Deshaun Watson Suspended 6 Games; UPDATE: NFL Submitting Appeal to Increase

CBears019

4 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

It's also really tough for someone in his position to release statements. No good avenues for him to do that.

I guess there aren't any Future rap lyrics he could post to Twitter that says "sorry for swinging my stuff at you..."

• Like 3

1 minute ago, seminoles1 said:

I bet it's really hard for Watson to call a press conference.

It's also really tough for someone in his position to release statements. No good avenues for him to do that.

Why would his pr team want to talk before a decision is made if they don’t have to? 

If the plan was to talk before the game what more does he have to say prior to that? The NFLPA already come out and said they supported judge Robinson’s stance.

What you want him to say? He didn’t like that the nfl appealed the decision? Oh yeah that’ll help for surrrreeeeee. It was smart to let him talk before the game. People were going to have trouble dealing with watching him in uniform. That’s smart. 

Talking before a final decision is made before he has to talk in a bad move. Watson is the bad guy in everyone’s eyes. Probably not the best move to consistently put him out there to respond to questions before a final decision is made. 

Just now, brownie man said:

Why would his pr team want to talk before a decision is made if they don’t have to? 

If the plan was to talk before the game what more does he have to say prior to that? The NFLPA already come out and said they supported judge Robinson’s stance.

What you want him to say? He didn’t like that the nfl appealed the decision? Oh yeah that’ll help for surrrreeeeee. It was smart to let him talk before the game. People were going to have trouble dealing with watching him in uniform. That’s smart. 

Talking before a final decision is made before he has to talk in a bad move. Watson is the bad guy in everyone’s eyes. Probably not the best move to consistently put him out there to respond to questions before a final decision is made. 

6pvpd7.jpg

• Like 11

36 minutes ago, brownie man said:

You’ve already made your decision on what you think.

The irony in this statement here is incredible - off the charts incredible.

Video could be released of Watson doing what he's accused of, you'd find a way to spin it in defense of "your" QB. "Nah dog, that's Will Fuller, that ain't Watson in that video dog..."

• Like 2

It’s a cognitive bias problem. You hold a view of someone that includes they never apologized. They now apologize but you hate them so your brain rejects it and comes up with reasons. A reason like OMG! He cares about his future! How dare he value 1 lawsuit vs an NFL suspension differently than 24 lawsuits and jail vs an NFL suspension. What a monster!

There is a joke for this.

A guy stays out all night drinking and tries to sneak in the house at 5 am. His wife meets him at the door and asks where he has been. He says he slept on the hammock in the backyard. She tells him they took it down 3 months ago. He says.   “That’s my story and I am sticking with it”

New data that does not fit your prior view does not get automatically trashed to save your feelings. That is unless you are ruled by cognitive bias. 

1 minute ago, SkippyX said:

It’s a cognitive bias problem. You hold a view of someone that includes they never apologized. They now apologize but you hate them so your brain rejects it and comes up with reasons. A reason like OMG! He cares about his future! How dare he value 1 lawsuit vs an NFL suspension differently than 24 lawsuits and jail vs an NFL suspension. What a monster!

A guy stays out all night drinking and tries to sneak in the house at 5 am. His wife meets him at the door and asks where he has been. He says he slept on the hammock in the backyard. She tells him they took it down 3 months ago. He says.   “That’s my story and I am sticking with it”

New data that does not fit your prior view does not get automatically trashed to save your feelings. That is unless you are ruled by cognitive bias. 

6pvqt1.jpg

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, brownie man said:

I'm confused on your points. Is it about PR or doing what's right for his pending case?

One page you're talking about how he shouldn't say anything because a middle schooler could figure out to not apologize while cases are pending. The next page you're saying he apologized because it's a good PR move.

Like...those don't go together.

You are the one who said this was his first media availability. I'm saying that's a garbage answer because he is the #1 news story in the NFL. If he wanted media availability, he could have it in 60 seconds. He was backed into a corner, so he issued that apology. That's my issue here. From my perspective, and I'm guessing a lot of others', he did it out of convenience to himself. You said it yourself, he needed to say something before going back in the field. So he had 2 choices: issue an apology, or sidestep. Conveniently, he has an appeal going right now determining his financial future and a judge already said his lack of remorse was a huge negative. So he issues an apology. Color me unimpressed.

It's not hard at all to see why a good portion of us are skeptical of his sincerity. It's very hard to see why you and a couple others are defending him so much. Again, from my perspective, it's because he's your favorite team's QB. That is gross.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Or you’ve decided you’re going to defend the guy no matter what because you want to be a contrarian and ignore how pitiful of an “apology” it was making it about himself because you want to just see his “apology” as something that benefits your narrative. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Yep, nailed it. Cognitive bias. Not an issue with who he is or the timing of his apology. Deshaun Watson apologized, so we're supposed to just ignore why he's apologizing.

You want to talk about peering into someone's souls? Stop acting superior and examining people's cognitive bias based on posts on an internet forum.

• Like 8

Just now, Scoundrel said:

Or you’ve decided you’re going to defend the guy no matter what because you want to be a contrarian and ignore how pitiful of an “apology” it was making it about himself because you want to just see his “apology” as something that benefits your narrative. 

200.gif

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I'm going to bring back DWC so that we can take everyone's mind off Watson until the appeal is finished. 

Ohhhhhh... He can't be doing too well after Zach Wilson and Mekhi Becton going down for the year.

On the plus side, you KNOW he's going to love Jimmy G... more than you, even.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

You are the one who said this was his first media availability. I'm saying that's a garbage answer because he is the #1 news story in the NFL. If he wanted media availability, he could have it in 60 seconds

I said first media availability since he settled the cases. 

He’s had two total before this last one since the trade. There purposely deciding when he talks to the media. This was his third time talking to the media in total and first since the cases were settled. 

And I never said he was sincere. I’m not going to assume he is. That’s not the point of this anyway. The point is when should he talk and what should he say. 

im guessing the plan was to always talk before the game. That’s smart. So if you know that then don’t talk before then. It’s not winning the media at this point. He’s in a state of damage control. You’re just trying to get through the storm. No lawyer or pr team worth anything would put him out consistently. He’s fighting a battle he’ll never win. 

Edited by brownie man

7 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Yep, nailed it. Cognitive bias. Not an issue with who he is or the timing of his apology. Deshaun Watson apologized, so we're supposed to just ignore why he's apologizing.

You want to talk about peering into someone's souls? Stop acting superior and examining people's cognitive bias based on posts on an internet forum.

This is a fantastic post. 

• Like 1

Just now, brownie man said:

I said first media availability since he settled the cases. 

He’s had two total since the trade. There purposely deciding when he talks to the media. This was his third time talking to the media in total and first since the cases were settled. 

And I never said he was sincere. I’m not going to assume he is. That’s not the point of this anyway. The point is when should he talk and what should he say. 

im guessing the plan was to always talk before the game. That’s smart. So if you know that then don’t talk before then. It’s not winning the media at this point. He’s in a state of damage control. You’re just trying to get through the storm. No lawyer or pr team worth anything would put him out consistently. He’s fighting a battle he’ll never win. 

6pvqwu.jpg

• Like 9