HOU WR John Metchie III diagnosed with leukemia, will miss 2022 season (UPDATE: Cleared for 2023 Texans Training Camp)

.Buzz

The medical field has come a long way.

It's worth noting that WWE star Roman Reigns was diagnosed with leukemia at the same age of 22 years old and he's been able to go on and have a very successful career. He's now 37 and looks more healthy than ever and is still going strong. 

I hope 15 years now we can all say the same for Metchie .

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Also amazing that Bama had absolutely "NO" knowledge of anything leading towards or a concerning this diagnosis.  I'm sorry. Not buying it. 

Is it though? These diseases can come with little to no warning…

9 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

The medical field has come a long way.

It's worth noting that WWE star Roman Reigns was diagnosed with leukemia at the same age of 22 years old and he's been able to go on and have a very successful career. He's now 37 and looks more healthy than ever and is still going strong. 

I hope 15 years now we can all say the same for Metchie .

you live with it forever though. Roman had to stall his WWE career twice because of it. Once because it was back and again because he couldn't risk it with COVID. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Also amazing that Bama had absolutely "NO" knowledge of anything leading towards or a concerning this diagnosis.  I'm sorry. Not buying it. 

Yeah, I'm sure Alabama knew he had Leukemia and just decided to not let him know or the NFL. That checks out... What are you talking about? He would be getting treatment immediately if he or anyone else was aware of it. This isn't an unreported ligament tear or something that a player might try to slip by a franchise. This is a life threatening illness. I am positive they had absolutely "NO" knowledge. 

• Like 3

On 7/24/2022 at 2:45 PM, ET80 said:

Houston is home to MD Anderson, which is the largest cancer therapy center in the US - I understand Metchie is going to get world class treatment no matter where he was drafted, but it’s also nice knowing he’s got MD Anderson at his disposal.

Definitely one of the very best facilities in the country. I’d be surprised if he isn’t back to playing football again. Texans can’t catch a break. Cooks is going to be busy again

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 7/26/2022 at 8:13 AM, ET80 said:

Is it though? These diseases can come with little to no warning…

Right, it was an asinine, ignorant post. Leukemia just kinda pops up in small symptoms and pretty abruptly at times. In my diagnoses, the first time I just felt sluggish for a few weeks and then collapsed, then found out at the hospital. The second time, I had regular flu-like symptoms but it ended up leukemia showing symptoms again. Alabama should absolutely have all its players wearing cancer detecting nicotine patches before the draft and **** their program for not already doing it. I assume once cancer detecting nicotine patches are invented they will. 

On 7/26/2022 at 9:29 AM, Folesadelphia said:

Yeah, I'm sure Alabama knew he had Leukemia and just decided to not let him know or the NFL. That checks out... What are you talking about? He would be getting treatment immediately if he or anyone else was aware of it. This isn't an unreported ligament tear or something that a player might try to slip by a franchise. This is a life threatening illness. I am positive they had absolutely "NO" knowledge. 

This and it goes without saying. Leukemia isn’t something you can sit on lol. When I found out I had it, I had blood transfusions that night to raise my hemoglobin (was at about 3, normal range is 11-14) and then by the next morning I was already getting chemo. You can’t **** around w cancer. 

On 4/29/2023 at 3:03 PM, BayRaider said:

Metchie gonna be a baller in the NFL. I drafted him so many fantasy (bestball) teams last year before his diagnosis. His route running is smooth as butter. 

Happy he survived cancer so your fantasy teams didn’t suffer 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

Happy he survived cancer so your fantasy teams didn’t suffer 

ha ha.. no kidding

Football is so meaningless in the grand scheme of things. I am super happy for this kid and hope only the best for him.