The Jalen Hurts Thread

TheRealMcCoy

Call your shot....  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Jalen Hurts will be a top ___ QB in 2022?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/26/2022 at 06:59 AM

4 hours ago, Danger said:

Kyler Murray - Still don't know what to make of him. The Mighty Midget has talent but he's pretty hit or miss.

Don't care how talented he is, he can't lead other grown men. Just like Wentz/Zach Wilson. He's better than both of them, but you know his teammates wanna give an Alshonymous report to Josina Anderson about how crappy a person he is.

3 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

Revisiting that, it’s crazy how much more talent the AFC has at QB. Almost every team you’d have to take at least a short thought before deciding. Mostly it’s still Jalen. But the NFC there’s damn near nothing. Patty, Allen, Herbert, Burrows…et al. 

I'm taking Mahomes/Allen/Burrow/Herbert over Hurts if I'm building a franchise from scratch, and as much as that is going to upset Nabbs, it still feels weird to say Hurts is top 5, even if it's #5 and not #3 or #2, after having him at like #25 (purely as a passer) before the start of the season. Hurts has been great, but I just personally prefer the guy who can maybe throw for 5K yards and 40+ passing TD's. I think it's more sustainable over 5+ seasons than the QB who depends on his running ability to make defenses hesitant. If Mahomes bangs his knee and loses 50% of his burst, the offense can still function as it normally would, provided Pat can still plant and throw. If Hurts bangs his knee, loses half his burst, but can still plant and throw- we'd have to ditch 60% of our playbook.

I'd like to see what Herbert could do with our OL, coaches, and our healthy WR's + Goedert. I'd like to see the scheme Sirianni and company come up with using a more traditional pocket QB, albeit one who can still run. Not saying it would be better, just saying it would be interesting to see the differences. Maybe Nick needed a QB like Hurts/The RPO to reach his potential as a HC? Maybe Herbert would look even better with Nick? I dunno.

Edited by Jeezla

4 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

I'm taking Mahomes/Allen/Burrow/Herbert over Hurts if I'm building a franchise from scratch, and as much as that is going to upset Nabbs, it still feels weird to say Hurts is top 5, even if it's #5 and not #3 or #2,

I've got no problem whatsoever with that list nor ranking.  Any FQB in or around the top 5 is a good start. It's like having Brady, Manning,  Rodgers, Brees and complaining your Franchise is stuck with Ben? Wilson? Ryan?  

I'm Good! 

26 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

I'm taking Mahomes/Allen/Burrow/Herbert over Hurts if I'm building a franchise from scratch, and as much as that is going to upset Nabbs, it still feels weird to say Hurts is top 5, even if it's #5 and not #3 or #2, after having him at like #25 (purely as a passer) before the start of the season. Hurts has been great, but I just personally prefer the guy who can maybe throw for 5K yards and 40+ passing TD's. I think it's more sustainable over 5+ seasons than the QB who depends on his running ability to make defenses hesitant. If Mahomes bangs his knee and loses 50% of his burst, the offense can still function as it normally would, provided Pat can still plant and throw. If Hurts bangs his knee, loses half his burst, but can still plant and throw- we'd have to ditch 60% of our playbook.

I'd like to see what Herbert could do with our OL, coaches, and our healthy WR's + Goedert. I'd like to see the scheme Sirianni and company come up with using a more traditional pocket QB, albeit one who can still run. Not saying it would be better, just saying it would be interesting to see the differences. Maybe Nick needed a QB like Hurts/The RPO to reach his potential as a HC? Maybe Herbert would look even better with Nick? I dunno.

On that note. Could definitely see Steichen going back to the Chargers after this year.

4 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

I've got no problem whatsoever with that list nor ranking.  Any FQB in or around the top 5 is a good start. It's like having Brady, Manning,  Rodgers, Brees and complaining your Franchise is stuck with Ben? Wilson? Ryan?  

I'm Good! 

Which QB would you draft if you were the GM of an NFL franchise, and your team had the #2 pick?
You are building a team totally from scratch. Every active player is available to start. You don't even have coaches or a scheme yet.
Mahomes goes #1. That same team also signs Sirianni to be their HC and Steichen to be their OC.
Who does Nabbs draft to be his franchise QB at #2 overall? Who does Nabbs sign to be their HC/OC?

