Jimmy G is staying with the 49ers

BroncoSojia

3 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

How much money was left on Jimmy’s contract? I mean I guess it’s good that he believes himself enough to do that.

I don’t see what choice the 49ers had. It doesn’t appear that anyone really wanted him that much.

He took off roughly 18-19 million or so. His cap hit went from 27M to 8M. His base went from like 25 to 7 or something like that. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I'd imagine that was just to protect himself. I don't think he's going to say no to a trade to a quality team if it's an option. 

This. If there’s a team that wants him to start, he’s gonna jump at it and agree tl be traded.

If you go into week 1 w/Jimmy as the backup after everything that has transpired this offseason, the world assumes (and rightfully so) that its just a matter of time before Jimmy steps back in to retake the reins.  If you go to week 1 w/Jimmy as the starter after taking...checks notes...ZERO snaps in the offseason including practice, that's even worse.  The 9ers might as well trade Lance now bc they have totally fubar'd this process.  

I'm loving how Jimmy gets plausible deniability to what must be his own clear assessment that Lance is garbage, that it's only a matter of time before Jimmy is starting again. There is no other way to look at the contract restructure other than betting against Lance to succeed. 

9 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

I'm loving how Jimmy gets plausible deniability to what must be his own clear assessment that Lance is garbage, that it's only a matter of time before Jimmy is starting again. There is no other way to look at the contract restructure other than betting against Lance to succeed. 

As bets go, it's not a bad gamble. There has never really been a QB like Trey in terms of inexperience. Matt Cassel is probably the closest and he sat for 3 years and I would assume actually threw the ball in high school. 

Since his freshman year in high school, Trey Lance has thrown the ball about 500 times in games

Mac Jones threw more passes than that last year and he had a game where he threw 3 times

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886dozxxlwvxountzbm7p

I find it funny that this is the only way people can rationalize it.

Another way you can look at it is that Jimmy gets paid to hang around a team he enjoys while being paid to be a backup until a more attractive opportunity presents itself.

Why go be a backup on another team when he can stick around a familiar environment and wait for a job to open up that he actually values?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

It's not really a matter of plausible deniability for Jimmy as he didn't trade 3 first round picks for Lance, John Lynch did at the direction of Kyle Shanahan.  I'm curious how ownership views the regime.  It's an interesting tenure thus far.  2 very successful playoff runs in 5 years with truly horrendous seasons in between.  Then they mortgaged the future on the biggest gamble on talent in the draft.  And that's after paying a backup QB the richest contract in NFL history at the time. Only to then look to replace him, while ultimately bringing him back to possibly replace the replacement.  Anywhere else I think there would be serious questions about whether the regime should be o. The hot seat or not.

4 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Another way you can look at it is that Jimmy gets paid to hang around a team he enjoys while being paid to be a backup until a more attractive opportunity presents itself.

Why go be a backup on another team when he can stick around a familiar environment and wait for a job to open up that he actually values?

The only way JG increases his value is by playing.  If he is a backup all year and doesn't play a snap, he has a limited market with a limited contract value.  If, however, he jumps in to start and leads the 9ers back to playoffs after digging them out of whole he didn't make, then now he is on a different scale.

11 minutes ago, GW21 said:

But that was always going to be the way this was seen if they did this. Always. It's objectively a good move, but the optics are the optics and the story is the story. 

2 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

The only way JG increases his value is by playing.  If he is a backup all year and doesn't play a snap, he has a limited market with a limited contract value.  If, however, he jumps in to start and leads the 9ers back to playoffs after digging them out of whole he didn't make, then now he is on a different scale.

His value goes up quite a bit if a starting QB goes down and a team thinks they have a championship roster.

Remember when the Vikings traded for Bradford when Bridgewater went down? Say Brady goes down for the season. I can guarantee you that Tampa thinks that they have a championship roster and I highly doubt they’d hand over that team to Gabbert or Trask. 

To me all this move has done has bought the Niners more time to move Jimmy if something does happen to a starter and provide insurance in case Lance goes down. The 49ers also have a championship roster and Jimmy has proven he can take them deep into the playoffs if something did happen to Lance. 

Maybe Lance will suck as most here are pushing, but I don’t see that as a concern with our front office or the reason they brought Jimmy back.

• Like 2