Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Eh, it doesn’t reward tanking which is good for the game tbh.

The idea of just sending a mediocre conference USA team out on the court for a couple of years to try to tank is awful for the league from a competitive perspective.

15-20 win teams aren’t good for the league.

It also gives incentive to borderline playoff teams to tank ala la. 

6 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Because he’s got a good frame and defends? He’s slow as ****.

He plays a little slower and doesnt exactly blow by people but he is a very well rounded player with no real weaknesses to his game. Reminds me some of better Otto Porter Jr. when he came out. Good at everything master of nothing type. Its up to the Cavs to bring him in and develop him further, he has the skillset to do anything he just needs pushed to define himself

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Don’t do this to me.

Like I said I need to start watching more prospects. Stupid lottery had me thinking top 3. I like Culver too. But I have a hard time dismissing what Hunter did to him in the tournament. He absolutely owned him. 

Unfortunately now I have to start watching a lot more guys to edify myself on them. 

Both Culver and Hunter are going to be really good NBA players with a decent amount of fringe all star potential. RJ Barrett has good allstar potential but I think theres a chance hes nothing more than an inefficient me first guy who ends up being frustrating. Any of the 3 is OK at 5. Not thrilled with anyone else at this time.

Cam Reddish would be an incredible disaster. I dont want him with the Rockets pick.

• Like 1

The Cavaliers are effectively in no mans land in both the draft and the NBA in general. 

Get ready for aimless basketball led by Colin Sexton and the 5th pick to be named later (19 YOA with raw game that may translate in 3 years). 

What a time to be alive this will be. 

At least for the pelicans, this could speed up their willingness to part with Anthony Davis. In the Lakers with the fourth pick in the draft also have more ammunition. The NBA is so smart. 

3 hours ago, candyman93 said:

On no planet is Hunter close to Kawi.

Its Culver or bust.

I'm not sure how Culver is superior to Hunter. He's a better ball handler and volume scorer, but that's it imo. The NCG was interesting to see Culver and Hunter on the floor at the same time often guarding each other most of the game. Hunter lock down Culver and Culver couldn't stop Hunter when they were matched up.

One game is not the whole story of Culver and/or Hunter's game of course.

...  and Umm... remember Kawhi at san diego st.? Current Kawhi, of course he's not close.

I'm talking about as  2 year college athletes and their development. Their play traits are very similar (not the same) with Kawhi being the superior prospect in terms of mid range, defensive engagement, defensive instincts, and rebounding prowess. Hunter has superior 3 point and long range touch (at the same level of development), is a better ball handler (even though he doesn't do it much), has a superior post and triple threat game. Both have go go gadget arms and massive hands, as well as move similarly on the floor in terms of body dynamics.4

They have a lot of similar traits.

I'd rather have Coby White over Culver in terms of fit for our team when  it comes to 2-guards/combo guards even though Culver's the better player in my mind.

• Like 2

pick # 5 DeAndre Hunter former Cavalier becomes newest member of the Cavaliers.  Beilein type of player that can consistently knock down a 3 and can torment opposing players on defense.

pick # 26 Cameron Johnson Tar Heel with length and shot around 47% from three last season

Downside to both of these player... They are older then you'd like, so their development may be complete.  With both of them you get less of the unknown, but also less upside.

If I'm the Cavs, I'm trying to do something crazy to build/rebuild this thing. I'm trying to see if Houston is open for us trading Kevin Love to the Rockets for Chris Paul, who has a ridiculous salary that they're probably looking to dump. I'm then trading Chris Paul to someone else, dumping his salary. I load up on some picks while dumping salary, and go all in on tanking for the next 2 years, while simultaneously developing our young talent.

• Like 1

Obviously it was very disappointing not to get into the top 3 last night.  Right now, at pick # 5 I would be ok with:

De'Andre Hunter - Has a well rounded game.  Has potentially the highest floor due to his versatility.

Coby White - Has the motor and ball handling skills to play PG and length to play SG.

Jarrett Culver - Has the ability to be a volume scorer.

Cam Reddish - Based off of potential alone.  He is a Boom or Bust player who could in theory be a better Pro player then college player.

I just hope that the Cavaliers get really lucky and the player they pick at #5 becomes a stud.

Peace!!!

• Like 1

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck