Jimmy G is staying with the 49ers

BroncoSojia

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

That's not actually the "bad" outcome. That would be the 24/7 non stop questioning and answering after each and every loss while Trey is looking over his shoulder waiting for the inevitable hook that is about to start for the next 5 months 

Whether he can overcome all of that or crumbles like Carson Wentz mentally post Foles SB,  remains to be seen. 

If a guy is so mentally weak that he can't handle media noise, he was never going to make it in the league long term to begin with.

My guess with this 

Jimmy isn’t fully ready yet. 

Rehab come back don’t rush yourself and risk further injury. If you decide you do want to play somewhere you can determine it during the season. Let’s things play out. 

The no clause doesn’t mean he’s not getting traded. Just that he gets to dictate the trade if one goes through. 

I don’t think it’s that hard to understand as long as he’s not quite ready which he’s probably not based on the fact he just started throwing a month ago. 

Why risk everything going to a new team if your arm isn’t ready yet. That could damage you’re stock. 

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

The only “bad” outcome for SF don’t get a trade partner and they don’t need him.   Then they’ve wasted 7M.  But they’ve also extended the window to execute a trade and only lose 3M by the trade deadline.   And they guarantee #3 happens.   Since they now save 20M even if they don’t need him it’s a worthwhile gamble to extend the market by another 10 weeks.   

Great post

And even then you’ve still got him in the qb room helping the team and he’s helping your team in practice as a quality backup. 

It’s a good move for everyone. They’ve just got to stick with Lance regardless unless he gets hurt. 

• Like 2

I'm a little worried about the media narrative side of it, but from a football perspective its great. We instantly have the best backup QB in the NFL. Shanny has lost 2 seasons (2018, 2020) due to his starting QB getting injured, that wasn't an issue in 2021 and won't be an issue in 2022

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

This. This. This. 

Agreed. Let it play out, the entire year. Jimmy is the #1 premium backup in the league, and is there for solely injury. They can’t overthink this.

It’s an amazing insurance policy. Although like others said, the media narrative side of things is going to be a mess. But does anyone really care about the media?

Edited by BayRaider

2 hours ago, Forge said:

I hope the niners vote Jimmy to be a team captain

This is what's really sickening about this situation. You publicly back and tell Trey he's the man and it's his team to only have his main competition come back a week before the season starts. You got to feel for Trey because his team has put a target on his back. 

The worse part of this is if he has 4 bad games, it won't be just the media and fans wanting the hook, I'm sure a decent percentage in the locker room will feel the same. Jimmy has a lot of cred in there. This is just a shocking way to handle a young QB.

Edited by 4thandInches
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CKSteeler said:

If a guy is so mentally weak that he can't handle media noise, he was never going to make it in the league long term to begin with.

I agree. Hence my Wentz reference. Not every QB can handle that. Guess we'll find out one way or another which side of the coin Lance is.

3 hours ago, Swift21 said:

Every time he makes a mistake he's going to be looking over his shoulder. No way he's ready for that kind of pressure.

Then Lance was never the future if he allowed someone like Jimmy G who is the NFL equivalent of Fred Rogers to live rent free in his head. 

49ers moved heaven and Earth to move up and grab him. That should be enough for anyone drafted in that situation to assume they are going to have a super long leash. As much as one could have in the NFL. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

13 minutes ago, offbyone said:

49ers win on this.  Incredibly cheap insurance policy.  

If Lance can't handle the pressure of having Jimmy G there, then Lance isn't the guy anyways.

It's not really about the pressure of Jimmy being there for me. He handles it or he doesn't and you know quickly what you have . My issue is that shanny is desperately trying to thread this needle of being a super bowl contender and having/developing a guy he wants to be a franchise QB. My concern is what happens if they start 1-3? Certainly possible. I expect them to be 2-2 as it is. What if he's 3-6? If he splits his first 6 and is 3-3, his next 3 are chiefs, Rams, chargers. Easily could go 0-3 in those and nobody would think it's crazy bad or anything. Are they going to pull the Lance plug and insert Jimmy to save the season? Lance needs to play. He's always needed to play. For better or worse.

Likewise, What if Lance gets nicked up after starting 2-2, Jimmy comes in and goes 2-0 , plays great. Are you flipping to Jimmy? Its justifiable, but I don't know that you're doing Lance any favors

If shanny and Lynch thought that it was going to be sunshine and rainbows from jump with Lance, even after a year of sitting, they aren't reading from the same book most are. If the first three years were the most important, you should have went with Mac or fields. If they are going to commit to Lance through thick and thin, then this is mostly whatever. 

5 hours ago, GW21 said:

His value goes up quite a bit if a starting QB goes down and a team thinks they have a championship roster.

Remember when the Vikings traded for Bradford when Bridgewater went down? Say Brady goes down for the season. I can guarantee you that Tampa thinks that they have a championship roster and I highly doubt they’d hand over that team to Gabbert or Trask. 

