HOU WR John Metchie III diagnosed with leukemia, will miss 2022 season (UPDATE: Cleared for 2023 Texans Training Camp)

.Buzz

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Houston is home to MD Anderson, which is the largest cancer therapy center in the US - I understand Metchie is going to get world class treatment no matter where he was drafted, but it’s also nice knowing he’s got MD Anderson at his disposal.

Indeed. They are world class. I use to work there and their Leukemia Clinic is outstanding. Wish him the best.

• Like 4

What the hell.... he can't catch a break. :(

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

Houston is home to MD Anderson, which is the largest cancer therapy center in the US - I understand Metchie is going to get world class treatment no matter where he was drafted, but it’s also nice knowing he’s got MD Anderson at his disposal.

Yeah, I've heard about that place a lot on tv. Thanks for the reminder. Hope this helps him beat it quick.

• Like 2

I'm curious at what point they actually found and made this diagnosis? Alabama? Combine? Texans Rookie OTA physicals found something?

Only asking because we know anything medical "Pre" draft pretty much kills your draft stock. He was already getting dinged and dropped for the ACL. Just seems odd nothing was found before the last 2 months. 

10 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

I'm curious at what point they actually found and made this diagnosis? Alabama? Combine? Texans Rookie OTA physicals found something?

Only asking because we know anything medical "Pre" draft pretty much kills your draft stock. He was already getting dinged and dropped for the ACL. Just seems odd nothing was found before the last 2 months. 

Zero chance it’s pre draft.   No one would draft him with that knowledge.    A blood count would have been the flag, followed by a smear / flow cyometry blood sample.     It’s entirely possible any pre ACL blood work (or post op) didn’t pick it up.   They also wouldn’t wait so long to start treatment.  

And that original blood count that triggered investigation is likely part of the entry physical for the team.   The timing fits with a new diagnosis.   

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

BTW everyone obv hopes Metchie recovers.   But it’s even more important given how the CBA works - he only gets 5 years additional health coverage once he’s no longer playing - and being on the NFI list means no service time accumulates for stuff like pension.    

Obv this is more important for him than the game itself.   But making it back to play 3+ seasons has massive implications for his ability to get full health care down the line.   Fingers crossed on all counts.   

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

Hope he gets through it, and I’m sure he will with the advanced medical stuff he’ll have access to via Texans medical coverage. 

Bummed, Metchie was a big sleeper this year for me, thought he was gonna shock a lot of people. His route running and release packages are smoother than whipped cream. 

55 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

He's a very talented young receiver but an even better young man.  I know he'll overcome this and I can't wait to see him on the field again.  RTR!

Also, amazing subtle move by Saban to paint the Texans in a positive light that the organization must now back up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

Also, amazing subtle move by Saban to paint the Texans in a positive light that the organization must now back up.

Also amazing that Bama had absolutely "NO" knowledge of anything leading towards or a concerning this diagnosis.  I'm sorry. Not buying it.