Will 2 teams from the same conference make the playoffs ???

Iamcanadian

9 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Wisconsin if they win the Big 10, otherwise, Big 10 champion vs Pac 10 Champion for final spot. In all likelihood, the Big 10 champion will get in.

I don't think there's any variation that sees a Pac-12 team make the playoffs.  They're not making the playoffs over Ohio State, and I'd venture to guess Alabama gets in over the Pac-12 champ as well.  It's Clemson/Miami and Georgia/Auburn as two guaranteed spots.  The third one is Oklahoma's to lose.  If Oklahoma loses, that means Alabama is almost assured a spot in the playoffs.  That last spot likely goes to the Big 10 champ.  Ohio State > USC especially since Washington isn't in the Pac-12 conference championship.

I really doubt that they put 2 SEC teams in as the situation last year was very weird.  Penn State ended up having 2 losses, including a really bad loss to Pitt and their only good win was against Ohio State IIRC, they had no scheduling whatsoever to boost their resume.  This year the argument would Ohio State vs Alabama where Alabama even with 1 loss, doesn't really have any signature wins to boost their resume, the best win is a Miss State team that is massively overranked while although Ohio State has 2 losses, one of which is horrible, they have a lot better wins than Alabama.  Although the loss to Iowa is inexcusable, there is a possibility of it being looked at as a trap game after a very tough hard fought game against Penn State where both teams dropped games against opponents they would likely beat on any other day besides the week after their match.

That being said, I haven't felt like Ohio State was worthy of the playoffs this year, I haven't liked what I've seen, but I really don't want to see 2 teams from a conference get in either unless their resumes are about as ridiculous as could be.

10 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

My prediction:

OSU beats Wiscy
Clemson beats Miami
OU beats TCU

1. Clemson
2. OU
3. Georgia/Auburn winner
4. Bama

So yes, I think we get two SEC teams in this year's playoffs. Bama is going to sit and get rested for their playoff game while others are out there earning it. 

This is how I see it shaking out if Wisconsin loses.

People mention Alabama not having a great win, and a lackluster schedule, and it's true. But losses matter too. And OSU has two losses, one being a blowout to an unranked Iowa. Which is the worst of any remaining contender.

Last year, the committee blew off an 8 game win streak including two top 6 wins, a conference championship, and a head-to-head advantage for Penn State in favor of Ohio State because PSU had lost two games, including a blowout loss on the road to a ranked Michigan by week 4. 

So I see no way they could turnaround and justify leaving out a one loss 'Bama, whose only loss is on the road to a top 4 team, in favor of a 2 loss team with a blowout loss to an unranked Iowa in November. 

Yeah, 'Bama's schedule turned out to be pretty uninspiring. But at least FSU had Francois when they played. And losses matter too. Which is why I just can't see OSU getting in over a one-loss Alabama.

Wisconsin isn’t a top 4 team, but it would really just simplify everything and have the most objective appearance if they did beat OSU this week. 

Regardless the Bama/OSU debate, I have Clemson as the one seed knocking off either team round 1. Then I have OU taking out Auburn/UGA and then Clemson. Similar if Wisky makes it. They’d probably be the 3 and lose to OU as the 2-seed.

This isn't the old college playoff system. Each conference has a vote on who gets in and for the Big 12, the Big 10 and the Pac 10 to vote in a team that does not even make their conference playoffs over their champions is highly unlikely. add in that choosing the Big 10 means mucho $$$$'s in added revenue for each of the power 5 conferences and you have 2 things not in Alabama's favour.

If Wisconsin beats Ohio St., for the Big 10 championship, they are in, if not, then the Big 10 and Pac 10 based on SOS will get in along with Oklahoma. Now if Clemson loses to Miami and Auburn beats Georgia and TCU beats Oklahoma, G..D help the voters. I cannot even try to figure it out.

2 hours ago, BigD88 said:

This is how I see it shaking out if Wisconsin loses.

People mention Alabama not having a great win, and a lackluster schedule, and it's true. But losses matter too. And OSU has two losses, one being a blowout to an unranked Iowa. Which is the worst of any remaining contender.

Last year, the committee blew off an 8 game win streak including two top 6 wins, a conference championship, and a head-to-head advantage for Penn State in favor of Ohio State because PSU had lost two games, including a blowout loss on the road to a ranked Michigan by week 4. 

So I see no way they could turnaround and justify leaving out a one loss 'Bama, whose only loss is on the road to a top 4 team, in favor of a 2 loss team with a blowout loss to an unranked Iowa in November. 

Yeah, 'Bama's schedule turned out to be pretty uninspiring. But at least FSU had Francois when they played. And losses matter too. Which is why I just can't see OSU getting in over a one-loss Alabama.

