HOU WR John Metchie III diagnosed with leukemia, will miss 2022 season (UPDATE: Cleared for 2023 Texans Training Camp)

.Buzz

4 minutes ago, viking said:

That is terrible - I wish him a speedy recovery and hopefully he can be back for next season.

Exactly this. Already rehabbing a torn ACL and then diagnosed with leukemia. An awful year for him.

Good luck, JM! Hoping to see you on the field soon.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Exactly this. Already rehabbing a torn ACL and then diagnosed with leukemia. An awful year for him.

Good luck, JM! Hoping to see you on the field soon.

19 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Damn... here's hoping they got it early enough and his prognosis is good

On the one hand, while it’s very treatable it’s far from a guarantee of cure.   So still very scary.  

On the flip side the fact he’s a pro athlete likely helped him get diagnosed very early.   No 22 year old without symptoms is getting a blood count that likely flagged the issue.    And because he was playing at peak form last year the odds it’s early are excellent.   Because it’s a blood borne malignancy though still no guarantees (unlike a locally invasive tumor where early forms would be contained).    But yeah hopefully it’s a speedy and full recovery.  

Edited by Broncofan

APL is a subtype of AML, which is specifically the cancer I had and it has a 1/3 survival rate over 5 years. APL apparently carries a high survival rate of about 90%. I assume since he takes care of himself and is a professional athlete he will be okay, but I figure it could knock him out at least a year or two. If I’d been able to get away with just the first year of treatment (only chemo) I’d have fully recovered back to my pre-cancer self, so assuming that’s all he has to endure, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him on the field again. Leukemia is such a fast acting cancer, it’s a bummer to see he got it. 

• Like 3

Houston is home to MD Anderson, which is the largest cancer therapy center in the US - I understand Metchie is going to get world class treatment no matter where he was drafted, but it’s also nice knowing he’s got MD Anderson at his disposal.

• Like 11