To me all this move has done has bought the Niners more time to move Jimmy if something does happen to a starter and provide insurance in case Lance goes down. The 49ers also have a championship roster and Jimmy has proven he can take them deep into the playoffs if something did happen to Lance. 

Maybe Lance will suck as most here are pushing, but I don’t see that as a concern with our front office or the reason they brought Jimmy back.

This is how I see it too.  Regardless, his value is still there. He has proven to be a high-end stop gap and very few teams have a better replacement than him. You can do ALOT worse.

I swear, some people underestimate the value of a backup QB. Especially now with extended season. How many times have seen teams fall early in the playoffs, or miss it entirely, because they lost their starting QB to injury and they don't have a good enough backup to keep them afloat.

This move works out for both ends.  SF clears about 10M. They get to keep a good backup who is already familiar with the system. It buys the FO more time to move him and it essentially gives JG the option to choose where he wants to go if they do trade him.

And for those worried about Lance getting rattled by the move and putting him on the spot.  Listen, if this one move rattled him enough to get him off his game then he wasn't ever going to make as a starting NFL QB anyhow.

11 hours ago, Forge said:

It's not really about the pressure of Jimmy being there for me. He handles it or he doesn't and you know quickly what you have . My issue is that shanny is desperately trying to thread this needle of being a super bowl contender and having/developing a guy he wants to be a franchise QB. My concern is what happens if they start 1-3? Certainly possible. I expect them to be 2-2 as it is. What if he's 3-6? If he splits his first 6 and is 3-3, his next 3 are chiefs, Rams, chargers. Easily could go 0-3 in those and nobody would think it's crazy bad or anything. Are they going to pull the Lance plug and insert Jimmy to save the season? Lance needs to play. He's always needed to play. For better or worse.

Likewise, What if Lance gets nicked up after starting 2-2, Jimmy comes in and goes 2-0 , plays great. Are you flipping to Jimmy? Its justifiable, but I don't know that you're doing Lance any favors

If shanny and Lynch thought that it was going to be sunshine and rainbows from jump with Lance, even after a year of sitting, they aren't reading from the same book most are. If the first three years were the most important, you should have went with Mac or fields. If they are going to commit to Lance through thick and thin, then this is mostly whatever. 

It can't be about all Lance, it's also about whats best for the 49ers.  At this point the trade for Lance is already a failure in my book and has to be proven otherwise.  You can't use more than 3 first round picks on a player who isn't ready to play in year one. 

Your last paragraph hits the heart of the matter.  The real question is should they commit to him through thick and thin, in spite of the rest of the team?  I don't know the right answer.  On the one hand they made a massive investment and so they should probably do their best to develop him.  On the other hand, giving up a team's season for one player's development is a big sacrifice. 

I think they have proved that they are trying to invest in him and do what is right because they just sacrificed a year of his rookie contract doing just that.  If he still isn't ready now, the situation gets a bit fuzzier.  I would think Shanny will let Lance take his licks, at least for a while.  This isn't just about lance, this is about Shanny and lynch's ego too so I expect they are personally invested in him succeeding.   Shanny showed he can and will tailor an offense to cover up a qbs limitations with RG3.  I have to assume he is doing the same with Lance.  It is on lance now.

• Like 1

Lance is going to do a ton of rushing so I guess the injury factor will increase with that approach.  Good to have a solid contingency plan but puts so much added pressure on Lance to perform with a guy who just took SF deep into the playoffs.  Not sure why you want to do that to him but like I said not a complete head scratcher.  Walking a really fine line keeping him.

13 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

This is how I see it too.  Regardless, his value is still there. He has proven to be a high-end stop gap and very few teams have a better replacement than him. You can do ALOT worse.

I swear, some people underestimate the value of a backup QB. Especially now with extended season. How many times have seen teams fall early in the playoffs, or miss it entirely, because they lost their starting QB to injury and they don't have a good enough backup to keep them afloat.

This move works out for both ends.  SF clears about 10M. They get to keep a good backup who is already familiar with the system. It buys the FO more time to move him and it essentially gives JG the option to choose where he wants to go if they do trade him.

And for those worried about Lance getting rattled by the move and putting him on the spot.  Listen, if this one move rattled him enough to get him off his game then he wasn't ever going to make as a starting NFL QB anyhow.

Yes to an extent but there is a ton of added pressure now to perform especially with a Superbowl caliber roster.  I see why they want to keep JG but it's not without consequence.  It'll be nearly impossible for him to perform at the level needed to silence the noise for one and two to try and block it out 100%.  Anytime he speaks to the media after a loss those questions will be there.

Like I said earlier it's a fine line to walk with propping up your young QB to succeed while keeping a valuable piece on the roster.  It's going to be on Shanny to make it work.