Hicks can stay healthy, the dude looks like a straight up Hall of Famer against the Vikings almost yearly.  

Curious though is he better than Suh?  Not so sure, he is only a little young and clearly will not play the Minnesota Vikings every game.  

Honestly, you shouldn't be counting on either Suh or Hicks to be playing all 3 downs at this point. Both are on the wrong side of 30 and Suh saw his snaps and effectiveness decrease drastically down the stretch run. His 6 sacks last year are very misleading if anyone thinks they're getting that level of pash rush production from him going forward. 

Both are rotational guys at this point, which is fine considering we drafted Logan Hall to develop.

I think the Bus went with Hicks over Suh because of the money. We're up against the cap and still want to have Gronk in the fold. Hicks deal is 'up to 10 million' and most likely very incentive laden, whereas Suh has been searching for that guaranteed deal in the 8-10 million range from reports. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Honestly, you shouldn't be counting on either Suh or Hicks to be playing all 3 downs at this point. Both are on the wrong side of 30 and Suh saw his snaps and effectiveness decrease drastically down the stretch run. His 6 sacks last year are very misleading if anyone thinks they're getting that level of pash rush production from him going forward. 

Both are rotational guys at this point, which is fine considering we drafted Logan Hall to develop.

I think the Bus went with Hicks over Suh because of the money. We're up against the cap and still want to have Gronk in the fold. Hicks deal is 'up to 10 million' and most likely very incentive laden, whereas Suh has been searching for that guaranteed deal in the 8-10 million range from reports. 

I forgot they drafted Logan Hall, he could be a steal for them and could be an outstanding pro but no surprise they drafted him that 3/4 DE spot is arguably one of the biggest needs on the roster going into the draft.  Hall is tough as can be and can really hold his own on the line and he should do great.  

With Gronk and Howard potentially both gone TE could be a massive issue, as well as OLB with JPP out.  They drafted Tyron the year before and have Anthony Nelson who has some ability opposite Barrett.  Still impressive they kept all three of those corners though that is for sure.  Bunting and Dean are free agents in 2023 so I assume they lose them then, and Whitehead out will hurt but Logan Ryan is decent enough, and Mike Edwards but he is a free agent in 2023 as well.  

Is kind of surprising they drafted Rachaad White and resigned Fournette, White could have been a much cheaper version of Fournette and could have production if given opportunities and surprised Fournette got 3 years but he is solid when healthy.  

Shoot they got Zyon McCollum in the draft also, that dude could be a flat out super star and should have probably been a 2nd round pick based on his size and how well he athletically worked out.  Hell who needs Dean or Bunting with him, he could be great.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:
4 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

He's overrated because he might get injured

Did I say he was overrated?

Sometimes I forget how long some of us have been on this sight to remember over a decade’s worth of an inside joke. :) 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

pretty heavily implied.

Not really.   He didnt really critique his football skills.   Just stated that Suh has been more reliable in recent years.

The whole "he's overrated because he MIGHT get injured' joke doesnt really work when its about a player who is legitmately out with injury pretty often.

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Wanted Hicks but I'll take Suh. Will be a decent rotational DL even at 35.

i love Suh, was an anchor and leader on the DL since he got to Tampa

last year was his least effective year with the Bucs and i believe age had something to do with it but he did have an injury he said he played through, if he's actually healthy now he could be effective once again

with that said the older you are the harder it is to recover from injuries, so i'll bank on Hicks being better value and more effective since he is 3 years younger