Where does Kevin Durant go?

brownie man

On 7/29/2022 at 11:48 AM, NYRaider said:

The Nets would just have to convince Turner to resign with them though and considering they wanted nothing to do with Ayton, I'm not sure that they'll prioritize paying a center in a major rebuild over additional draft capital / cap flexibility. 

You guys will have 3 picks over the next four years: LAL/NOP in 2023, your own pick in 2024/2025 (if NOP defers), and your own pick in 2026. So in reality you just don't have a pick in either 2024 or 2025 and still always have the option to trade AD to recoup picks in a scenario where LeBron decides to sign elsewhere next summer. 

I read that the 4th was an important date for him?

I think the most ideal/storybook ending for LeBron (over the next 3 years) would be breaking Kareem's record as a member of the Lakers then going back to Cleveland to chase one more title with Garland/Mobley and finally signing with the team that drafts his son so he can play the final year of his career with him.

Myles Turner is going to go wherever they pay him the most.  If that's Brooklyn, so be it.  And I think Brooklyn's disinterest in Ayton had to do with the fact that he was coming with a max FA contract AND there's some concern about how good he is when he's playing alongside CP3.  I'm not sure Ayton is the guy to be a franchise guy.  He might be a #2 if you pair him with the right guard/wing, but he seems like a high-end #3 on a championship team and I'm not paying a max contract for a 3rd option.

Again, it's not the lack of picks available.  It's the lack of picks to utilize to improve the roster.  Right now, the Lakers have a couple of pick swaps ('24/'25 and '28) and two FRPs ('27 and '29) that are eligible to be traded.  They can trade the 2024 or 2025 pick after the draft, but if they want to improve the roster for the upcoming season they only have those four picks to trade.  But again, if you're talking about sending the '27 and '29 FRPs unprotected and LeBron James still walks as a FA, then you've given your entire draft capital away. 

I don't recall the 4th being an important date.  If he had another year on his deal, I think there is a deadline but when it's the last year of the deal I think they're eligible to be extended until their contracts expire.

Honestly, I don't see LeBron leaving for anything other than to play with Bronny.  I legitimately do think he's very happy in Los Angeles, and I think there's a strong enough relationship between he, Jeanie, and Rob.

On 7/30/2022 at 2:27 PM, CWood21 said:

Honestly, I don't see LeBron leaving for anything other than to play with Bronny.  I legitimately do think he's very happy in Los Angeles, and I think there's a strong enough relationship between he, Jeanie, and Rob.

I think this year will determine a lot.  I think he wants to be there but if they miss the playoffs/don't make some kind of run, why would he stay?  Or they will have to blow it up and move AD and throw something else together for a year or two.  Obviously they will have some room with Russ coming off the books but I don't see Lebron choosing to stay if the outlook is pointless.  That being said the Lakers typically do what they have to do, but the point being they have to be more competitive on paper than they are now for him to stay IMO. 

On 7/30/2022 at 2:27 PM, CWood21 said:

I question the bolded part. I think he does in fact love LA an wants to break Kareem's record in a Lakers jersey for visuals, but Jeanie/Rob pulled back on him after last season and told him to sleep in the Russ bed he made. Which you could argue is fair, but LeBron can hold that extension over them and just finish out next season.

Then they're left with 50 games of AD a season and the one draft pick Pelinka refuses to give up.

On 7/30/2022 at 11:27 AM, CWood21 said:

The Cavaliers have constructed their roster to fit around him and will have the cap space to sign him. There's a very good chance that Garland/Mobley give him a better chance to compete then any roster the Lakers can put together.

• 2 weeks later...

Memphis is apparently in the midst now according to Shams.

Two deals I would offer below.

1. JJJ centered offer:

Memphis receives: Kevin Durant

Brooklyn receives: Jaren Jackson, Jr., Dillon Brooks, Ziaire Williams, 2023 Memphis 1st Round Pick, 2024 Memphis or Golden State 1st Round Pick (whichever is better), 2025 Memphis 1st Round Pick, 2027 1st Round Pick Swap

PG: Ja Morant / Tyus Jones / Kennedy Chandler
SG: Desmond Bane / John Konchar / Danny Green
SF: Kevin Durant / Jake LaRavia / David Roddy
PF: Brandon Clarke / Santi Aldama
C : Steven Adams / Xavier Tillman

2. Youth and cap relief centered offer:

Memphis receives: Kevin Durant

Brooklyn receives: Steven Adams, Danny Green, Ziaire Williams, Jake LaRavia, David Roddy, 2023 Memphis 1st Round Pick, 2024 Memphis or Golden State 1st Round Pick (whichever is better), 2025 Memphis 1st Round Pick, 2027 1st Round Pick swap

PG: Ja Morant / Tyus Jones / Kennedy Chandler
SG: Desmond Bane / John Konchar
SF: Kevin Durant / Dillon Brooks
PF: Jaren Jackson, Jr. / Brandon Clarke
C : Xavier Tillman / Santi Aldama

I know Brooklyn wants every asset available and yada yada, but I'm not putting Bane on the table. If they want more than either of these offers then I'd drop out. I might consider another draft pick or Brandon Clarke in the second offer instead of 1 of the rookies, but no more players on top of what's offered.  If it's not enough then I tip my cap at them getting a better offer elsewhere.
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, indifference said:

At first I was like "Only 1 draft pick?!?", but then I remembered they already traded 2 and a swap for Murray.

I'd put Murray on the table if I were Atlanta.

Atlanta receives: Kevin Durant

Brooklyn receives: John Collins, Dejounte Murray, AJ Griffin, Jalen Johnson, 2028 1st Round Pick Swap, 2029 Atlanta 1st Round Pick

PG: Trae Young / Aaron Holiday
SG: Justin Holiday / Bogdan Bogdanovic
SF: Kevin Durant / Moe Harkless
PF: DeAndre Hunter / Onyeka Okongwu
C Clint Capela / Frank Kaminsky

Good, the right decision by all parties. The Nets will be one of the top contenders next season as long as Ben returns healthy. There is no need for KD to go elsewhere.

I said it from day one that the Nets needed to stay strong and not panic from the trade request as KD has very little leverage. He was not going to pull a Harden and mail it in. 

I forgot who it was but someone said when has someone requested a trade and not been traded? Well, Kobe Bryant was one and he was in a similar situation as KD in that he was not going to be a free agent for a while and in another sport, Deebo Samuel this offseason. Just because a superstar requests a trade does not mean the team needs to trade that player. 

19 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Good, the right decision by all parties. The Nets will be one of the top contenders next season as long as Ben returns healthy. There is no need for KD to go elsewhere.

I said it from day one that the Nets needed to stay strong and not panic from the trade request as KD has very little leverage. He was not going to pull a Harden and mail it in. 

I forgot who it was but someone said when has someone requested a trade and not been traded? Well, Kobe Bryant was one and he was in a similar situation as KD in that he was not going to be a free agent for a while and in another sport, Deebo Samuel this offseason. Just because a superstar requests a trade does not mean the team needs to trade that player. 

Good. No more of this nonsense. Well played by Brooklyn and glad to see Durant didn't get his way by whining.

• Like 1