Difference between PSU and Ohio State rather than Ohio State and Alabama is that PSU and Ohio State were in the same conference and weren't keeping another conference out or adding a 2nd team from a conference into the playoffs.  I think that is the main reason they could justify taking Ohio State over PSU was because they were going to take a B1G team regardless, they just decided between PSU and Ohio State for it.  This time they'll be choosing if they want to add a 2nd team from the same conference compared to a conference champ.

Bama shouldn't get in this year because of their paper soft scheduling, but none of the teams below them really have a great argument either, and Bama has recent history on their side.  I think we end up with:

1. Clemson
  2. Oklahoma
  3. Auburn
  4. Alabama

New Years Day Bowls

• Ohio State vs USC
  • Miami vs Wisconsin
  • Georgia vs Penn State
  • Notre Dame vs TCU

I think Bama has the four seed locked up. Wisconsin is the only team that can knock them out of the playoffs.

It's funny that we were rooting for Bama so we had a shot at the playoffs and now Bama has to root for us a week later. ?

1. Clemson

2. OU

3. Georgia/Auburn winner

4. Wisconsin (with B1G championship) -or- Alabama (with Wisconsin loss)

Here's what's going to happen:

Winner of Auburn/Georgia is IN

Winner of Clemson/Miami is IN

If Oklahoma wins, they're in. If they LOSE, it will be absolute CHAOS. They would have 2 losses, no conference title, but beat OSU head to head. Would the committee take a 2 loss Big 12 champion?

If Wisconsin wins, they're IN. If they lose to OSU, then I think OSU is still on the outs. The precedent was set last year (ironically with them) that a 1 loss non-conference champion trumps a 2 loss conference champion, even with a head to head win. Alabama is in. The only factor that we have NEVER seen before would be 2 teams from the same conference making it, which could provide the committee with a way out, but I don't see that. The bottom line is, OSU got absolutely HOUSED by a 5 win Iowa team and beaten on their own home field by Oklahoma. They're out. Enjoy the Rose Bowl.

The PAC 12 is done.

Notre Dame is done.

The committee could likely justify the mental gymnastics to get Ohio State in if they beat Wisconsin, but the backlash would be huge (which may be a point in favor of them doing it, controversy draws eyeballs).  I guess we'll see how much the ratings/TV Execs/Money factor plays into it, because that's Ohio State's best bet on getting included.  Does anyone actually believe the committee is really trying to get only the 4 best teams?

13 hours ago, Raves said:

I really doubt that they put 2 SEC teams in as the situation last year was very weird.  Penn State ended up having 2 losses, including a really bad loss to Pitt and their only good win was against Ohio State IIRC, they had no scheduling whatsoever to boost their resume.  This year the argument would Ohio State vs Alabama where Alabama even with 1 loss, doesn't really have any signature wins to boost their resume, the best win is a Miss State team that is massively overranked while although Ohio State has 2 losses, one of which is horrible, they have a lot better wins than Alabama.  Although the loss to Iowa is inexcusable, there is a possibility of it being looked at as a trap game after a very tough hard fought game against Penn State where both teams dropped games against opponents they would likely beat on any other day besides the week after their match.

That being said, I haven't felt like Ohio State was worthy of the playoffs this year, I haven't liked what I've seen, but I really don't want to see 2 teams from a conference get in either unless their resumes are about as ridiculous as could be.

Things for Ohio State: Big wins against #2 Penn State, #12 Mich State, scUM and potentially a #4 Wis team. All of our big games will be from teams with better rankings than us. We will have a Conference Championship win and 3 big wins. 
Against: a horrible loss to Iowa and a loss to #3 OU. 

Things for Bama: 11 wins. Notable resume wins Miss State that has what 4 losses now, LSU and a bad FSU team. 
Against: Their schedule really is not that impressive. Auburn soundly beat them and they were the only real team they faced all year. 

All that being said, I think Bama would go in front of us unless (again this is a big unless) we soundly beat Wis. If that happens then I think we get invited to the best (Orange or Fiesta bowl) bowl game in the New Years 6. I would take Miami/Clemson in the orange or PAC 12 Champ/SEC 2nd in the Fiesta. Any combination of those would be great games. 

My prediction for what it's worth:

1# Clemson vs 4# Bama - It's a crap shoot. Both teams really have not done anything that impressive all year. I'll say Clemson wins because I really don't want to hear all of the SEC Iron Bowl Greatest Rivalry garbage ESPN will shove down our throats. 

2# Auburn vs 3# OU - Auburn wins. They have found ways to win big games this year.

1# Clemson vs 2# Auburn - Auburn wins because of ^^^^^^^. Face it, they show up when it counts. 

That is all

mastercheddaar

25 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

I got it like this 

Clemson/Miami winner

Georgia/Auburn winner

Oklahoma locked in

Alabama(if UW loses)/Wisconsin(if they win they’re in)

You think if Oklahoma loses they are still in?

I got 
Clemson/Miami winner
Georgia/Auburn winner
If OU and Wisconsin win they are both in
If one loses then Bama takes their place
If both lose the Ohio State gets the 4th spot

Archived