1 hour ago, Jeezla said:

Completely agree. Partially the reason why I don’t want to really give in to the notion that Hurts is indeed a 15 year franchise QB. The NFL is all about countering the counter. Hurts has done it so far but we all know why defenses struggle against us (this year) is because they have to pick a poison.  You plan on taking away something from Hurts but he murders you the other way. So  far, so good. Nick and Shane have been great giving themselves options either way in their game planning. Hurts has executed beautifully. Is it sustainable? We’ll see. Eventually every running QB has to leave that part of his game behind. Whether it’s age or health or scheme. It’s going to catch up to him. He just has to really hone in on his passing and accuracy to be in that top 3 realm every year. But no complainants thus far. He’s exceeded, already, what I thought he was capable of. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeezla said:

Which QB would you draft if you were the GM of an NFL franchise, and your team had the #2 pick?
You are building a team totally from scratch. Every active player is available to start. You don't even have coaches or a scheme yet.
Mahomes goes #1. That same team also signs Sirianni to be their HC and Steichen to be their OC.
Who does Nabbs draft to be his franchise QB at #2 overall? Who does Nabbs sign to be their HC/OC?

I'm assuming multiple HC isn't allowed?

Josh Allen

Brian Daboll , Frank Reich

Andy Reid, Disciple  

Sean McVay,  Disciple

Edited by Nabbs4u

1 hour ago, Jroc04 said:

Completely agree. Partially the reason why I don’t want to really give in to the notion that Hurts is indeed a 15 year franchise QB. The NFL is all about countering the counter. Hurts has done it so far but we all know why defenses struggle against us (this year) is because they have to pick a poison.  You plan on taking away something from Hurts but he murders you the other way. So  far, so good. Nick and Shane have been great giving themselves options either way in their game planning. Hurts has executed beautifully. Is it sustainable? We’ll see. Eventually every running QB has to leave that part of his game behind. Whether it’s age or health or scheme. It’s going to catch up to him. He just has to really hone in on his passing and accuracy to be in that top 3 realm every year. But no complainants thus far. He’s exceeded, already, what I thought he was capable of. 

Agree with mostly everything said here.

That said, given the jump Hurts had from last year to this year, I'm done trying to predict his ceiling. For all we know next year he's going to come out with a bionic arm and be able to throw bombs endzone to endzone.

1 hour ago, Daimonas said:

Agree with mostly everything said here.

That said, given the jump Hurts had from last year to this year, I'm done trying to predict his ceiling. For all we know next year he's going to come out with a bionic arm and be able to throw bombs endzone to endzone.

lol I hear you. Same thing for me. I mean, we know he’s a bit limited. His arm is only going to be so good. He is making up for it though. Much like a Drew Brees. I’m not saying he needs to be Drew Brees accurate but it’s going to take that amount of work and practice to get there. Hurts is making throws I was sure he couldn’t do last year. I never questioned his motivation or his work ethic but damn has he put the effort in. That stuff just doesn’t go away. That’s ingrained. But he continues to impress. The back shoulders, the anticipation throws, tight windows…he’s really showcasing it all. Just needs to repeat it and continue that grind. 

7 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

My thoughts on Hurts exactly. Why I’m not thrilled with reality that we have to give him a mega deal this offseason* after just 1 year where he looked like a stud (granted, he did improve each year which is super promising). We of all fanbases know that a great QB season doesn’t equate to a great QB (10 Vick, 13 Foles, 17 Wentz). Just got to be optimistic that he’s the real deal long term until he gives us a reason not to be.

*of course that is absolutely the right move, arguably the ONLY move

1 hour ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

*of course that is absolutely the right move, arguably the ONLY move

He doesn't have to be extended after this season. They could easily go the Kirk, Dak and Lamar route. But like each of those QB it will cost the Organization even more money down the line if they don't extend him before Lamar, Joe and say Herbert.

Just have to hope it's not a mirage like Carson Wentz. Which let's be real We already know Jalen is a leader of Men, a QB players actually want to play with/for. Has shown 10x the commitment to excel. However tgat still doesn't mean he's worth any of the ridiculous contracts being handed out these days to FQB. 

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

He doesn't have to be extended after this season. They could easily go the Kirk, Dak and Lamar route. But like each of those QB it will cost the Organization even more money down the line if they don't extend him before Lamar, Joe and say Herbert.

Just have to hope it's not a mirage like Carson Wentz. Which let's be real We already know Jalen is a leader of Men, a QB players actually want to play with/for. Has shown 10x the commitment to excel. However tgat still doesn't mean he's worth any of the ridiculous contracts being handed out these days to FQB. 

Honestly I'm not super worried about that. The main reason Hurts looks so good right now is because his fundamentals are insanely good right now. That doesn't go away usually

2 minutes ago, Daimonas said:

Honestly I'm not super worried about that. The main reason Hurts looks so good right now is because his fundamentals are insanely good right now. That doesn't go away usually

I've been all in, don't have to sell me. Just pointing out he doesn't "technically" have to be extended for 2 more years.

Howie being Howue will try and get it done early before yearly salaries average 55-60M.

12 hours ago, Daimonas said:

Yeah and his ball placement has been perfect the last few weeks. There is nothing a defense can do to stop a perfectly thrown pass.