Jets 2022 OTAs and Training Camp

Bobby816

22 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Point is the Jets got bashed for giving up 2 3rds and the players selected with those picks have been cut after just 1 year. 

Darrisaw does not matter in the equation. 

Very true, but Darrisaw does matter in the equation, because it makes it basically a wash.  If both are capable starters on the OL, and one again plays a far harder position than the other...  That being said, it would still be on the plus side for the Vikings if Mond and Wyatt Davis made it on the practice squad, instead Mond goes to Cleveland on their roster and Wyatt Davis did not make the practice squad so there is that.  

Will see who ends up the better player between Vera-Tucker and Darrisaw.  

32 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

The whole Mims thing is interesting

We clearly value his skill-level, and if I am not mistaken, can't Corey easily be cut after this year? Mims could easily be his long-term direct replacement on an affordable deal

Yes and maybe to answer your questions.  Can Davis be cut after this year with little cap hit, yes.  Is Mims the guy to fill his shoes, unlikely, because that will fall to Wilson next year if I had to guess.  Mims can still stick around as the 4th WR and get more snaps if he's earned it otherwise we likely will be looking at a mid rounder to fill the WR4 role.  I think next year is Mims last year of his deal so he'll be under contract still.

I just don't see a future for Mims here.  Plus you can find mid round WR's all day long to fill that WR4 spot.  Mims wants a top 3 spot and since he's not a slot guy Berrios is safe and since he's not better then Moore or Wilson it's unlikely he gets what he wants.  A trade makes the most sense or continue to keep him for good depth until he's a FA.

Starting to see some film on preseason Tony Adams pop up and you can see why they like him.  Coverage wasn't a liability for a SS and big hitter like him which it can be for those guys.  He also did a great job of doing his job by first covering his gaps and then attacking the ball carrier.  Impressive for a rookie UDFA.

15 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Starting to see some film on preseason Tony Adams pop up and you can see why they like him.  Coverage wasn't a liability for a SS and big hitter like him which it can be for those guys.  He also did a great job of doing his job by first covering his gaps and then attacking the ball carrier.  Impressive for a rookie UDFA.

Bring in athletes with brains and teach them how to play football. Bellichick has made a career of it. I love that we prioritize RAS's and players that love the game and not just love what the game brings to them, like Saleh says. Fans are impatient and I get it, this has been the worst era in Jets football, but if Bowles got 4 years...they need to let these guys build their team. It took Shannahan 3 years in SF. Saleh and JD had to start from scratch. Last years team had little talent. Even if this year is only a 6-11 or 7-10 season but we are so close in most loses...we have to stay the course. We are getting closer. We are young still with a few very good veterans mixed in. Still going to have growing pains. 

3 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Bring in athletes with brains and teach them how to play football. Bellichick has made a career of it. I love that we prioritize RAS's and players that love the game and not just love what the game brings to them, like Saleh says. Fans are impatient and I get it, this has been the worst era in Jets football, but if Bowles got 4 years...they need to let these guys build their team. It took Shannahan 3 years in SF. Saleh and JD had to start from scratch. Last years team had little talent. Even if this year is only a 6-11 or 7-10 season but we are so close in most loses...we have to stay the course. We are getting closer. We are young still with a few very good veterans mixed in. Still going to have growing pains. 

Check out some of the clips on the JetsXfactor twitter.  You can almost see him processing the game by holding outside contain on a few of the running plays and once he knows the RB is staying inside then he attacks.  Pretty comfortable in space and in zone coverage.  Looks like a guy wise beyond his years unlike Davis who would just attack the ball carrier and potentially get bounced on for a big outside run.  Sure maybe the ball carrier gets another 3-4 yards by having to hesitate but it eliminates the 20 yard run from happening because he played his assignment properly by holding outside contain first. 

This season is a success if we have a franchise QB and we play meaningful games in DEC.

4 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Check out some of the clips on the JetsXfactor twitter.  You can almost see him processing the game by holding outside contain on a few of the running plays and once he knows the RB is staying inside then he attacks.  Pretty comfortable in space and in zone coverage.  Looks like a guy wise beyond his years unlike Davis who would just attack the ball carrier and potentially get bounced on for a big outside run.  Sure maybe the ball carrier gets another 3-4 yards by having to hesitate but it eliminates the 20 yard run from happening because he played his assignment properly by holding outside contain first. 

This season is a success if we have a franchise QB and we play meaningful games in DEC.

100%. Love JetsXfactor. Easiest 5 bones a month haha. Both Blewitt and Nania do a great job. Few other guys I follwo from their as well. Great content and for the analytics guys they make the statistics make sense. You have to be an athlete to play FS in this scheme so maybe he is the guy? Joyner does nothing for me and we already have a 5'10 SS and 5'8 RCB. Would prefer someone with more length at FS. Davis just isn't it. I am glad he works hard and is a high character guy but I get some serious Eric Smith vibes, in fact I think Eric Smith was a better player he just didn't have the athletic ability.

