2022 Official Commanders Training Camp Thread

turtle28

Ben Standing said on Grant & Danny that he’s heard Washington has been offering veteran LBs contracts but it’s been very minimum type offers and the vets have said they’ll wait & don’t want to participate in training camp in the heat & they’ll consider their offer the last week before the season starts. Remains to be seen if after the 1st week of practice if they decide to up their offers to get a vet in here now.

Ben said the only LBs who’ve stood out to him are Holcomb & Jamin. 

Edited by turtle28

16 minutes ago, ovfd55 said:

Wentz is going to provide a roller coaster of emotions for us this year hopefully there's a lot more ups then downs though.

Yes, that’s what he’s been his whole career but I think most years - minus 2020 - he provides more ups than downs.

1 hour ago, Troublez said:

Am I foolish to believe all this Dotson hype? Multiple beat reporters and Twitter vids are really building this kid up....

I have learned over the last few decades to take trading camp articles, videos & tweets with a grain of salt. They’re just reporting something good they may see on the field at camp, which they should, it’s their jobs. They report bad things as well unless it’s the team site.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Ben Standing said on Grant & Danny that he’s heard Washington has been offering veteran LBs contracts but it’s been very minimum type offers and the vets have said they’ll wait & don’t want to participate in training camp in the heat & they’ll consider their offer the last week before the season starts. Remains to be seen if after the 1st week of practice if they decide to up their offers to get a vet in here now.

Ben said the only LBs who’ve stood out to him are Holcomb & Jamin. 

So are we going to roll our cap space forward then?  Maybe my math is wrong....but I think we have a bunch of cap and to me LBer is the biggest need.  If they are comfortable enough to just add Vet Minimum linebackers, that likely means they have no intent to spend real money on any other position.  And for LBer that means they won't add more 250K to our cap.  So that still leaves over 11 million.  We could for instance comfortably sign Daron Payne if we wanted.  Rolling forward all isn't a bad plan.  But I am curious what they are thinking.

Nothing wrong with being excited gentleman, but it would be wise to temper our expectations.(on Jahan Dotson)

I think he's gonna be a stud...

But until they do it on GameDay, it's just practice.

I hope he's a Terry McLaurin clone.

But how many WR's have we drafted over the years that were more Malcom Kelly, than Terry McLaurin?

WR rookies are also one of the toughest to evaluate because it seems to usually take them time to blossom, more than other positions.

Sure, you have your Terry McLaurin's & Justin Jefferson's from time to time.

But usually....they're Josh Doctson's & Taylor Jacobs...Great in practice & not so much on GameDay.

So just keep that in mind.

Hopefully, he's our next Santana Moss. 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aceinthehouse said:

Nothing wrong with being excited gentleman, but it would be wise to temper our expectations.(on Jahan Dotson)

I think he's gonna be a stud...

But until they do it on GameDay, it's just practice.

I hope he's a Terry McLaurin clone.

But how many WR's have we drafted over the years that were more Malcom Kelly, than Terry McLaurin?

WR rookies are also one of the toughest to evaluate because it seems to usually take them time to blossom, more than other positions.

Sure, you have your Terry McLaurin's & Justin Jefferson's from time to time.

But usually....they're Josh Doctson's & Taylor Jacobs...Great in practice & not so much on GameDay.

So just keep that in mind.

Hopefully, he's our next Santana Moss. 😁

But none of the guys you said we normally picked have looked like this especially consistently in practice. It’s okay to be excited but I do believe come game days that excitement is only going to carry over. This kid loves the process and he and Terry along with all the other talented TE’s and WR’s we will see something we haven’t in a long time. A bright young offense. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

But none of the guys you said we normally picked have looked like this especially consistently in practice. It’s okay to be excited but I do believe come game days that excitement is only going to carry over. This kid loves the process and he and Terry along with all the other talented TE’s and WR’s we will see something we haven’t in a long time. A bright young offense. 

But wasn't Taylor Jacobs the practice god?

Just one glance at Jacobs during practice & he was Art Monk, Charlie Taylor & Gary Clark all rolled into 1.

7 hours ago, offbyone said:

So are we going to roll our cap space forward then?  Maybe my math is wrong....but I think we have a bunch of cap and to me LBer is the biggest need.  If they are comfortable enough to just add Vet Minimum linebackers, that likely means they have no intent to spend real money on any other position.  And for LBer that means they won't add more 250K to our cap.  So that still leaves over 11 million.  We could for instance comfortably sign Daron Payne if we wanted.  Rolling forward all isn't a bad plan.  But I am curious what they are thinking.

Maybe they are thinking long term. Like Payne or Sweat’s contract. I don’t know, but I’d definitely agree they have the $ to spend on Barr or Collins, $13.3 mil in cap space.

Edited by turtle28

20 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Good thing he shouldn't be playing press corner for Baltimore. 

I am still very high on the talent and potential that he possesses. I was disappointed he wasnt one our picks. 

That being said, he looked very poor on that play. Hips definitely looked tight and his reaction time was also poor.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

But wasn't Taylor Jacobs the practice god?

Just one glance at Jacobs during practice & he was Art Monk, Charlie Taylor & Gary Clark all rolled into 1.

I don’t remember much of Taylor Jacobs other than he couldn’t ever stay healthy & was gone in a blink of an eye. We should’ve re-signed James Thrash instead of drafting him & drafted Alex Brown, the Florida DE who became a good DE for the Bears instead but Spurier would never draft a defender early! 😂 

1 hour ago, aceinthehouse said:

Doesn’t matter. So, he’s a not a defender who can cover a small/shifty WR? We knew that during the draft process. He’s best used as a box safety or a Buffalo Nickel. He’s definitely not going to be able to cover a WR one on one like a slot corner can.