Jimmy G is staying with the 49ers

BroncoSojia

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

But that was always going to be the way this was seen if they did this. Always. It's objectively a good move, but the optics are the optics and the story is the story. 

Sure, and it is what it is. As the people following the Niners closely know, the plan was for Trey to take over as the starter and to move Jimmy. Jimmy decided to have surgery which pretty much scuttled his trade value - it was reported that we had a deal or something close to one before this surprise.

Due to Jimmy’s decision to get surgery we were unable to move him. John and Kyle have said from the start they weren’t just going to get rid of him just to get rid of him, which is where we are today. This shouldn’t come as a huge shock based on what they’ve said throughout the entire process. 

It’s all going to play itself out, and while I expect the knee jerk reactions about this being a poor reflection on Lance, it’s simply not the case. They wouldn’t have been holding Jimmy out of camp all summer if they were worried about Trey; they would have been getting Jimmy ready to play.

17 minutes ago, GW21 said:

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886dozxxlwvxountzbm7p

I find it funny that this is the only way people can rationalize it.

The truth is often stranger than fiction.

Another way you can look at it is that Jimmy gets paid to hang around a team he enjoys while being paid to be a backup until a more attractive opportunity presents itself.

Yeah, but Jimmy is dumb if that's what he's thinking ☺️. What a way to ruin one's career earning/achievement potential. They have not been especially loyal to him and would have cut him had Lance looked better.

Why go be a backup on another team when he can stick around a familiar environment and wait for a job to open up that he actually values?

🤔

The only way this makes sense is if you don't believe he could sign with Seattle (as well as a few other teams like Cleveland, potentially at something like $12mil gtd+escalators, which would be at least double and allows him to not have to have the 49ers sign off on it) and start. That job might never open up, especially if a team doesn't want him now.

TL;DR my point stands. 

13 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

It's not really a matter of plausible deniability for Jimmy as he didn't trade 3 first round picks for Lance, John Lynch did at the direction of Kyle Shanahan. 

I still say it is. Otherwise Jimmy just refuses to take a pay cut and forces his way to free agency. He gains leverage, as he can wait for the perfect opportunity or sign with Seattle right away. I can't see him getting a worse financial offer than the one he agreed to. Like, he could sit on the bench for a season and make lower-end backup money on the 49ers while being a year further away from playing and a year older. This benefits Jimmy how again? The only way this makes task sense is if Jimmy is taking a small amount guaranteed with the gamble that he will be able to start at some point this season, thus earning some money back and getting some starter time in to potentially increase his pay next year. It makes zero sense to take so little to sit when he can easily force his way to free agency.

13 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I'm curious how ownership views the regime.  It's an interesting tenure thus far.  2 very successful playoff runs in 5 years with truly horrendous seasons in between.  Then they mortgaged the future on the biggest gamble on talent in the draft.  And that's after paying a backup QB the richest contract in NFL history at the time. Only to then look to replace him, while ultimately bringing him back to possibly replace the replacement.  Anywhere else I think there would be serious questions about whether the regime should be o. The hot seat or not.

I agree with all this.

2 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Sure, and it is what it is. As the people following the Niners closely know, the plan was for Trey to take over as the starter and to move Jimmy. Jimmy decided to have surgery which pretty much scuttled his trade value - it was reported that we had a deal or something close to one before this surprise.

Due to Jimmy’s decision to get surgery we were unable to move him. John and Kyle have said from the start they weren’t just going to get rid of him just to get rid of him, which is where we are today. This shouldn’t come as a huge shock based on what they’ve said throughout the entire process. 

Yeah, but that's NFL lies. They were not going to keep him at the money that was due so, yeah, they were lying. All he had to do was say no to a pay cut and he would have been cut.

2 minutes ago, GW21 said:

It’s all going to play itself out, and while I expect the knee jerk reactions about this being a poor reflection on Lance, it’s simply not the case. They wouldn’t have been holding Jimmy out of camp all summer if they were worried about Trey; they would have been getting Jimmy ready to play.

I say it is 😃 the case, but we'll see. And I think everyone is worried about Trey. I know my friends who are 49ers fans are worried 🤷🏻.

19 minutes ago, GW21 said:

His value goes up quite a bit if a starting QB goes down and a team thinks they have a championship roster.

