Jimmy G is staying with the 49ers

BroncoSojia

12 minutes ago, biggie. said:

Keeping Jimmy is begging for a QB controversy when Lance inevitably struggles.

I don't agree with you often, but this is one of the problems I agree with. Too many people expected Lance to come out this year as a fully formed all pro. His play variance is going to be crazy and there will be games he 100% loses on his own. The team was going to have to go through that. 

This opens the door to some nasty issues potentially

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Yes, because Lance’s potential is through the roof, they have been working on an entire new offensive scheme/playbook for over a year for when Lance takes over, and Jimmy is just an average NFL QB at best. 

And you can't rule out the possibility after seeing it all off season they have come to the conclusion that Trey isn't ready yet.  

7 minutes ago, Swift21 said:

They should have just went ahead and drafted Mac Jones. They obviously don't trust Lance.

If they had stayed at 12, it would have been fine. I wouldn't have done it at 3. 

The biggest problem is that they probably shouldn't have made that trade when they did. They should have just investigated the QBs. Who cares if other teams knew they were interested. 

Florio can be annoying, but he's said before that he thought shanny just spazzed out. The Watson situation went crazy but the niners were supposedly interested. Lost Stafford to the Rams. People were reporting interest in Dak and then he resigned. They just kept striking out and Florio thinks shanny freaked 😂. No idea if it's true, but funny

2 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

And you can't rule out the possibility after seeing it all off season they have come to the conclusion that Trey isn't ready yet.  

100%. Even if it's not the case, how can you think any different?

12 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I don’t believe they ever said they were willing to keep him at his scheduled salary, which you may say is splitting hairs, but they indicated they wouldn’t just dump him to dump him; if he refused a pay cut, then I’m sure they would have cut him, but it’d be to free up a good chunk of change, which isn’t nothing.

I think it’s fair for people to be skeptical of Lance regardless of the Jimmy situation. No one has seen him play ball at this level for any extended period of time. 

I guess my point is that if you are skeptical of Lance, that’s fair, but it should have nothing to do with bringing back a guy that’s making less guaranteed money than Tyrod Taylor. Shanahan has shown throughout his tenure here that he doesn’t care where you were drafted; if you haven’t earned your spot you aren’t going to play (see Trey Sermon/Elijah Mitchell). 

At the end of the day, we’ll just have to let this play out, but I’m very confident that this move had more to do with trying to get something in return for Jimmy than it did with how Trey is performing. If nothing else he can stay in SF all year and they should be able to get a comp pick of some sort for the 2024 draft. 

I agree with all of this; however, my original post was meaning to look from the lens of Jimmy G. I believe the only reason he would take that huge cut instead of forcing the 49ers' hand is because he believes he will start at some point and thus be able to to recoup some 💰 and starter cred. But yeah, we'll see what happens. I'm excited for several league sagas and this is one of them.

3 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

I agree with all of this; however, my original post was meaning to look from the lens of Jimmy G. I believe the only reason he would take that huge cut instead of forcing the 49ers' hand is because he believes he will start at some point and thus be able to to recoup some 💰 and starter cred. But yeah, we'll see what happens. I'm excited for several league sagas and this is one of them.

I may have wandered off the path a little bit during my rambling. It should be interesting for sure though. As a 49er fan I hope it’s not too interesting and Trey puts this to bed early on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I don't agree with you often, but this is one of the problems I agree with. Too many people expected Lance to come out this year as a fully formed all pro. His play variance is going to be crazy and there will be games he 100% loses on his own. The team was going to have to go through that. 

This opens the door to some nasty issues potentially

The whole situation changed once JimmyG was willing to take a 20M pay cut.   At 27M (ok 26.9M lol) there was no chance at keeping him.  Him having to wait until Aug to hey cleared medically absolutely killed the market.   All the buyers except CLE (waiting for Watson decision) and SEA cashed in their chips. It also meant that trade / release was the only option.  

Ppl forget JimmyG himself bid goodbye in the end of season presser.  No one forecast the surgery or trade market being dry as a result.   Or JimmyG willing to take a 20M pay cut either. 

At 7M the 49ers get 3 possible good outcomes:

1.  They find a trade partner other than SEA.   Getting the base salary to 7M is a big game changer.   The no trade clause and bonuses just mean JimmyG can have a say.   It’s a very reasonable compromise for both sides.  

2.  If Lance gets hurt or struggles with SF losing as a result - sure there’s a plan B.  

3.  Either way they prevent the most likely result of SEA signing him.   I personally don’t think it’s a big enough deal but it mattered to the SF FO.  I think extending the window to get a trade return and have cheap insurance made this a winning prop either way for SF. 

As for JimmyG - look at the contracts the “last man standing” has got the last 2 years - Winston  got league minimum in 2019 and Cam got less than 4M in 2020.   So the 7M + escalators plus no-trade clause (to have a say in any trade) is way better than the market holds   

The only “bad” outcome for SF don’t get a trade partner and they don’t need him.   Then they’ve wasted 7M.  But they’ve also extended the window to execute a trade and only lose 3M by the trade deadline.   And they guarantee #3 happens.   Since they now save 20M even if they don’t need him it’s a worthwhile gamble to extend the market by another 10 weeks.   

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 4

40 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Yes, because Lance’s potential is through the roof, they have been working on an entire new offensive scheme/playbook for over a year for when Lance takes over, and Jimmy is just an average NFL QB at best. 

Lance is literally built to run a Shanahan offense. He was drafted by a team that a season prior was five minutes away from winning the Super Bowl and is loaded with talent. He got a whole season to sit and develop.

If he isn't ready two years later in that ideal of a situation, he'll never be ready.

Quit making excuses for an obviously overrated QB that's trending towards bust status.

Edited by biggie.

30 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The only “bad” outcome for SF don’t get a trade partner and they don’t need him.   Then they’ve wasted 7M.  But they’ve also extended the window to execute a trade and only lose 3M by the trade deadline.   And they guarantee #3 happens.   

That's not actually the "bad" outcome. That would be the 24/7 non stop questioning and answering after each and every loss while Trey is looking over his shoulder waiting for the inevitable hook that is about to start for the next 5 months 

Whether he can overcome all of that or crumbles like Carson Wentz mentally post Foles SB,  remains to be seen. 

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, biggie. said:

Josh Allen is literally built to run a Daboll offense. He was drafted by a team that a season prior was in the wildcard round and is loaded with talent. He got valuable experience on the field to develop.

If he isn't ready two years later in that ideal of a situation, he'll never be ready.

Quit making excuses for an obviously overrated QB that's trending towards bust status going into 2020.

This.

The other part to this - if SF keeps him at 7M and lets him walk in FA next year - they almost certainly get an end of 3rd rd comp pick in 2025.  So they’re setting a baseline of a 2023 4th over waiting 2 years.    

At 7M base and a floor of a 2025 late 3rd it sets up for a far more interesting trade market than 27M guaranteed.    It’s not hard to see why the release (albeit with no pick compensation) was expected at 27M.  But this gives 10 weeks for someone to bite and sets financial terms that make a 4th pretty reasonable (and if it’s not SEA, could see even less required).   

Edited by Broncofan