I agree with your take on the season. I do still think it could be a success if we are just playing the meaningful games in December. Obviously we want Zach to be the guy and for once not have to worry about the QB position, but if he doesn't sperate himself, we should look to trade for a veteran who can start and draft someone or sign someone who needs to sit first. If Zach doesn't work then we have to just acknowledge that taking a high QB and starting him day 1 just will not work here. Sanchez, Geno, Sam and now Zach? We can't keep repeating this. The team can't suffer in development anymore if the QB doesn't have it. Zach needs at least needs a similar 2nd year as Sam had (who had next to nothing to work with compared to this team) or we need to re-evaluate. I am a believer in Wilson. Time to show up though. 

2 hours ago, Bianconero said:

The whole Mims thing is interesting

We clearly value his skill-level, and if I am not mistaken, can't Corey easily be cut after this year? Mims could easily be his long-term direct replacement on an affordable deal

Players don’t look years in advance. He’s looking at it as he’s 5th or 6th on the depth chart and snaps will come few and far between. Can’t bank on a teammate who you’re friends with to hopefully get injured like Davis to get more snaps.

Also much like Mosley… not sure why so many want to be done with Davis. He was on pace for a 1k 10TD season before getting injured. Yes his health is a concern. But he still is in his prime. And relatively to what a WR with his skill set costs… there’s no reason to cut him. Especially for a guy like Mims.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

100%. Love JetsXfactor. Easiest 5 bones a month haha. Both Blewitt and Nania do a great job. Few other guys I follwo from their as well. Great content and for the analytics guys they make the statistics make sense. You have to be an athlete to play FS in this scheme so maybe he is the guy? Joyner does nothing for me and we already have a 5'10 SS and 5'8 RCB. Would prefer someone with more length at FS. Davis just isn't it. I am glad he works hard and is a high character guy but I get some serious Eric Smith vibes, in fact I think Eric Smith was a better player he just didn't have the athletic ability.

I agree with your take on the season. I do still think it could be a success if we are just playing the meaningful games in December. Obviously we want Zach to be the guy and for once not have to worry about the QB position, but if he doesn't sperate himself, we should look to trade for a veteran who can start and draft someone or sign someone who needs to sit first. If Zach doesn't work then we have to just acknowledge that taking a high QB and starting him day 1 just will not work here. Sanchez, Geno, Sam and now Zach? We can't keep repeating this. The team can't suffer in development anymore if the QB doesn't have it. Zach needs at least needs a similar 2nd year as Sam had (who had next to nothing to work with compared to this team) or we need to re-evaluate. I am a believer in Wilson. Time to show up though. 

Yeah those guys give great insight.

I really hope we don't have to go the vet route but if ZW shows no improvement then certainly something worthy of a discussion.  I'd first and foremost look into going all in for Lamar even though that seems like a long shot.  It would take a Watson like package to get him and pay him but we'd be legit with him.   I guess the next crop of vets who could move ala Ryan and Wilson would be like A-Rod, Tanny, Jimmy G, or Cousins.

Not sure how good this team would be with Jimmy G or Tanny at QB but probably could compete for a playoff spot just not be really true contenders.

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

I'd first and foremost look into going all in for Lamar even though that seems like a long shot.  It would take a Watson like package to get him and pay him but we'd be legit with him.

Lets see, Lamar in 2021 was 22 in completion %, 26 in TD and 23 in QB rating and 17 in QBR.  As a runner, there is none better.  But would you really want to pay over $46M per year for a mediocre passer who will no doubt get injured as a runner if he played for the Jets?

9 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Very true, but Darrisaw does matter in the equation, because it makes it basically a wash.  If both are capable starters on the OL, and one again plays a far harder position than the other...  That being said, it would still be on the plus side for the Vikings if Mond and Wyatt Davis made it on the practice squad, instead Mond goes to Cleveland on their roster and Wyatt Davis did not make the practice squad so there is that.  

Will see who ends up the better player between Vera-Tucker and Darrisaw.  

Darrisaw does not matter, we were never picking him. AVT was not making it to us, we got our guy, the 3rds are one step away from being out of the league. We won our portion of the deal, the Vikings fired the guys who made that move. 

For the people that want to get ride of corey Davis my question is why? He is at least a WR2/3 on any NFL team and a WR 1 on some. He has speed, hands and seems to get some seperation too. He is also not that old and hitting his prime. This is a guy you should resign not cut in my book. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, xrade said:

Lets see, Lamar in 2021 was 22 in completion %, 26 in TD and 23 in QB rating and 17 in QBR.  As a runner, there is none better.  But would you really want to pay over $46M per year for a mediocre passer who will no doubt get injured as a runner if he played for the Jets?

Yes I would