Remember when the Vikings traded for Bradford when Bridgewater went down? Say Brady goes down for the season. I can guarantee you that Tampa thinks that they have a championship roster and I highly doubt they’d hand over that team to Gabbert or Trask. 

don't forget that the Eagles weren't really a conender that year. They were 7-9 the year before and had traded up for Wentz who got hurt in the preseason. They knew when they traded bradford that they were basically lighting their season on fire to an extent. So not completely analogous. 

So we will see if the 49ers would be willing to move him. I would think that they would (especially if a team was desperate and would give up a first), but who knows.  It would be very amusing to me that they were apparently so scared of him going to Seattle of all teams but are willing to move him to a team that they may very well have to beat in the playoffs. 

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

At this point no one needed a starter except Seattle and why would SF want to make Seattle competitive? They would rather take two free wins. 

If Jimmy is going to be a backup somewhere, might as well be SF. Way too late in the season to beat out anyone not named Drew Lock/Geno Smith. 

Jimmy is going to be the starter. No way in hell a guy that has played in the SB and NFC Championship in 2/3 years gets relegated to backup a raw and inconsistent at best bust.

And yes, this confirms Lance is a MEGA BUST.

Edited by biggie.

2 minutes ago, biggie. said:

Jimmy is going to be the starter. No way in hell a guy that has played in the SB and NFC Championship in 2/3 years gets relegated to backup a raw and inconsistent at best bust.

And yes, this confirms Lance is a MEGA BUST.

Jesus christ what a dumb post. Lance is the starter. He will likely be the starter all season long barring injury. Worst case scenario is he’s the starter only the first 5 games and is terrible and Jimmy takes over (this is extremely unlikely). Lance is starter Week 1 though. 

5 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Jesus christ what a dumb post. Lance is the starter. He will likely be the starter all season long barring injury. Worst case scenario is he’s the starter only the first 5 games and is terrible and Jimmy takes over (this is extremely unlikely). Lance is starter Week 1 though. 

If SF had any confidence in him they would have let Jimmy go.

Keeping Jimmy is begging for a QB controversy when Lance inevitably struggles.

Edited by biggie.

3 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Lance is the starter week 1 bc Jimmy didn't participate in practice all off season,   if Jimmy had been around all off season would Lance still be the starter week 1?  If Jimmy gets traded before week 1 I will concede that Lance is likely to start the whole year barring injury.  If we get to 9/11 w/Jimmy on the roster still I would put the odds at 60/40 that Jimmy is taking back over once he is ready.

14 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Every time he makes a mistake he's going to be looking over his shoulder. No way he's ready for that kind of pressure.

6 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Lance is the starter week 1 bc Jimmy didn't participate in practice all off season,   if Jimmy had been around all off season would Lance still be the starter week 1?  If Jimmy gets traded before week 1 I wil

Yes, because Lance’s potential is through the roof, they have been working on an entire new offensive scheme/playbook for over a year for when Lance takes over, and Jimmy is just an average NFL QB at best. 

2 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Yeah, but that's NFL lies. They were not going to keep him at the money that was due so, yeah, they were lying. All he had to do was say no to a pay cut and he would have been cut.

I don’t believe they ever said they were willing to keep him at his scheduled salary, which you may say is splitting hairs, but they indicated they wouldn’t just dump him to dump him; if he refused a pay cut, then I’m sure they would have cut him, but it’d be to free up a good chunk of change, which isn’t nothing.

21 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

I say it is 😃 the case, but we'll see. And I think everyone is worried about Trey. I know my friends who are 49ers fans are worried 🤷🏻.

I think it’s fair for people to be skeptical of Lance regardless of the Jimmy situation. No one has seen him play ball at this level for any extended period of time. 

I guess my point is that if you are skeptical of Lance, that’s fair, but it should have nothing to do with bringing back a guy that’s making less guaranteed money than Tyrod Taylor. Shanahan has shown throughout his tenure here that he doesn’t care where you were drafted; if you haven’t earned your spot you aren’t going to play (see Trey Sermon/Elijah Mitchell). 

At the end of the day, we’ll just have to let this play out, but I’m very confident that this move had more to do with trying to get something in return for Jimmy than it did with how Trey is performing. If nothing else he can stay in SF all year and they should be able to get a comp pick of some sort for the 2024 draft. 

• Like 2