2023 draft prospects and college football talk.

ripsean21

11 hours ago, turtle28 said:

McCarthy just isn’t that good. The dude is not completing the same kinds of passes that Fields & Stroud did, he’s not as complete as a passer. McCarthy’s whole line of work isn’t impressive if you watch the Michigan offense. I know it seems I’m being biased, but I’m not.

What can you possibly see out of McCarthy that’s making you think top 10 pick?

Their stats in their first years starting:

McCarthy: 2700 yds & 22 TDs 

Stroud: 4435 yds & 44 TDs

Fields: 3273 yds, 41 TDs

If you’re an OSU fan you’re definitely being biased. I need to stress this, in the years where Fields and Stroud have started, they’ve had at least 4 WRs who will go in the first round with Olave Wilson JSN and Marvin Jr. who I think is going to be a top 5ish pick. Michigan doesn’t have that receiving talent and they are a run first team. JJ played within his realms and honestly got better in the big moments. He’s 19, it’s his first year starting, they’re going to get work in there but JJ has a ton of potential that can be unlocked. You cannot fake what he’s done over the last few games and when JJ was on, he looked unstoppable, and it’s been like that since the OSU game.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, turtle28 said:

McCarthy just isn’t that good. The dude is not completing the same kinds of passes that Fields & Stroud did, he’s not as complete as a passer. McCarthy’s whole line of work isn’t impressive if you watch the Michigan offense. I know it seems I’m being biased, but I’m not.

What can you possibly see out of McCarthy that’s making you think top 10 pick?

Their stats in their first years starting:

McCarthy: 2700 yds & 22 TDs 

Stroud: 4435 yds & 44 TDs

Fields: 3273 yds, 41 TDs

McCarthy has zero blue chip pass catchers on his team. You can’t compare the twos tape when there’s two different offensive styles and completely different levels of pass catchers. A guy is either making the most of what he has or he isn’t. But what you can see is ability moving and throwing and what is really clear is improvements from last year to this year and throughout the season. MHJ, Olave, Wilson, JSN. That’s just the last two years. Paris Campbell, Terry I mean Michigan doesn’t even have a guy on the Paris level if your watching the programs.

Like we can agree Fields flashes in the NFL without great pass catchers right? So I think it’s very crazy to say that the clear cut best Michigan QB I’ve seen play in  a long long time including the best between the two last year is flashing the ability in college. Not too mention in games he’s been apart of OSU has won 0 of them with a guy throwing for twice as many yards and TD’s. And we all know numbers at OSU are meaningless when guys like Pryor and Haskins and so on and so on have scratched north of 35-50 in their times. Both Fields and Stroud are very talented. But I think it’s crazy to say McCarthy playing at OSU couldn’t do close if not match them.

We gained a ton of draft spots with this loss at least. I am predicting we pick at #12 with a likely loss next week. That puts us in a spot to draft a blue chipper. Will Levis suddenly comes into discussion and we'll likely have our choice of all the CB prospects. Bijan as well as the TE from Notre Dame will likely be there. Oh well, lots to talk about and debate about!

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, taylor made said:

We gained a ton of draft spots with this loss at least. I am predicting we pick at #12 with a likely loss next week. That puts us in a spot to draft a blue chipper. Will Levis suddenly comes into discussion and we'll likely have our choice of all the CB prospects. Bijan as well as the TE from Notre Dame will likely be there. Oh well, lots to talk about and debate about!

Skoranski and Paris Johnson are probably there as well. I don't think I'd pick them above any of the players you listed but I can bet you this group would. 

• Like 1

I'll add to this, if Howell plays this weekend he plays well how bad does that look on Rivera? Also, how much does that change what they do in the draft? You'd have to think a safety net like Mayer would work wonders for a young QB or perhaps a stud RB like Bijan Robinson to take pressure off of him. Either way, maybe you can get Mayer/Robinson/Top CB and then Jaelyn Duncan in the second. Bring back Heinicke and start Howell. That doesn't make you a championship contender but it allows you to put some talent into holes on the roster without taking a chance on Levis/Richardson.

Personally, I'm hoping everyone is fired. Like....all the way down to the janitor.

No mercy....I'm that done with the current regime.

Draft your QB with the 1st Rd pick 

So whoever you guys think what QB will be sitting there at Pick ?? For us to draft.

Put me in on that guy.

2nd Rd pick? I would go O-line, LBer, or TE.

Those are my top 3 priorities this off season 

16 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I'll add to this, if Howell plays this weekend he plays well how bad does that look on Rivera? Also, how much does that change what they do in the draft? You'd have to think a safety net like Mayer would work wonders for a young QB or perhaps a stud RB like Bijan Robinson to take pressure off of him. Either way, maybe you can get Mayer/Robinson/Top CB and then Jaelyn Duncan in the second. Bring back Heinicke and start Howell. That doesn't make you a championship contender but it allows you to put some talent into holes on the roster without taking a chance on Levis/Richardson.

I’ve said this before I think also if we went into the season with Sam Howell, as quarterback we can possibly trade out of the first round and build up trade capital for the 2024 draft if Howell isn’t the answer. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I don’t think Howell should consider into any of our plans at QB. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I'm hoping we keep Howell around as a backup.

He's cheap & under contract.

I would let both Heinicke & Wentz go. ( As well as all coaches)

Draft our QB round 1. 

Spend money re-signing Payne & fill holes on O-line, LBer, etc.

So QB room?

1)Draft rookie in 1st Rd.

2)Sam Howell

3)Sign cheap free agent vet (for whomever fits our Offensive scheme)

Do NOT trade for Carr, or for any starter. No more retreads.

Let's build from the ground up! Like an expansion team.

But keep the superstars that are under contract, here.

16 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I do only because I don't think they should reach for someone like Levis or Richardson. This staff cannot develop a QB who needs a lot of time and patience. Just play Howell and bring Heinicke back as his back up. If it goes bad you're picking high and you have a shot at Maye and Williams with your new staff.