2023 NFL Draft Prospects

Madmike90

45 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Personally that would be my preference right now as well…target a DL stud early in this draft (or a trade down) then try and find as many weapons as possible in the 2nd & 3rd…aand we should then be able to go BPA at high value positions.

We have a lot of cap space but the 2023 set to be free agents at both DT and WR don't look too worthy of investing big money on.

Poles may have to explore a trade if he's looking to add a difference maker at WR like what LV and Miami did last offseason or may just have to draft one in the first two rounds and hope he's a stud.

32 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

We have a lot of cap space but the 2023 set to be free agents at both DT and WR don't look too worthy of investing big money on.

Poles may have to explore a trade if he's looking to add a difference maker at WR like what LV and Miami did last offseason or may just have to draft one in the first two rounds and hope he's a stud.

I think it really depends on what Getsy wants at WR…if he wants that true stud #1 who he can scheme touches for like they did in GB then for me the trade market is the way to go…if he doesn’t and wants To be able to spread the ball around then I think there are a ton of second to mid rounders who would make this team better…

DL wise there are two guys I would target in FA at UT right now…#1 would be Zach Allen from the Cardinals…versatile and long for his height with a quality motor he could be that inside rusher we lack…Jerry Tillery is another guy who brings the same sort of traits and it was clear from how Indy added on the inside of their DL that height & length matter…he has always felt a little miscast in the Chargers D…getting him back to UT where he excellences for ND would make sense…also think the draft and being able to trade down for a guy like Gervon Dexter could be on the cards…Jalen Carter would be the dream but I reckon he goes higher than us and I also think Poles will always want to move back if possible given how much he has said he wants to give himself multiple swings…

The other hope of course is some of these teams loading up to try and win now then have cap casualties and we can then target them…as always so much will change in the offseason…it’s why the NFL feels like it never really stops outside a 4 week window 😂

• Like 1

Another WR I was really high on coming into the season was Virginia's Dontayvion Wicks who last season went for over 1,200 yards as a sophomore...he has ideal size, length, strength and ball skills for this offence but he has been massively punished for the change in offensive scheme at Virginia with the entire offence struggling to adjust...if Wicks does declare hopefully it lowers his stock and we can get him in the mid rounds because the talent is there for him to develop into a starter down the line.

I have a lot of faith in Justin Fields becoming a quality QB for us especially when we allow him more than 2 games against playoff teams in a new scheme and give him more weapons before we truly judge him (let's not turn this into another Fields thread)...

But does anyone remember when we went through a phase of always drafting a safety in the 4th round? I would love us to get into that habit when it comes to QBs given the value you can flip those guys for down the line and if Fields doesn't pan out or gets hurt you have someone in your system who really knows what they are doing...Sam Hartman from Wake Forest is exactly the type of guy I would target...he will get torn apart in the pre draft process for his lack of size and arm strength and people will say he is just a system QB but he has moxy and just gets the QB position...other guys like Devin Leary, Jaren Hall, Grayson McCall & Aidan O'Connell could also fall into this category depending on where we want to take a guy but future planning has to become bigger for this franchise. 

• Like 2

On 9/24/2022 at 3:16 PM, Madmike90 said:

But does anyone remember when we went through a phase of always drafting a safety in the 4th round? I would love us to get into that habit when it comes to QBs given the value you can flip those guys for down the line and if Fields doesn't pan out or gets hurt you have someone in your system who really knows what they are doing...Sam Hartman from Wake Forest is exactly the type of guy I would target...he will get torn apart in the pre draft process for his lack of size and arm strength and people will say he is just a system QB but he has moxy and just gets the QB position...other guys like Devin Leary, Jaren Hall, Grayson McCall & Aidan O'Connell could also fall into this category depending on where we want to take a guy but future planning has to become bigger for this franchise. 

I agree.  I've always wanted us to do this too....keep drafting guys and always have a developmental QB waiting in the wings just in case until we get it right. You never know when you might find the next Russell Wilson.  We have a terrible track record of developing QBs but the more darts you throw the higher the chance you have at finding one and eventually we have to get it right.....right? 

However, I'm not sure it's very realistic anymore either with the rookie pay scale unless it happens in the same year a team is looking for a new starting QB. If a team already has a QB on a rookie deal they're trying to develop then those 4th and 5th round picks are more crucial in building around him. But if they don't have a QB then most teams are going QB in round 1.  In our case, I would like to see us doubling down in round 3-5 as a just in case.

@Madmike90 All that said and since we're just spit balling here....Will Rogers is quickly moving up charts so I'm not sure he'll be available in rounds 3-5 but he's another one to keep an eye on.  Much like you were saying about Hartman, alot of people are writing him of as a system QB under Mike leach's offense. 

Rogers doesn't do well under pressure and he's propensity to throw off his back off is a legit concern. But that's coachable and the man is deadly accurate on all throws at all levels.

He's not as athletic as most QBs and is strictly a pocket passer, but that's not a bad thing.....even in today's NFL. There's advantages and disadvantages to both. Running QBs offer alot more versatility to offenses but are also at a much higher risk of injury due to the amount hits they take and are not usually as accurate with the ball (save for the anomalies like Mahomes/Josh Allen ). Pocket passers take less hits and are generally more healthy for longer periods and are usually more accurate because they're used to being able to set their feet before the throw as opposed to throwing on the run or while escaping pressure.  I would much rather have a deadly accurate pocket passer who is available every week than a less accurate athlete who may a miss a few games a year and have to play banged up during others.

Edited by JAF-N72EX

2 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

@Madmike90 All that said and since we're just spit balling here....Will Rogers is quickly moving up charts so I'm not sure he'll be available in rounds 3-5 but he's another one to keep an eye on.  Much like you were saying about Hartman, alot of people are writing him of as a system QB under Mike leach's offense. 

Rogers doesn't do well under pressure and he's propensity to throw off his back off is a legit concern. But that's coachable and the man is deadly accurate on all throws at all levels.

He's not as athletic as most QBs and is strictly a pocket passer, but that's not a bad thing.....even in today's NFL. There's advantages and disadvantages to both. Running QBs offer alot more versatility to offenses but are also at a much higher risk of injury due to the amount hits they take and are not usually as accurate with the ball (save for the anomalies like Mahomes/Josh Allen ). Pocket passers take less hits and are generally more healthy for longer periods and are usually more accurate because they're used to being able to set their feet before the throw as opposed to throwing on the run or while escaping pressure.  I would much rather have a deadly accurate pocket passer who is available every week than a less accurate athlete who may a miss a few games a year and have to play banged up during others.

Rogers has played really well from what I have seen this year...Cam Ward at Washington State who is maybe helped by scheme but has a lot of tools to work with...not sure either comes out this year but they would be really good development guys.

It's good to see Illinois having some success again...they also have some dudes on that team...Chase Brown gets all the plaudits on that offence but it's the defence which stands out to me...Devon Witherspoon would be a great fit at CB for us with his instincts and hitting...Jartavius Martin is another good later round CB prospect...the guy I really like the look of is Jer'Zhan Newton at UT...6-2" 295lbs and has the explosiveness you need for that spot...22 QB pressures, 5 QB hits, 3 Sacks, 4.5 TFL through 5 games...he is a redshirt sophomore so might not come out but if he did he would be a solid pick up for us and allow Justin Jones to play that more natural "Tank Johnson" DT role.